People doubting McFadden....Why?

Yes hes a Running Back with Question marks over his head but you know what, So is the rest of the NFL draft. You win some, you lose some, thats just how it goes really.

Glenn Dorsey...I don't know what to say, I honestly don't think he will be picked by us, even if he was there, reason being is that Lewis was doing a great job so far before he got injured and we still have Coleman which stays injured, I think we will wind up Signing a DT in FA instead of drafting one in the first round. Even though I would love to have Dorsey here, I just don't see it happening...Unless its a miracle.

Jake Long...What can I say, I wouldn't mind having this guy at all, But something about him concerns me. I have a feeling that Jake Long could wind up being the next Robert Gallery unless he fits in the right system. He also isn't better then Joe Thomas but better then Levi Brown.

I can honestly say we could wind up with the 4th or 5th pick, I really see Dolphins drafting Chris Long, he fits that 3-4..thats what Bill is going to put there at least.

STL Will probably wind up drafting Jake Long, unless Chris Long falls to them.

OAK may draft McFadden but they do need to replace Sapp so I could really see Dorsey being picked here.

Assuming we are picking 4th

That leaves us McFadden, Even though there is alot of RB talent out there, The falcons could try to trade down but I really don't think we would be able to. People have doubts about McFadden but I think he would do fine here in Atlanta.

KC Would be picking Ryan Clady but if they happen to be picking 4th, they will pass up on McFadden and pick Ryan Clady so McFadden would still fall to us.

I honestly think we can get a better OT in the 2nd round and threw FA...We can get a good QB such as Joe Flacco which I think could be the next Brett Farve.

grendel (1/18/2008)
Here's an interesting writeup from nfldraftguys.com:
Darren McFadden Summary:

Darren McFadden is the most celebrated draft eligible running back this season. He has a highlight reel worth of great plays and was the runner up for the Heisman trophy the last two years. He has great speed and fantastic acceleration. He has decent hands, is a good blocker and he can throw the ball as well as some college QBs. He is the best RB in this class and is likely to be a top 10 pick.

This was his worst game of the season. The Auburn defense held him to 43 yards and no touchdowns. This was a great game to review because although it shows off some of his great skills, it also highlights his negative traits. One thing you notice in watching McFadden on film is that he is very much a straight line runner. A very fast, quick accelerating straight line runner who can also run fast from sideline to sideline, but still, a more straight line runner than desired. He certainly has some wiggle, but he really doesn't have many juke or breakdown moves like most of the elite running backs.

Another thing that you can see in this game is that although he is quite big and well built, he really doesn't run with much power. He is willing to take on defenders and lower his shoulder, but he doesn't run through them very well or keep his balance after a hit.

He also doesn't seem as instinctual or have as good of vision as some of the other elite RBs. You can see all these things in one play, his last carry, the 36th play above. He first doesn't seem to see a hole that opens laterally to the LOS, then as a defender breaks in he doesn't even try a juke to get around the defender with minimal contact but instead lowers his shoulder to take the defender head on, and finally he doesn't move the defender very much and loses his balance as he spins after the contact.

Look, Darren McFadden is an excellent running back and is my top ranked RB in this class. But comparisons in terms of college domination or NFL readiness to Adrian Peterson, LaDanian Tomlinson or Reggie Bush are way off. He is the best back in the class, but not nearly as far above his peers as those 3 backs were in their class. He is also much less "bust proof" than those 3 (although some would say that Bush is a bust himself). I expect him to go #1 in almost all rookie drafts, but if you can get a real superstar for that pick, I would make the trade. He won't find as many straight lines or run away from as many defenders in the NFL.

Between the number of high-quality RB's this year (and there will be 2-3 who would be 1st round graded RBs available in the 2nd), and the revelation that McFadden has had not one but two late night scuffles with police intervention at bars in Little Rock in the last year I've really cooled on McFadden. He's not bad, but he's too risky for a top 5 pick for us.

