Don't Shoot the Messenger!

mater

I don't intend to start a debate about the trustworthiness of PFT . . . but anyway, here's the article.

MYSTERY CANDIDATE IN ATLANTA?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2008, 3:00 p.m.

There s a rumor making the rounds in league circles regarding possible existence of a mystery candidate for the head coaching job in Atlanta. At this point, the possible existence of a mystery candidate for the vacant head coaching job of the Falcons is only a rumor, and the rumor has not been confirmed or corroborate.

Typically, mystery candidates for vacant NFL head coaching positions are college head coaches. Several years ago, for example, Oregon State head coach Dennis Erickson appeared out of nowhere to become the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

College head coaches prefer to pursue NFL vacancies secretly in order to avoid the potential disruption to their ongoing recruiting efforts, which culminate in the signing of letters of intent in early February of each year. Sometimes, a college head coach waits until after the letters of intent are signed before bolting for an NFL program. Even if the head coach leaves prior to the finalization of the recruiting process, the college head coach usually does so quickly and without warning.

Because the Falcons have interviewed Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, the Falcons have fully complied with the Rooney Rule. Therefore, any candidate can be hired, with or without an interview that is disclosed to the public.

For several years, there has been speculation in league circles that patriots VP of player personnel Scott Pioli would attempt to hire Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz if/when Pioli becomes the General Manager of another NFL team. Given that former Patriots director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff is now the General Manager of the Falcons, it could be that Dimitroff feels the same way about Ferentz, and that Ferentz has decided not to wait for Pioli to become a General Manager of his own team, if the speculation regarding the link to Pioli is accurate.

The Falcons reportedly offered the job to Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garret, and have twice interviewed former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. Dimitroff acknowledged on Thursday that the team might not make a hire until after the Super Bowl.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

mater (1/18/2008)
I don't intend to start a debate about the trustworthiness of PFT . . . but anyway, here's the article.

MYSTERY CANDIDATE IN ATLANTA?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2008, 3:00 p.m.

There s a rumor making the rounds in league circles regarding possible existence of a mystery candidate for the head coaching job in Atlanta. At this point, the possible existence of a mystery candidate for the vacant head coaching job of the Falcons is only a rumor, and the rumor has not been confirmed or corroborate.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

then why report on it?????

this is EXACTLY why they are the star magazine of the nfl................only less entertaining.

There is some merit to this. The first time I read this I was absolutely outraged. However, Kirk Ferentz coached with Bill Belichick in Cleveland. One common denominator thats happened, and if you read "The Management Secrets of the New England Patriots." you'll understand. In Cleveland all the coaches began analyzing stats and different ways to win. They took an economic approach, MoneyBall if you will, and applied it to football. These guys were way ahead of their time, and I'd be happy to get any one of them.

I hope not another college football coach....If we don't hire an NFL experienced coach soon, Im afraid our illustrious CMO (Chief Meddling Owner) will continue down the path of not being able to attract ANYONE that has the stones to run a team full of professionals...i.e., a college coach.

Ferentz would be.... interesting, to say the least, and certainly an el shockaroo to me. Of course, we can go back to the Mora Jr hiring and about half this MB was hugging all over Ferentz. Now not a soul wants to give him any support.

Well, if we went that direction, I'd give him mine. I don't care if we're coached by the Bill Murray (yeah, from Stripes) if we put wins on the board and get a streak of back to back winning seasons going. Of course, if that happened in the next couple of years, all our assistant coaches would then be going on to promotions on other teams. And then we could say, "OOOOH NOOOOO!!! WE SUCK AGAIN!!!!" :D:w00t:

I wouldn't consider Spags a mystery coach. Billick might be considered one since his name hasn't been mentioned at all in connection with our coaching search. Let us all remember how closed mouth the NE organization is about EVERYTHING! I'm sure our new GM TD has had to have picked up that trait, and I sure hope he brought it with him. It's at least been extremely - unnervingly - quiet since he arrived on the scene. Heck, we may not know who the coach is until they take his hood off on the sidelines and "unveil" him in week 1 of the 2008 campaign. :)

celtik

I hope not another college football coach....If we don't hire an NFL experienced coach soon, Im afraid our illustrious CMO (Chief Meddling Owner) will continue down the path of not being able to attract ANYONE that has the stones to run a team full of professionals...i.e., a college coach.

College HC or a offensive/defensive cooridinator, whats the difference. Statistics are no more in favor of a nfl coordinator succeeding over college hc.

Rushing to hire a HC before we're absolutely positive we found what we want is only going to put us next season in the same situation we're in now. Not to mention, who out there is such a stand out candidate that we have to swoop up before some other team gets them? We should just interview every cooridinator in the league at this point because not one of the so called HC candidates out there stand out.