So Harbaugh is qualified and Singletary isnt???

Rattler4life

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st, Harbaugh has 10 years of total coaching experience compared to Singletary's 5.

2nd, the Ravens had worked is Singletary on their staff for 3 years, and Singletary is close friends with Raven's GM Ozzie Newsome. The Ravens never even called the 9ers to ask for permission to speak with Singletary. That right there should tell you volumes about how ready Singletary is to be a HC.

3rd, who says the Ravens have not made a mistake hiring a guy who hasn't been more than a ST's & DB coach in the NFL?

Rattler4life (1/18/2008)
he is qualified? what makes Harbaugh more qualified than Singletary?...

Harbaugh had never run a team, called plays or gameplaned....hmmmm

So I don't want to hear Singletary isn't ready...

I like Singletary. I do not want him as Atlanta's head coach right now, but maybe he is just not smart enough. I mean the best coaches are great because of the intellectual ability, not because of their playing skills or their motivational skills. Motivation only lasts about 5 minutes into each half and after that it comes down to a chess match and execution. I am not saying Singletary is not smart enough, but maybe he is not as a fast of a learner as some other guys. There is nothing wrong with that, but I am just trying to use logic here on why he maybe getting passed over. I still wouldn't mind having the combo of Ryan HC/Singletary DC though.

southga08 (1/19/2008)
Rattler4life (1/18/2008)

I like Singletary. I do not want him as Atlanta's head coach right now, but maybe he is just not smart enough. I mean the best coaches are great because of the intellectual ability, not because of their playing skills or their motivational skills. Motivation only lasts about 5 minutes into each half and after that it comes down to a chess match and execution. I am not saying Singletary is not smart enough, but maybe he is not as a fast of a learner as some other guys. There is nothing wrong with that, but I am just trying to use logic here on why he maybe getting passed over. I still wouldn't mind having the combo of Ryan HC/Singletary DC though.

And maybe you are just too dumb to realize your own agenda!

southga08 (1/19/2008)
Rattler4life (1/18/2008)

Wow . . . I didn't know you knew Singletary like that.

Otherwise, where else would you get that "he's not a fast learner"? :hehe:

birdonawire (1/19/2008)
southga08 (1/19/2008)
Rattler4life (1/18/2008)

And maybe you are just too dumb to realize your own agenda!

I don't have an agenda. I could care less who is coach if we win a Super Bowl, but from everything I hear about Singletary is that he is not ready.

News flash everybody. Everybody doesn't learn at the same pace. Everybody is not as smart as the person next to him. Everybody is not as great of an athlete as Singletary. Saying that person A had 'X' number of years of experience before becoming a head coach, does not have anything with person B's experience. In all forms of business there are talented smart people who are working for more talented smarter people with less experience. I don't know Singletary, he could be the next Einstein for all I know, but from every report I read they make it sound like he is not ready. Can we fault another coach who has the same experience as Singletary for being smarter or faster learner? Of course not. Are they smarter? I have no idea, but the GM's for these teams who tried to hire Harbaugh and Garrett must think so. I am just trying to figure out why he is not ready, and this is the only LOGICAL conclusion that I have come up with so far. I am a very analytical person and do not like trying to argue with people based on emotional stances, because I myself am not using emotion or bias in my statement. I am just looking for a logical reason. Give me a logical reason, and I will gladly listen. At this point I am just speculating based off of the few facts that have been revealed. There is too many unknowns in the equation that is known as Singletary for me to take a hard line stance on this issue.

Does Singletary have the tools to lead a team to a Superbowl? Almost every position on the football field is a thinking position. You must be able to read on the fly and make quick decisions. Singletary was the quarterback of the Chicago Bears defense and he was responsible for having his players on the field in the right position to stop the other team's offense. From watching him play (as a fan during that time), he excelled at the position. But remember, we only watched him play from Sunday to Sunday. During the week he watched film after film of the other team's offense to gain a tatical advantage over his opponents. By the way, Jamie Dukes stated some of the same qualities of Deion Sanders, no one stayed in the film room as much as Sanders. Sure, he was blessed with athletic abilities way beyond other players during his time, but he made most plays with his head. Jamie stated he (Deion) watched so many films of the opposing teams, that he knew what the other team was going to run and jumped the plays for interceptions or to make a stop.

We give Manning and Brady credit for changing the plays at the line of scrimmage to gain an advantage over the other team's defense, but not to Singletary for putting his players in the right position to make a stop on defense. Singletary should make an excellent coach, his experience comes from years of not only playing the game, but of also studying the game as well. During his playing days, he was an extra coach on the field too.