I'm not sure why you're down on Dorsey or think we have anyone of the same quality at DT. Dorsey would make an immediate impact on our DL and give our DE's many more opportunities. Dorsey is my top draft prospect, and I'd love it if he fell to us.

Because we already have Lewis that we drafted last year, if we really wanted to replace Coleman, it should be babs or draft another in the later rounds.

atlfalcon2184 (1/18/2008)
I don't think anyone here is doubting McFadden. Its probably got more to do with the fact that this is a very deep RB class, like you said. I do think there is a very good possibility that we will trade the pick if McFadden is there.

There may be a very deep RB class but how many do you see as starters? Not to many and mostly all the best RB's will be taken.

He had a very rough day against Auburn, and the writer is correct in that he is a very straight-line runner. But I would definitely take a tall, durable Clinton Portis any day, and what he lacks in creativity as a runner, he does make up for in raw speed and versatility in the passing game. Bush lacks that kind of true speed, AD lacked the versatility in college, and LT was never proven an inside runner at TCU, to say that McFadden is not as much a gurantee as those prospects (especially LT, who was totally unproven as an inside runner and receiver, now two of his best traits, and was not even the top running back in his class until workouts after the Combine) is unfair.

1. RB's are not worth top 5 picks. There are simply more talented athletes playing RB than other positions. That's why teams constantly find guys you never heard of in college.

2. Mcfadden ran behind a great run blocking line at Arkansas. That's why he had all that space to run around in and why every one of the Razorbacks top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc.

3. McFadden is too similar to Norwood. The Falcons need an inside runner that compliments Norwood, not a guy who also does his best work in space.

4. 2 barfights

5. Possible connection with an agent. If it's true, that's a selfish thing to do to your school.

halsey (1/19/2008)
1. RB's are not worth top 5 picks. There are simply more talented athletes playing RB than other positions. That's why teams constantly find guys you never heard of in college.

2. Mcfadden ran behind a great run blocking line at Arkansas. That's why he had all that space to run around in and why every one of the Razorbacks top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc.

3. McFadden is too similar to Norwood. The Falcons need an inside runner that compliments Norwood, not a guy who also does his best work in space.

4. 2 barfights

5. Possible connection with an agent. If it's true, that's a selfish thing to do to your school.

LETS DARFT JAKE LONG, HE FIX RUN GAME GUD.

Im actually cooling off on McFadden a little bit.

I mean the ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl one day. And in order to do that we need to maximize the amount of talent we get in this draft.

And as great as McFadden is, with all these junior backs declaring, perhaps we get better overall draft value if we take a RB in the 2nd round.

Richard Nixon (1/20/2008)
I don't doubt that we could find a solid running back in the second or third round. What I doubt is that we can find someone better than McFadden in the first round. Unless we get a fantastic offer from Dallas, I seriously doubt we actually trade down.

Don't get me wrong, despite the tremendous pressure he will have with all the solid backs in this draft that will be taken behind him, I still think he's the best.

But the point is, will the dropoff from McFadden to 2nd round backs be bigger than the dropoff between other positions?

That's something we'll have to consider

busboyisback (1/21/2008)
Richard Nixon (1/20/2008)
I don't doubt that we could find a solid running back in the second or third round. What I doubt is that we can find someone better than McFadden in the first round. Unless we get a fantastic offer from Dallas, I seriously doubt we actually trade down.

Don't get me wrong, despite the tremendous pressure he will have with all the solid backs in this draft that will be taken behind him, I still think he's the best.

But the point is, will the dropoff from McFadden to 2nd round backs be bigger than the dropoff between other positions?

That's something we'll have to consider

Yes, absolutely, by a mile and a half, the difference between that dropoff and the dropoff of other critical positions for us such as offensive tackle and quarterback is enormous.

Richard Nixon (1/21/2008)

Yes, absolutely, by a mile and a half, the difference between that dropoff and the dropoff of other critical positions for us such as offensive tackle and quarterback is enormous.

