It could work in our favour if Spags goes to the SB

he hate me

Let's be real here, the Ravens and Redskins HC job is more attractive than the Falcons HC job. Nobody can disagree.

The Falcons HC job was Jason Garrett's if he wanted it. He didn't want it. It was between the Cowboys and Ravens.

I read posts saying I hope the Giants lose, so we can hire Spags before the SB. I understand the reason why you want the quick hire. I want Spags to get the best assistants too, but I would feel much better about the Falcons chances of landing Spags if it is the only HC opening in the NFL by the process of elimination.

paul_k (1/18/2008)
Interesting point. However, even if the Giants go to the Superbowl, there's no guarantee that the Redksins and Ravens will have filled their HC vacancies by the time the Superbowl has ended.

true, but we need all the help we can get. There is a chance it could help us.

Even if you scenario played out (Ravens and Skins lock up their guys and Giants make the SB) there is still no guarantee he'd take the job just because it was the only one left. He could just as easily decide to stay on a SB calibur team for one more year rather than deal with the huge mess here and wait for a better option to open up after next season. Then, we become even more desperate and with even fewer options.

he hate me (1/18/2008)
Let's be real here, the Ravens and Redskins HC job is more attractive than the Falcons HC job. Nobody can disagree.

The Falcons HC job was Jason Garrett's if he wanted it. He didn't want it. It was between the Cowboys and Ravens.

I read posts saying I hope the Giants lose, so we can hire Spags before the SB. I understand the reason why you want the quick hire. I want Spags to get the best assistants too, but I would feel much better about the Falcons chances of landing Spags if it is the only HC opening in the NFL by the process of elimination.

he hate me,

your plagiarizing me! I made same point in my message that you read......I'm afraid I am going to have to BAN you:D

1989fan (1/18/2008)
you also have to factor in this.

What if the Falcons wait and pass on other good candidtaes waiting for Spanuolo, and then he (like others) says he is not interested?

then we just screwed the pooch big time.

Right --- and what happens if the Giants lose this weekend and Tom C. still won't grant permission to interview Spags? --- I've ask this question before and seems no one knows?

The way I read Steve Wyche's article --- this could happen.

What if the Falcons wait and pass on other good candidtaes waiting for Spanuolo, and then he (like others) says he is not interested?

and even worse, what if Ryan gets antsy and takes a DC position with one of the afore mentioned teams instead of waiting for the Giants to lose. Then we could only get him as HC.

celtik

1989fan (1/18/2008)
you also have to factor in this.

We are on the same wave length. I have done some research, Harbaugh is in Baltimore as we speak having a second interview. Check out the baltimoresun.com to stay tuned. I hope he gets the job.

celtiksage (1/18/2008)

and even worse, what if Ryan gets antsy and takes a DC position with one of the afore mentioned teams instead of waiting for the Giants to lose. Then we could only get him as HC.

celtik

If we really wanted him we would have locked him up by now. No news is bad news for Ryan fans.

g-dawg (1/18/2008)
he hate me (1/18/2008)

he hate me,

your plagiarizing me! I made same point in my message that you read......I'm afraid I am going to have to BAN you:D

yes, i'm real confused because it always sounds like this point is never addressed. My thought is this: if you are offering somebody a "promotion", i think it is very hard to refuse granting the interview - why? because who in their right mind would want to go work for Tom Coughlin in the future if he denies his assistants the chance to better themselves and get a head coaching job. The reason they denied the first time was because of the pending playoffs........when(if) Giants Lose, that will no longer be an excuse. If Coughlin denies, it will get a lot of play in the press and it will be bad for Coughlin/Giants....

k-train (1/18/2008)
Even if you scenario played out (Ravens and Skins lock up their guys and Giants make the SB) there is still no guarantee he'd take the job just because it was the only one left. He could just as easily decide to stay on a SB calibur team for one more year rather than deal with the huge mess here and wait for a better option to open up after next season. Then, we become even more desperate and with even fewer options.

My worst nightmare. You should write a song about that. :P

I think we need to keep in mind there is still a possibility of other HC jobs opening up. By now, I would think that if someone was going to be fired they would already be out of a job, but we need to also keep in mind the possibility of someone retiring. If more jobs open up, it will obviously hurt our chances of getting who we want.

3rd and short (1/18/2008)

Right --- and what happens if the Giants lose this weekend and Tom C. still won't grant permission to interview Spags? --- I've ask this question before and seems no one knows?

We dont need permission after the season ends. We just needed permission because NY season was not over, and they werent awarded a bye week. If NYG had a bye week we could have interviewed Spags when we interviewed Garrett.

1989fan (1/18/2008)
3rd and short (1/18/2008)

We dont need permission after the season ends. We just needed permission because NY season was not over, and they werent awarded a bye week. If NYG had a bye week we could have interviewed Spags when we interviewed Garrett.

Well -- the way I read Steve Wyche's article we would still need permission? -- Might not be a problem, but with our luck? --- Who knows.

"Assistant Coaches on teams that lose their conference championship games or whose seasons are finished are free to interview for a head-coaching job if their contract expires - or - if their current employers grant permission."

Would that not mean permission is still required?