Dimitroff's "draft for need" philosophy...

maxatlanta

This is not a sky is falling post. That has pretty much already occurred. This is also not a post that supports ignoring needs.

When you are the Patriots, you can afford to draft according to your one big need, or take a chance on a talented player with off field issues. When you are everyone else, you can not. Drafting for need is by definition taking a player at a position of need instead of taking a better player at a position of strength/depth.

As most of you are aware, relatively few rookies can be counted on to fix a weakness from day 1. The draft should be for team building first. If you have players of equal talent and one of them fills a need then fine, but a good gm would have an opinion on who is the most talented between the 2 athletes.

Good teams draft for BPA and fill needs in free agency. Teams that think they are one player away, or without major needs, have a luxury that we do not.

There are premium positions like QB & OT. Players at these premium positions often require using higher draft picks than more talented players at other positions (S, C, G). That is OK and must be factored in. But that is very much different than drafting for need. Since every team places a premium on those positions, no one is at a disadvantage. Since every team has their own set of needs, the teams who forgo the BPA to fill a need are at a disadvantage.

I am actually very suprised that McKay would support the hiring of a GM with this draft for need philosophy. It is the opposite of what he has said since day one as our GM. How the press has not asked him about this is crazy.

(Full discosure: I like McKay, I like Blank, I'm taking a wait and see attitude with Demitroff)

maxatlanta (1/18/2008)
This is not a sky is falling post. That has pretty much already occurred. This is also not a post that supports ignoring needs.

When you are the Patriots, you can afford to draft according to your one big need, or take a chance on a talented player with off field issues. When you are everyone else, you can not. Drafting for need is by definition taking a player at a position of need instead of taking a better player at a position of strength/depth.

As most of you are aware, relatively few rookies can be counted on to fix a weakness from day 1. The draft should be for team building first. If you have players of equal talent and one of them fills a need then fine, but a good gm would have an opinion on who is the most talented between the 2 athletes.

Good teams draft for BPA and fill needs in free agency. Teams that think they are one player away, or without major needs, have a luxury that we do not.

There are premium positions like QB & OT. Players at these premium positions often require using higher draft picks than more talented players at other positions (S, C, G). That is OK and must be factored in. But that is very much different than drafting for need. Since every team places a premium on those positions, no one is at a disadvantage. Since every team has their own set of needs, the teams who forgo the BPA to fill a need are at a disadvantage.

I am actually very suprised that McKay would support the hiring of a GM with this draft for need philosophy. It is the opposite of what he has said since day one as our GM. How the press has not asked him about this is crazy.

(Full discosure: I like McKay, I like Blank, I'm taking a wait and see attitude with Demitroff)

I believe that it is perfectly fine to draft for need, as long as you don't reach too far when making the draft pick...

We need a QB the most. We need an OT the second most.

We have vet starters at DT and RB. We could certainly stand to improve those positions, and get younger there, but taking either at 3 would not fit the draft for need philosophy. Also, the draft is more than the first round.

The Cush (1/18/2008)
I think he will draft BPA at a position of need. I don't think the team will make major reaches. This also includes manipulating the draft (by trades) so that the highest rated player on your board is a position of need.

We'll have to wait and see just what he means exactly...

I agree that he will draft the BPA at a position of need...

Hokies&Falcons (1/18/2008)
The Cush (1/18/2008)
I think he will draft BPA at a position of need. I don't think the team will make major reaches. This also includes manipulating the draft (by trades) so that the highest rated player on your board is a position of need.

We'll have to wait and see just what he means exactly...

I agree that he will draft the BPA at a position of need...

I agree as well. However......I don't believe he will "reach".

My guess is:

- Dmac

- Dorsey

- Ellis

No No No , you can do both , Most rounds there will be 2 or 3 players of different positions At the pick , It's no big deal , And as I have read many times , all the Teams draft for need. You can bet on that , It would be crazy not to . And when all teams have at least 4 positonal needs that makes this a very easy thing to deal with . Now as for myself , I would put most of our highest picks on the trenches , That is our biggest weakness and we will never get better untill we fix that ,, My philosophy this year is BC of the great talent at DT is only in the top of the first and weekens fast , then I think we should go with one of the big two DTs with our top 5 , I like Ellis best and he will most likly be there at our pick , But I am very affraid that by Draft day he will go up into the top 3 and we will not be able to get him . Laugh if you want to , but just wait , this guys stock will go up and he is ranked around 6 to 9 , but it wouldn't shock me if he went in the top 2 or 3, If he dose , I sure hope we have the 3.

Then with a lot of very good OTs this year that will string out into the bottom of the 4th we can take care of those needs there very well . This RB class is the deepest I've ever seen since I've been following the Draft in a Nutty way, Around 11 years . And we can get a very good RB within our 5 picks in the 2nd , 3rd , and 4th rounds . I love Jonathan Stewart , but he may not last untill our #34 pick , The good news is that he might BC of the depth at the postion , that always makes them drop. If Stewart is gone I really like Smith for the pick and I also think Thomas Brown will be a steal if we can get him in the 5th threw the 7th rounds , But wright this down , He will rise in this draft untill the draft mark it down . He is now ranked to go in the 7th but I say he will go no latter than a 5th .

A lot of really good ILBer in the middle of the draft , I like where a lot of great ones will be with our 2nd 4th rounder .

As for a QB , I hope we wait and take one in the 2nd or 3rd round . Or even do like Cleve last year who took a great Linmen and then traded back up to get Brady Quinn at around 20. I do think that Matt Ryan is the best of this class but I don't think he is that much better than Flacco for the pick . JMO

at the risk of sounding sarcastic, i doubt that dimitroff is such a uni-dimensional man that he can only approach an nfl draft with one overarcing philosophy; in other words, i'm sure that he understands that drafting for the falcons is different than drafting for the patriots. I am optomistic that he will do well.

3rd and short (1/18/2008)
Thomas will be in uncharted waters come draft time.

How long has it been since the Patriots finished low enough to have a top 5 pick? :D

Well all year long he has known that the Patriots were getting the 49ers pick in this years draft (at least a top 8 pick). Deep into the season before SF won 2-3 games at the end they were projected to have the no.2 pick, so I am sure that the Patriots were scouting the top talent very heavily in anticipation of that high draft pick.

maxatlanta (1/18/2008)

It struck me a little funny when I heard the need deal.I dont think it should be taken to literal.Odviously if there was a better talent he would take them but later you would address needs.Who knows?It could be gm media speak.A smoke screen?

maxatlanta (1/18/2008)
Matt Ryan is the BPA at our biggest position of need.

But really, my point is that need has its place, and over emphasizing it is how you wind up with less talent on your team- especially over the long haul.

Thats the biggest crock of crap i have ever read :). Matt Ryan isn't even the best player at the QB position much less the best player at our biggest need which is a LT.