Im not so sure that the dropoff between McFadden and Jamaal Charles per say is as big as the dropoff between a Sedrick Ellis and 2nd tier DT

busboyisback (1/21/2008)
Richard Nixon (1/21/2008)

Im not so sure that the dropoff between McFadden and Jamaal Charles per say is as big as the dropoff between a Sedrick Ellis and 2nd tier DT

Jamaal Charles is maybe one of the top 5 tailbacks in this class, and I would take McFadden unless I knew for a fact that Mendenhall was available in the second round, even then I would probably still go with McFadden.

I don't think we should draft a DT..after all we have Trey Lewis and it would be stupid waste a first rounder for a DT.

I really don't see alot of great Running backs in this years draft

QB is not really a need, Vick is going to come back in 2009 like it or not.

Jake Long could be our pick but lately I can't trust him.

Best off is to fix our O-line threw FA/trades

grendel (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
I don't think we should draft a DT..after all we have Trey Lewis and it would be stupid waste a first rounder for a DT.

I really don't see alot of great Running backs in this years draft

QB is not really a need, Vick is going to come back in 2009 like it or not.

Jake Long could be our pick but lately I can't trust him.

Best off is to fix our O-line threw FA/trades

Are you trying to set a record for most wrong statements per post?

Right after you? Sure.

when your drafting you NEVER look into later rounds to determine your current pick. There is no guarantee you will get your guy.

If DMC is the best player in round one you take him. I dont care if it is a deep class. Trying to draft a step (or more) ahead is how you make bad drafts. One round at a time.

I would have DMC 3 or 4 on my draft board if I am ATL right now.

I agree about his temper, but dont assume he would be worse in ATL than LR. It is not the night life ATL is, but from what I have heard it is also more volitile of a town. I dont think it is too hard to find a fight (or shooting) in Little Rock if ya know what I mean.

grendel (1/22/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)

Right after you? Sure.

Ha! Whatever...

I'm not the one who said we need to pass up the best 2 DT prospects in years because we have a 6th round pick who played well, but who is now out with a torn up knee. Great logic.

I also wasn't the one who said "I really don't see alot of great Running backs in this years draft" when there's like 5 or 6 guys who would be 1st round picks most years, including one guy who has a 99 draft rating.

How about saying we don't need a QB because Vick will be back in 2009? That's so laughable and just wrong that it's hard to know where to even start... How about: Vick will never play for the Falcons again, if he even gets back into the league, which is very questionable.

That's all the ignorance I can stomach right now... keep up the good work! Maybe next time say that we can have Vick mentor Tebow when we draft him with the 1st overall pick.... hahaaha!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Ha your really funny...Only you would think we need to waste a pick on something so useless, but I forgot your some kind of expert hating other people opinions. I will say this here and now, WE ARE NOT DRAFTING A DT IN THE FIRST ROUND.

grendel (1/22/2008)
1989fan (1/22/2008)
when your drafting you NEVER look into later rounds to determine your current pick. There is no guarantee you will get your guy.

If DMC is the best player in round one you take him. I dont care if it is a deep class. Trying to draft a step (or more) ahead is how you make bad drafts. One round at a time.

I think I'd have him off my board right now, unless we trade down to 10-15... We simply cannot afford to risk this pick on a guy who can't control his temper and gets into trouble in Little Rock (that's no Atlanta) before he's even got his fame and fortune attracting trouble.

Wow one little fight and now hes some kind of thug? Boy he would sure fit in here now would he?

grendel (1/23/2008)
Twinblade (1/22/2008)
grendel (1/22/2008)
1989fan (1/22/2008)

I think I'd have him off my board right now, unless we trade down to 10-15... We simply cannot afford to risk this pick on a guy who can't control his temper and gets into trouble in Little Rock (that's no Atlanta) before he's even got his fame and fortune attracting trouble.

Wow one little fight and now hes some kind of thug? Boy he would sure fit in here now would he?

For the record, that's 2 bar fights in the last year where the cops had to be called.

In my whole life I've been in zero bar fights where the cops had to be called.

Who cares? Do you know what really happen and why he got into those fights? I didn't think so because you wasn't there at all.