Falcons to interview Frazier

woodstockfan

hmmmmm...interesting...nothing being said about the interviews

Leslie Frazier

Professional Biography

The Minnesota Vikings have named Leslie Frazier as defensive coordinator. Frazier comes to the Vikings less than a week after helping Indianapolis win Super Bowl XLI, the 2nd Super Bowl title he has been associated with as a player and coach. Frazier was a starter on the 1985 Bears that won Super Bowl XX over New England. In his 8 NFL seasons Frazier has been a part of teams that have gone 81-47 and has been a part of 7 straight campaigns with a .500 record or better and played in 3 conference championship games.

Along with his 8 NFL seasons under his belt, Frazier has another 11 seasons of collegiate experience. Frazier spent the 2005 and 2006 seasons with Indianapolis working with the Colts defensive backs. In 2005 Frazier helped the team rank #11 in total defense and sent S Bob Sanders to the Pro Bowl, the 1st Colts DB to earn a berth in the game since 1971.

Frazier got his 1st taste of NFL coaching from 1999-2002 with Philadelphia as the Eagles DBs coach. He moved on to Cincinnati in 2003 and 2004 as the Bengals defensive coordinator where he helped turn the unit into a ball-hawking group that increased takeaways from 24 in 2003 to 36 in 2004. The Bengals 36 takeaways in 04 ranked 3rd in the NFL. The 2004 Bengals notched 20 interceptions, the most since 1996.

Frazier started his coaching career in 1988 as the 1st head coach at Trinity College in Illinois. He held the position for 9 seasons and built the NAIA program from the ground up and won a pair of Northern Illinois Intercollegiate Conference titles before he moved on to the University of Illinois in 1997 and 98 as the Illini DBs coach.

Frazier played from 1981-86 with the Chicago Bears and was a starter for the 1985 Bears and led the team in interceptions from 1983-85. He notched 20 interceptions in his 65 career games and scored a pair of TDs on returns. An All-America honoree at Alcorn State, Frazier was a standout in football and baseball.

NFL History

COACHING:

1988-96.......... Trinity College........................ Head Coach

1997-98.......... University of Illinois................. DBs

1999-2002...... Philadelphia Eagles............... DBs

2003-04.......... Cincinnati Bengals................. Defensive Coordinator

2005-06.......... Indianapolis Colts................... Special Asst. to Head Coach/DBs

/b]

BigSlick (1/19/2008)
Frazier actually looks like a pretty good candidate. Not to mention he played with Ron Rivera and Mike Singletary. Both of those guys are going to be looking to be DC's or HC's again. Rivera being the better candidate for DC in my opinion.

I love the way this whole process has turned since Dimitroff has gotten here....I just like knowing that Dimitroff is calling the shots now and I am so glad that Falcons did not hire a coach before he got there.

I think that Dimitroff will make "the right" hire and have confidence in him. Leslie Frazier's resume' supports being deserving of an interview. I thought the Jags Mike Smith deserved a 2nd interview as I'm very impressed with his defensive unit as well. Of course most of you know by now that I am a big Steve Spagnuolo fan.....

Dimitroff has Falcons heading in right direction and his first stamp on the franchise will be selecting the head coach. While the Falcons will NOT have a winning record next year - there simply is no chance - I predict after the coaching hire, free agency, draft, etc. - the Falcons will at least have "hope" again after the 2008 season.

now gimme Spags!;)

Im impressed with Frazier he been with very good coaches in the past both Andy Reid and Dungy. Hes moved up the coaching chain from DB coach to special assistant coach to coordinator. Has anybody heard Vikings fan complain about his D this year cause I thought they were pretty good?

Okay, I guess I'm the only one who dislikes Frazier.

Now if we hire him, I'll love him, at least for a while, and I'll pray that I'm wrong about him. My first thought is "Okay, he has been the DC at Cinci and Indi last year when they won the SB."

Now after that thought, my second thought is Cinci's defense has always sucked, even when their offense was lighting it up. And then here comes my third thought, when Indi was in the SB run, no one gave them a chance to win because their defense stunk all year long. They were underdogs in most games I think. For some reason, their D stepped up big time in the playoffs when it was non-existant all year long. Manning was winning games for them, not their defense that year.

Then there comes an optimistic thought. "HC and DC are very different animals, and if we hired him, there'd be someone else as DC. He'll just be the motivator mostly, since he probably wouldn't be calling the plays on offense."

Ugggh!!!

I'd much prefer Spags.

celtik

I love the way this whole process has turned since Dimitroff has gotten here....I just like knowing that Dimitroff is calling the shots now and I am so glad that Falcons did not hire a coach before he got there.

I think that Dimitroff will make "the right" hire and have confidence in him. Leslie Frazier's resume' supports being deserving of an interview. I thought the Jags Mike Smith deserved a 2nd interview as I'm very impressed with his defensive unit as well. Of course most of you know by now that I am a big Steve Spagnuolo fan.....

