Plan B: Steve Spagnuolo

he hate me

It may be a blessing in disguise that Plan A: Jason Garrett rejected the Falcons.

IMHO the defense is the Falcons strongest unit and will help us win games before the offense does. This unit suits the 43 defense better than the 34 defense. The offense needs rebuilding, do you really want to rebuild the defense to suit the 34 too? That's a major rebuilding project. Just ask Jets fans, their defense is better suited for the 43 with studs Dwayne Robertson and Johnathan Vilma on defense, but they are playing like duds because they are playing in Mangini's 34.

The current unit is under sized and fast on the front seven, a 34 defense should be big and strong. Spags fits our current unit.

Not to mention Spags outcoached Garrett in the big game.

he hate me (1/18/2008)
It may be a blessing in disguise that Plan A: Jason Garrett rejected the Falcons.

IMHO the defense is the Falcons strongest unit and will help us win games before the offense does. This unit suits the 43 defense better than the 34 defense. The offense needs rebuilding, do you really want to rebuild the defense to suit the 34 too? That's a major rebuilding project. Just ask Jets fans, their defense is better suited for the 43 with studs Dwayne Robertson and Johnathan Vilma on defense, but they are playing like duds because they are playing in Mangini's 34.

The current unit is under sized and fast on the front seven, a 34 defense should be big and strong. Spags fits our current unit.

Not to mention Spags outcoached Garrett in the big game.

good post.....

"Plan B" should have been "Plan A" all along. Spags is the best candidate for the job anyway and better than Jason Garrett. Spags has the pedigree and the many years of coaching experience that Jason Garrett does not. Obviously, Spags does not have Jason's name recognition or cache' but who cares about that crap! this is football.....

Spags is a Jim Johnson disciple from all of those great Eagles teams and plays an aggressive defense. He's got some talented defensive ends with the Giants but little else - and he has that defense playing great in his first year in NY and first year as DC.

I understand that everyone is high on this guy. When did anyone out of the Atlanta Falcons camp under the Dimitroff regime ever ask to interview Spags? The answer is nobody. They asked to interview him before Dimitroff was hired. Since then, nobody even knows if he's a likely candidate. Stop the speculation.

AkCraigg (1/18/2008)
I understand that everyone is high on this guy. When did anyone out of the Atlanta Falcons camp under the Dimitroff regime ever ask to interview Spags? The answer is nobody. They asked to interview him before Dimitroff was hired. Since then, nobody even knows if he's a likely candidate. Stop the speculation.

AkCraigg,

while it is speculation - its not wild speculation. We already know that the Falcons wanted to interview Spages "pre-Dimitroff". We also know that Dimitroff opened back up the coaching search. We also know that there are no known interviews scheduled at this time.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........could it be because we are not allowed to schedule an interview with a coach that is still in playoffs? Could be :)

I hope the Falcons add to their interview list Spagnuolo and Russ Grimm. I would also like to see Dimitroff do his 1st(Falcons 2nd) interview with Jim Schwartz and Mike Smith. I would be happy with any of those candidates or Rex Ryan but prefer the others over Ryan.

AkCraigg (1/18/2008)

Thomas gave the Falcons a list of names before he was hired.

I would love to get Spags in here. A HC wont always be the playcaller. He needs to manage his staff, the game, make adjustments, and motivate.

Spags is 2nd to none in motivating and adjusting. This guy turns players into animals. He is something else.

I would also love to see TD bring Williams from WAS in for an interview. He is said to be so respected by his players, that there was whispers of some serious locker room turmoil if he is not promoted to HC.