The Big Questions Why Did Blank Fire Jim Mora Jr

Jeffrey Olney

basically we were in a playoff run....had a primetime game coming up against dallas. Mora is interviewed by a radio station out of Washington and basically said that he would leave the Falcons, in the middle of a super bowl year, if offered the Washington Huskies job...needless to say that didnt go over well with Blank...especially not making it to the playoffs after that

Jeffrey Olney (1/19/2008)
The Big Questions Why Did Blank Fire Jim Mora Jr He Was A Good Coach That Should Still Be Here Who Agrees?

Mora was a good coach? Sometimes, a poster makes a comment and when the post doesn't receive any responses he may think that his analysis is valid. The reality is most readers viewed the original post as being so dumb as to not be worthy of a reply.

Most all the reasons already listed here, but I think the majority of it was the Washington comments and his dedication to Knapp. Also didn't think Zonatell was lightin' it up either, but I'm not sure if he was another Mora-buddy.

Mora wasn't that bad, but he and the whole team relied too much on YKW. I'm not sure the holes in our team would have ever become as glaringly clear as they did this year w/out things going down w/both of them the way they did. It's probalby a good thing in the long run.

The first half of every season is more on the players, because every team has something new about it going into a new season that coaches haven't yet figured out, and the teams with the best players win those games. The second half of the season is more on the coaches, because there's game film that's been studied, tendencies read and game planned for, etc. Mora was a first half of the season coach, if you get what I'm saying.

Because he totally lost control of this team, and after the 8th game of the season, he was at a loss for words concerning peptalks and getting his team fired up. He probably couldn't motivate a field mouse with a wildfire if he tried. He was fired because he sucked at being an HC. He is a lifer assistant coach.

celtik

celtiksage (1/19/2008)
Because he totally lost control of this team, and after the 8th game of the season, he was at a loss for words concerning peptalks and getting his team fired up. He probably couldn't motivate a field mouse with a wildfire if he tried. He was fired because he sucked at being an HC. He is a lifer assistant coach.

celtik

a good example of this would be when we beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the Monday Night opener in 2005. Everyone was pumped up for the game....and we won. The following game was against a much lesser team, dont remember who it was, and they showed Mora pre game trying to get the guys fired up and it all looked fake or forced...and we ended up getting our buts beat by a lesser team.

because our owner is an EGO-MANIC, popularity driven, community POLITICO and is a FOOTBALL IDIOT. Its that plain and simple, and its about time the Atlanta Falcon fans understand this. WE HAVE AN OWNER PROBLEM, and less he gives up 100% of football operations, I'm afraid to even talk about WHERE eventually this franchise is going.....(hint: think a city other than Atlanta).

celtiksage (1/19/2008)

celtik

Totally agree and don't forget the cell phone call, the Huskie interview but mostly for me was his lack of making personnel changes ie Knapp and Donatell.

What is amazing is Mora withdrawing his name from the Redskin coaching job in an abrupt fashion. This tells me that Holgrem may be stepping down and someone has told him he will get the HC job. If he gets it and I think he will it will truly show his lack of HC skills with a aging team and a very fickle fan base in Seattle. It will truly be a comedy of errors watching him take over team after a coach like Holgrem.

He was the team's best friend and cheerleader.

The story about how the team was going to see an inspirational movie and while everyone piled onto the buses, Mora got off the bus, jumped into DHalls Lambo and they sped off together....that to me showed he was more interested in being a friend and buddy and not a real coach.

Add to that the Radio show about the Wash job and then pile on everything else and you get an idea why he isnt here.

A little harsh, but your main point is true. Mr. Blank is too involved in the football ops side. He should take a tip from Ted Turner, and back off. The Braves didn't become a consistent winner until he stepped aside and handed the reins to John Schuerholz. Tom Dimitroff can become our Schuerholz. It won't happen overnight but it will happen if MB backs off.