Rattler4life (1/18/2008)

Nor has he ever played in the league :blink:

Perhaps he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express :D

vba67 (1/19/2008)
Does Singletary have the tools to lead a team to a Superbowl? Almost every position on the football field is a thinking position. You must be able to read on the fly and make quick decisions. Singletary was the quarterback of the Chicago Bears defense and he was responsible for having his players on the field in the right position to stop the other team's offense. From watching him play (as a fan during that time), he excelled at the position. But remember, we only watched him play from Sunday to Sunday. During the week he watched film after film of the other team's offense to gain a tatical advantage over his opponents. By the way, Jamie Dukes stated some of the same qualities of Deion Sanders, no one stayed in the film room as much as Sanders. Sure, he was blessed with athletic abilities way beyond other players during his time, but he made most plays with his head. Jamie stated he (Deion) watched so many films of the opposing teams, that he knew what the other team was going to run and jumped the plays for interceptions or to make a stop.

We give Manning and Brady credit for changing the plays at the line of scrimmage to gain an advantage over the other team's defense, but not to Singletary for putting his players in the right position to make a stop on defense. Singletary should make an excellent coach, his experience comes from years of not only playing the game, but of also studying the game as well. During his playing days, he was an extra coach on the field too.

U just exposed the nay sayers of this thread!

They now look extremely lame as a result of your well thoughtout, well written post :)

Thank You 4 being of sound logic Sir ;)

Smashmouth (1/19/2008)
vba67 (1/19/2008)

U just exposed the nay sayers of this thread!

They now look extremely lame as a result of your well thoughtout, well written post :)

Thank You 4 being of sound logic Sir ;)

Logic? So. by the logic you mean because a guy was one of the best ever on the field then that should translate to a great coach? Sorry, it just doesnt work that way. I will give Singletary all the credit in the world for helping adjust his defenses on the fly, just as much as Brady or Manning. But guess what....I dont want Brady or Manning as a coach either!

So by this great "logic" that has exposed the naysayers we should hire. Barry Sanders as head coach, Dan Marino QB's and OC. **** Butkus DC, Ronnie Lott, DB's, EricDickerson RB's, you get the point.

Those guys only have 5 less years coaching and besides, according to the great logic, experience as a coach doesnt matter.

EVERY player that ever wore an NFL uniform watched film, made adjustments in game, and studied the game. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Just because he was the best at his position does not automaticaly make him a great coaching candidate. Case in point, the Ravens havent as much phoned him let alone interviewed him.

Garrett is another one who isnt experienced. Harbaugh is a HUGE crap shoot in Baltimore.

Josh McDaniel is another hot name who is a mere baby in the scope of coaching.

Sure there are an occasional exception ie Don Shula getting a HC job at 33 but in the grand scheme of things, with experience comes knowledge, wisdom, maturity, time management, personality conflict resolution etc etc etc.

Does this team need to take a HUGE risk or a smaller safer risk in hiring someone who has some time under their belt and can deal with the magnitude of holding one of only 32 positions in the world?

11 seasons in the league 9 as special teams coach and the last 2 as secondary coach. Baltimore seems to think that is enough to run a NFL team. From some of the postings on this board, if Singletary had that amount and kind of experience it still would not be enough, bc as I have seen posted over and over he needs to run a team longer whether it be DC or Oc to be the coach of the Falcons.

Rattler4life (1/18/2008)

Does it really matter who's more qualified or not? What matters is that the person in charge wanted Harbaugh.

I've hired and fired many people and trust me, "more qualified" means very little to either process.

Still holding your breath for Marty, falcons4life? Let's see your short list.

You asked the same thing in another thread and I will answer you in almost the same way I did then.

I undertand that we arent getting Marty, I have moved on. Yet you still take bended knee everyday to get Singletary here, it aint happening.

I think Spags is a strong candidate as are the others the team is looking at. I have no real front runner or someone I really want. Cowher was my #1 Marty my #2. So far the team has been looking at some pretty solid guys with strong credentials, Garrett being the exception on credentials.

falcons4life (1/19/2008)
Logic? So. by the logic you mean because a guy was one of the best ever on the field then that should translate to a great coach?

It sure as **** doesn't mean it won't either.... Don't hate the player hate the game :P

Sorry, it just doesnt work that way.

Yes I agree, Y:blink:U are sorry!

I will give Singletary all the credit in the world for helping adjust his defenses on the fly, just as much as Brady or Manning. But guess what....I dont want Brady or Manning as a coach either!

