Patrick Johnson's ACT Test scores flagged..

SacFalcFan

The top-rated recruit for the LSU Tigers' Class of 2008 was not in class this week because the NCAA clearinghouse flagged his ACT score.

Ely High School product Patrick Johnson is the nation's top cornerback and the fifth-best overall player in the country according to Rivals.com.

"It is true, I am not at LSU at this moment," Johnson said. "My test score was flagged and I am not in class yet in Baton Rouge. The NCAA compliance office is now looking into everything.

"I'm not really angry or anything about it. It is just something that has happened and if I have to take it (the ACT) over again then that is something that I am just going to have to do."

Johnson said he has been in touch with the Tigers' coaching staff, informing them of the situation.

"I told them that I will see them next week and this situation will be fixed," Johnson said.

When asked if he meant he'll be in school next week, Johnson was quick to agree.

"Yes sir," Johnson said. "My classes will still be there for me."

Note: According to the LSU website, the last date for registering and adding classes for the Spring semester is Thursday January 24, 2008.

*** It was reported he went from a 13 to a 26 in one test.***

scott24falcs (1/18/2008)
ki45toryu (1/18/2008)
Maybe he took a prep course and studied.

Yeah, but going from a 13, to a 26? That's crazy. You're either smart, or you're not. I can see someone maybe getting 5-6 points better after studying, or taking a prep course, but 13? No way IMO.

I am not too familiar with the ACT....the exams for professional programs though all require a ridiculous amount of studying just to attain a decent grade. If you dont study, you usually end up with a garbage score.

ACT not like this?

ki45toryu (1/18/2008)
scott24falcs (1/18/2008)
ki45toryu (1/18/2008)

Yeah, but going from a 13, to a 26? That's crazy. You're either smart, or you're not. I can see someone maybe getting 5-6 points better after studying, or taking a prep course, but 13? No way IMO.

I am not too familiar with the ACT....the exams for professional programs though all require a ridiculous amount of studying just to attain a decent grade. If you dont study, you usually end up with a garbage score.

ACT not like this?

IMO, the ACT is much easier than the SAT. The ACT is broken down into a few different parts, much like the SAT. The math section of the ACT is very easy IMO. It's primarily basic stuff that you learn throughout high school. The main difference between the two tests, is the English/Language Arts portion (or whatever you want to call it). The SAT has huge sections on vocabulary analogies, most of which are very difficult, whereas the ACT is basically reading comprehension skills, and making inferences. The new essay portion of the test is easier with the ACT as well.

I didn't study for the ACT, and I got a 26, which is pretty good. I believe the nation-wide average for the test is something like a 19 or 20. I do believe that studying could improve one's score, but to go from a 13 to a 26, seems unreal to me. Things like reading comprehension, and making inferences, are things that you really either know, or you struggle with. Something doesn't seem right with this situation.

Reminds me of a situation Georgia had a couple of years ago when Jamar Chaney was flagged by the testing board for suspicion of cheating after his test scores rose dramatically. Georgia decided to cut ties with Chaney and he enrolled at Mississippi State, where he's now a starting OLB. But Chaney was a 3 star (as opposed the Johnson who's the best at his position). It'll be interesting to see what LSU's next move will be.

scott24falcs (1/18/2008)
ki45toryu (1/18/2008)
scott24falcs (1/18/2008)
ki45toryu (1/18/2008)

yeah, but going from a 13, to a 26? That's crazy. You're either smart, or you're not. I can see someone maybe getting 5-6 points better after studying, or taking a prep course, but 13? No way IMO.

IMO, the ACT is much easier than the SAT. The ACT is broken down into a few different parts, much like the SAT. The math section of the ACT is very easy IMO. It's primarily basic stuff that you learn throughout high school. The main difference between the two tests, is the English/Language Arts portion (or whatever you want to call it). The SAT has huge sections on vocabulary analogies, most of which are very difficult, whereas the ACT is basically reading comprehension skills, and making inferences. The new essay portion of the test is easier with the ACT as well.

I didn't study for the ACT, and I got a 26, which is pretty good. I believe the nation-wide average for the test is something like a 19 or 20. I do believe that studying could improve one's score, but to go from a 13 to a 26, seems unreal to me. Things like reading comprehension, and making inferences, are things that you really either know, or you struggle with. Something doesn't seem right with this situation.

Oh ok, its over basic stuff you learn while going through school, like reading comp, etc. Yeah if you dont know it going into the exam, chances are you arent going to learn it in a month.