I'm goin the other way

Scrappy777

I'm on the opposite side of most people when it comes to drafting Woodson wit a first round pic. I dont think we should draft him with a top five pick but if a Dalllas trade is possible i would pick him up with one of those first rounders. Theres questions bout every QB in this draft. I personally feel like Woodson has the least out of all of them. You can ? Flacco and the level of comp. he went against, you cant do that wit Woodson. You can say Booty had all world talent around, you cant say that with Woodson. Theres major ?'s bout Henne and his consistency, not Woodson. Dennis Dixon would be nice who knows how hes gonna bounce back from his knee, mobility is his best tool. I'm not sayin Woodson has no flaws, cause he does, but he consistently did the most, with not as good talent in the best conference in NCAA football and hes not injured. You can bash this all you want, but its jus my opinion.

Falcons for Life!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see Im not alone on the Andre Woodson bandwagon.

When you really analyze his numbers and him as a prospect, it's amazing how little love he gets.

Out of all the highly regarded QBs in the draft, here's a guy who has better numbers and has gotten it done against tougher competition. Here's a guy who has no durability concerns (unlike Brohm), no character concerns (like a Ryan Leaf), no size concerns (like a DD or JJ), no competition concerns (like JJ or Flacco), no nothing.

The ONLY thing they can use to criticize him is his throwing motion.

They ignore all those other areas where he has positives to harp on his freaking throwing motion and I think it's being blown way out of proportion when you consider they are using it to negate all those other positives.

I've never seen a QB turn around his career like Woodson did his final 2 years at UK and put up those type of numbers against that type of competition.

Andre Woodson has as many passing TDs in his last two years at UK than Brian Brohm has his entire career.

He has almost as many TDs THIS YEAR than a prospect like Jason Campbell had his ENTIRE CAREER.

These last two years he almost has as many TDs as Peyton Manning had in his last THREE.

And he did it while setting an NCAA record for TDs without a pick. Im sorry that throwing motion thing has to be blown WAY out of proportion.

Scrappy777 (1/20/2008)
I wouldn't take him with a top five pick, but maybe around 18. Me seein how Josh Johnson performed is makin me think that maybe we jus focus on our lines MLB and maybe RB and we pick JJ up in the 3rd ( stock rising to fast, might not make it to the 4th ).

The thing about Josh Johnson is that even if he is the real deal, we have to remember we aren't the only team in the league drafting.

There may be a team that pulls the trigger on him in the 2nd round or in the 3rd before us.

We absolutely cannot leave the 1st day of this draft without a QB, and if Woodson is the guy we have to take, then he's hardly a bad consolation prize considering he has more upside than any of the highly regarded QB prospects.

The Cush (1/20/2008)
Woodson's release is a MAJOR issue. Elite QB's get rid of the ball very quickly. If he can change his motion without changing his accuracy, he'll be ok. If not, he won't he'll be above average AT BEST. JMO.

Elite QBs get rid of the ball quickly because they process INFORMATION quickly. It has nothing to do with their throwing motion which there is not even a 1/4 of a second of a difference in.

Bad QBs can't process information and they just hold on to the football. It has nothing to do with their throwing animation being 2-3 seconds longer, its that they literally aren't decisive with the ball.

I wish we could go in a time machine because it's not even funny how stupid Woodson is going to make people look for harping on this if he lives up to his potential

busboyisback (1/20/2008)
The Cush (1/20/2008)
Woodson's release is a MAJOR issue. Elite QB's get rid of the ball very quickly. If he can change his motion without changing his accuracy, he'll be ok. If not, he won't he'll be above average AT BEST. JMO.

Elite QBs get rid of the ball quickly because they process INFORMATION quickly. It has nothing to do with their throwing motion which there is not even a 1/4 of a second of a difference in.

Bad QBs can't process information and they just hold on to the football. It has nothing to do with their throwing animation being 2-3 seconds longer, its that they literally aren't decisive with the ball.

I wish we could go in a time machine because it's not even funny how stupid Woodson is going to make people look for harping on this if he lives up to his potential

No, I'm talking about actual release time... the time from the start of the motion, to the time the ball is released. It has significant relevance in a game where split seconds can mean a lot...

The Cush (1/20/2008)

No, I'm talking about actual release time... the time from the start of the motion, to the time the ball is released. It has significant relevance in a game where split seconds can mean a lot...

woodson2.jpg

33-37853-F.jpg

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The entire throwing motion from the wind up to the release. It's not even a freaking second. The freaking difference between one QB and another would have to be measured in frames of slow motion replay.

QBs who stink like Joey Harrington literally hold on to the ball for SECONDS too long. They simply can't process the information quick enough.

Andre Woodson surveys the field and he gets rid of the football. The most important thing about a QB's release is that he keeps the ball high near his ear level with his initial motion. Someone like Leftwich may actually have an animation that takes a complete second because he brings it all the way down to HIS HIP.

Woodson on the other hand keeps it high like he's supposed to, he does the right thing with his off arm, shoulders etc. And the idea that something that is probably 1/10 if a second of a difference negates all those positives he has is ridiculous.