I fail to see your point.

Since when does what Y:pinch:U want have to do with this?

Singletary fits the PROfile of what we need.

So by this great "logic" that has exposed the naysayers we should hire.

Barry Sanders as head coach, Dan Marino QB's and OC. **** Butkus DC, Ronnie Lott, DB's, EricDickerson RB's, you get the point.

By your lack of logic we should consider hiring any and everybody of whom never, not ever expressed the slightest bit of interest in coaching, much less coaching the Falcons? :pinch:

Wow... you must make your parents :blush: proud :crying:

Those guys only have 5 less years coaching and besides, according to the great logic, experience as a coach doesnt matter.

Seeing how the HC prospects are trending toward the younger end of the spectrum, that kinda thing is to be expected. So what's your point?

EVERY player that ever wore an NFL uniform watched film, made adjustments in game, and studied the game. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Just because he was the best at his position does not automaticaly make him a great coaching candidate. Case in point, the Ravens havent as much phoned him let alone interviewed him.

So...

The Ravens are looking for an offensive minded HC.

They're Defense is coached by Ray Lewis of whom molds himself after Michael Singletary of which is why Ryan is free to roam...

Garrett is another one who isnt experienced. Harbaugh is a HUGE crap shoot in Baltimore. Josh McDaniel is another hot name who is a mere baby in the scope of coaching.

So what, it's a gamble no matter who we get.

Besides with gambling you can't win if you don't play.

At the moment the Falcons are shooting BLANKS!! :P

Sure there are an occasional exception ie Don Shula getting a HC job at 33 but in the grand scheme of things, with experience comes knowledge, wisdom, maturity, time management, personality conflict resolution etc etc etc.

Which further proves the sound logic of my point in favor of hiring Singletary.

Does this team need to take a HUGE risk or a smaller safer risk in hiring someone who has some time under their belt and can deal with the magnitude of holding one of only 32 positions in the world?

Why Not take the risk?? The Greater the risk the greater the rewards.

Besides, all the other stuff the FO has cooked up until now... sucked eggs :sick: :P

Which further proves the sound logic of my point in favor of hiring Singletary.

We are talking GROWN UP, adult logic here, not kindergarten logic. Using ONE exception is sound logic in proving we should hire Singletary? That might work on the playground but not in the NFL.

By your lack of logic we should consider hiring any and everybody of whom never, not ever expressed the slightest bit of interest in coaching, much less coaching the Falcons?

Wow... you must make your parents proud

First off, although my parents are deceased, yes they were very proud of me.

So expressing interest is now a qualification? Someone earlier posted about running for President, that analogy is accurate and fitting.

Im sure the Niners are really happy about him screaming for the chance to leave them as well. Instead of a HC job he might find himself getting a pink slip.

Then please pardon us for having our personal choice. The chances of Mike coming here are indeed look slim, but we still want him and that's not going to change until someone else is hired.

If you take a look back at our back and fourth jousting over many threads, never have I said that your opinion doesnt count nor are you not allowed to have a personal favorite.

I understand you want MS. I even understand the reasons why you want MS. I just dont happen to agree with them.

My two personal choices are no longer (or were never) in contention.

I still like them as my choices, still wish they were coming here but I know they are not or the chances are so slim that its not even worth mentioning.

Cheer MS all you want, I never said you couldnt or you shouldnt but when a thread like this is made, and asks a question that the original post did, I am going to comment.

falcons4life (1/19/2008)We are talking GROWN UP, adult logic here, not kindergarten logic.

Using ONE exception is sound logic in proving we should hire Singletary?

That might work on the playground but not in the NFL.

Apparently sound logic is an acquired taste for you :P

First off, although my parents are deceased, yes they were very proud of me.

I do not doubt one eye-oda!

So expressing interest is now a qualification?

No, but it is a start :)

Someone earlier posted about running for President, that analogy is accurate and fitting.

Oh.. Now George Bush should be interviewed?

Im sure the Niners are really happy about him screaming for the chance to leave them as well. Instead of a HC job he might find himself getting a pink slip.

Giving SF the slip no matter what the color is a good idea for him.

It's called guilt by association.

Someone earlier posted about running for President, that analogy is accurate and fitting.

Oh.. Now George Bush should be interviewed?

What I was speaking of was this post from Robb4242 in another thread.

Would you vote for me to be President of the United States?

I'm not qualified.

I'm not experienced.

But I'm here screaming from the mountain tops for your vote.

I'm a diamond in the rough. All I need is the chance.