Dimitroff has Falcons heading in right direction and his first stamp on the franchise will be selecting the head coach. While the Falcons will NOT have a winning record next year - there simply is no chance - I predict after the coaching hire, free agency, draft, etc. - the Falcons will at least have "hope" again after the 2008 season.

now gimme Spags!

Another excellent post G-dawg. Despite our differences on Joe Flacco, you always bring some good insight and clarity to your posts.

can't wait to see the media and malcontents in the fanbase if we hire him......

"Head Coach of Trinity College????......there goes Blanx ego again hiring someone who won't take the spotlight off him as owner. Blanx hires an obscure college coach, a guy who's only head coaching experience is with Trinity College and a guy who has spent more years in college football than the NFL!!! Blanx wonT give up the power!! He will be McKays puppet!!!!"

The material that the media spins to feed the malcontents and conspiracy theorists is so predictable.

can't wait to see the media and malcontents in the fanbase if we hire him......

"Head Coach of Trinity College????......there goes Blanx ego again hiring someone who won't take the spotlight off him as owner. Blanx hires an obscure college coach, a guy who's only head coaching experience is with Trinity College and a guy who has spent more years in college football than the NFL!!! Blanx wonT give up the power!! He will be McKays puppet!!!!"

The material that the media spins to feed the malcontents and conspiracy theorists is so predictable.

Wow, another excellent post and in the same thread! How'd you guys get past security? :)

celtiksage (1/19/2008)
Okay, I guess I'm the only one who dislikes Frazier.

Now if we hire him, I'll love him, at least for a while, and I'll pray that I'm wrong about him. My first thought is "Okay, he has been the DC at Cinci and Indi last year when they won the SB."

Now after that thought, my second thought is Cinci's defense has always sucked, even when their offense was lighting it up. And then here comes my third thought, when Indi was in the SB run, no one gave them a chance to win because their defense stunk all year long. They were underdogs in most games I think. For some reason, their D stepped up big time in the playoffs when it was non-existant all year long. Manning was winning games for them, not their defense that year.

Then there comes an optimistic thought. "HC and DC are very different animals, and if we hired him, there'd be someone else as DC. He'll just be the motivator mostly, since he probably wouldn't be calling the plays on offense."

Ugggh!!!

I'd much prefer Spags.

celtik

Check out Cinn defense before and after Frazier was there and you can see the different he did for them. I believe the points per game different was around 6 pts a game or so.

As for his time with the Colts, sure it didn't look good but then when was the last time the Colts had a good defense? I think you had to go back to 2002 before you can find them not being at the bottom of the league in giving up points. Frazier might not have been able to improve them, but they aren't doing any better before or after him.

Interview him today and have a press conf. tonight. Let's get this thing over with. We need a coach. I don't know about anyone else but this is killing me looking at ESPN.com every hour to see it there is any news. It doesn't have to be some big name. Just someone who knows football and wants to build this team into something great. Thomas came from NE where he has been planning for this job for over 20 years. He said he has been taking notes and planning when he was marking lines on the football field. We need a coach who has been carefully planning and taking notes over the years waiting to get this chance. And when we hire someone we all need to stand behind him because when its done its done and there is no amount of bitching and wining that is going to change it. I'm sure #21 will do enough of that for us all.:)

drneckbone (1/19/2008)
I would love to see Rivera as DC. May be I missed it but I have not seen anyone post that yet.

That's what I've been saying! Look at what the bears D did last year with Rivera and what they did this year without him. Besides Frazier and Rivera played on that 85 Bears defense together...I could see them putting together a helluva Falcons D.

Chad Holcomb (1/19/2008)
Interview him today and have a press conf. tonight. Let's get this thing over with. We need a coach. I don't know about anyone else but this is killing me looking at ESPN.com every hour to see it there is any news. It doesn't have to be some big name. Just someone who knows football and wants to build this team into something great. Thomas came from NE where he has been planning for this job for over 20 years. He said he has been taking notes and planning when he was marking lines on the football field. We need a coach who has been carefully planning and taking notes over the years waiting to get this chance. And when we hire someone we all need to stand behind him because when its done its done and there is no amount of bitching and wining that is going to change it. I'm sure #21 will do enough of that for us all.:)

i agree, it's tough waiting it out, but i'd rather the process take longer, personally, if it means we land the right guy. right now i'd like schwartz. he only has a couple of top tier players on that defense, yet both pass and rush ranked top 10 in the NFL. Schwartz is my guy now that Ryan is out of the running. However, the more this drags on, the more I think Spagnuolo is Dimitroff's primary target as head coach.

Chad Holcomb (1/19/2008)

I know it is killing you to have to wait, but if we have to wait until the superbowl is over and get the best candidate it will be much better. Would you rather get it over with quickly and then pull your hair out b/c we made the wrong choice. We can wait a week or two to get it right!

falcons4life

Wow, another excellent post and in the same thread! How'd you guys get past security? :)

LOL!

I agree with the notion that Dimitroff is strongly influencing things....this coaching search has taken an obvious turn since the day he got here. Dimitroff must have made it clear that there are plenty of good candidates still out there past the big names, and it is better to be thorough than it is to be hasty.