Im curious if some team who wants him started this propaganda because of how absurd it is.

busboyisback (1/20/2008)
The Cush (1/20/2008)

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The entire throwing motion from the wind up to the release.

It's not even a freaking second. The freaking difference between one QB and another would have to be measured in frames of slow motion replay.

QBs who stink like Joey Harrington literally hold on to the ball for SECONDS too long. They simply can't process the information quick enough.

Andre Woodson surveys the field and he gets rid of the football. The most important thing about a QB's release is that he keeps the ball high near his ear level with his initial motion. Someone like Leftwich may actually have an animation that takes a complete second because he brings it all the way down to his hip.

Woodson on the other hand keeps it high like he's supposed to, he does the right thing with his off arm, shoulders etc. And the idea that something that is probably 1/10 if a second of a difference negates all those positives he has is ridiculous.

Im curious if some team who wants him started this propaganda because of how absurd it is.

It's not ridiculous and it's more than a tenth of a second. It can be the difference between a completed pass or a pass breakup or getting the ball out or instead of having a fumble.

The Cush (1/20/2008)
It's not ridiculous and it's more than a tenth of a second. It can be the difference between a completed pass or a pass breakup or getting the ball out or instead of having a fumble.

The point is it's a FRACTION OF A SECOND.

QBs who get sacked hold on to the ball for MULTIPLE seconds too long.

The idea that the disparity between his animation and other QBs is long enough for someone to make a break on the football is ludicrous.

Maybe in bullet time

busboyisback (1/20/2008)

The idea that the disparity between his animation and other QBs is long enough for someone to make a break on the football is ludicrous.

Maybe in bullet time

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the argument about a quick release applies as much to a sack as it does to the window of time a QB has to pass through to a given receiver.

L.Rover (1/20/2008)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the argument about a quick release applies as much to a sack as it does to the window of time a QB has to pass through to a given receiver.

Yeah that window of opportunity is 2-4 seconds per play. Well maybe 4-8 if you're Tom Brady.

The majority of that time is spent processing information based off the play and pre-snap read.

The release is just a fraction of that time. What separates QBs is the number of seconds it takes them to process that information.

The idea that the release time plays a bigger role than processing the information and poise in the pocket is just absurd

busboyisback (1/20/2008)
The Cush (1/20/2008)

Maybe in bullet time

You can ask Dan marino or John Elway if it's ludicrous, or Joe Namath... in today's NFL, Manning, Brady, and Romo have some of the quickest releases. It's no secret that the elite QBs in the history of the NFL have a very quick release.

grendel (1/20/2008)
Richard Nixon (1/20/2008)
Woodson would not be a bad choice at all in the middle of the first, he does not have a perfect release and will need coaching, but he has talent and he has a sack, that's more than just about any other quarterback in this class can say.

You can't coach stupid = no Matt Ryan

You can't completely change a guy's mechanics = no Woodson or Brennan

Not completely, no, but it's not impossible to have good quarterback play with an unusual release, even an unfavorable one that does not get the ball out of the quarterback's hands quick enough. With coaching, and of course improved protection, he's tough enough and talented enough to get the job done for us.

I'm a UK fan, have seen Woodson a bunch. He has been known to hold on to the ball too long in the pocket. He's got a lot of upside, though. I think he might still available at the end of the first round/start of second. Maybe we could trade up and get two first round selections, like the Browns did with Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn last year. Maybe he will fall to us in the second. I wouldn't mind Woodson but I think I like Flacco better.

Not completely, no, but it's not impossible to have good quarterback play with an unusual release, even an unfavorable one that does not get the ball out of the quarterback's hands quick enough. With coaching, and of course improved protection, he's tough enough and talented enough to get the job done for us.

People just make up unwritten rules to keep the status quo.

First you have to be a certain color. Then you have to have a certain kind of release.

Then you have to have a certain completion percentage or passer rating.

As long as Andre Woodson can make pre-snap reads, understands coverage, displays the ability to throw the ball with velocity as well as touch in tight windows, a fraction of a second longer in delivery will hardly stop him from being a great QB.

But, it goes without saying, if we get Woodson, the rest of the draft we must keep in mind that we must protect Woodson. Offensive line would be the top priority through the rest of the draft, as it should be, anyway.

As you stated, it should be anyway.

As much as I want Josh Johnson, if that inclines us to let him have crappy Oline play and improvise like Vick had to do all those years, Im against it.

We haven't had consistent Oline play on this team since the early 1980s.

It's about time we invest in an Oline. It's pretty much the one common denominator that all successful offenses have

busboyisback (1/20/2008)

People just make up unwritten rules to keep the status quo.

First you have to be a certain color. Then you have to have a certain kind of release.

Then you have to have a certain completion percentage or passer rating.

As long as Andre Woodson can make pre-snap reads, understands coverage, displays the ability to throw the ball with velocity as well as touch in tight windows, a fraction of a second longer in delivery will hardly stop him from being a great QB.

I certainly didn't make up that the elite QBs have a quick release...