RB's. Loads of talent.

First let me preface this post with the fact that I am not a scout. I don't pretend to be. I have played football all my life and I watched more then I can remember. I am just writing down what I see. This took awhile so comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have been watching as much video as I can get my hands on for most of these RB's entering the draft. I will give my opinion on what I see, would like yours as well.

I went by the order that nfldraftscout.com had the RB's.

Darren McFadden Arkansas: Definitely explosive, but not this year's Adrian Peterson. No way. McFadden is like having a big play WR in the backfield, he can hit homerun at anytime. That's great, but I don't think he is an everydown back in the NFL. He seems to avoid contact at all costs. He will bust one through the middle on a big play, but he is usually untouched. He is also to quick to bouce it outside, which you can get away with in college, but the NFL is a different ball game. To me he is Reggie Bush/Jerious Norwood type of player. I do not want him drafted by the Falcons with the top 5 pick.

Jonathan Stewart Oregon: Unlike McFadden, Stewart doesn't shy away from contact. He seems like he could be a pile mover in the NFL. He has a very low pad level @ the line of scrimmage and likes to get in there. He will bouce it outside and looks like he has adequate speed. I don't think he is going to run off and leave NFL safeties but not many every down backs can. I see him as a big time player in the NFL barring injuries.

Felix Jones Arkansas: For me, watching Arkansas, it's hard to tell Jones and McFadden apart. They were used in pretty much the same way and they run alot alike. The only difference I see is size. Felix is a little bit smaller. He does though seem to be a little better at breaking tackles but not as good at getting to the edge, eventhough I have seen some sites saying he is faster. I don't know about that...maybe he is. Loads of talent, I see more potential for him being an everydown back then Darren McFadden. However, he isn't as explosive.

Rashard Mendenhal Illinois: I see a lot of Brian Westbrook in Mendenhal. He sets up his blockers very well. He seems to be very patient. Gets low when he runs and explodes through tackles. He isn't scared of contact. This guy has every down/load carrying running back written all over him. I think he is a guy who you could make a cornerstone in your offense.

Chris Johnson ECU: Good balance. He is somewhat hard to judge because of the level of competition he was playing against. Not an easy guy to bring down, ask Boise State. Can get through tackles and also get to the corner. He bounces off tackles pretty effectively. Again, it is hard for to have too much to say because I didn't see video of him playing a really good program.

Steve Slaton WVU: Lethal in the open field. Change of direction skills are amazing. It's hard to get a really good read on him because he was in the gimmicky offense. They didn't line up too much in the I and run right at people. That doesn't mean that he can't though. I actually like him for a team that is going to open up the offense a little. A team like Indy or the Patriots would do good with a kid like this. He is hard to bring down in the open field as well. I would like to see him over 200 lbs. Lots of potential in the right system in the NFL.

Jamaal Charles Texas: Closer to AP then anyone else I have seen. VIOLENT. Looks to lay the wood. Put AJ Hawk on his back after AJ intercepted VY one year. This kid "aint skeerd". Good size and speed. While he has few problems getting to the edge, when you watch him run it's like he can't wait to turn it up field and hit someone. Played tough schools and was very effective. I think he can be a stud if he has enough drive...it sure looks like he does when he is on the field.

Ray Rice Rutgers: Love watching him run. I don't have a lot of negatives to say about him. He is shifty and powerful. He uses his height as an advantage by keeping his pads low and exploding into tackles. From everything I have heard he has a great passion for the game as well. I only like a few backs in the draft better then Rice. The one negative is that on some of the video I watch, he gets caught from behind. I don't see him as homerun hitter anyway. Easily worth one of our second round picks.

Kevin Smith UCF: Is it me or does he seem a little thin through the hips. On paper he as good size, but he looks like he has about a 28 inch waist. I am not sure he is the most balance runner either. He got tripped up alot. I watched all 41 carries against UAB and I don't see him setting up blockers. Granted he had like 300 yards that game, and I think he just knew he was faster then everyone else so he didn't need his blockers. I don't know, but I am not terribly impressed.

Based on what I see here is my value board. I know I am probably the only person in the known world who doesn't have Darren McFadden as the best RB, much less out of the top 3.

1. Rashard Mendenhall Illinois

2. Jonathan Stewart Oregon

3. Jamaal Charles Texas

4. Darren McFadden Arkansas

5. Ray Rice Rutgers

6. Felix Jones Arkansas

7. Chris Johson ECU

8. Steve Slaton WVU

9. Kevin Smith UCF

Thanks for reading.

It's no secret that my favorites out of those RBs for the picks are

1.Jonathan Stewart

2.Kevin Smith

And yes I think McFadden is a special talent ,but when picking that high , you don't want any baggage whatsoever. If he didn't have any , then I'd be all for him to. Plus we need DTs and OLs really bad , and I want to use that frist pick on what will be one of the best DTs in the League barring injury.

This guy in my sig is the closest thing to Tommie Harris I've seen.

Draftnut57 (1/17/2008)
It's no secret that my favorites out of those RBs for the picks are

1.Jonathan Stewart

2. Kevin Smith

And yes I think McFadden is a special talent ,but when picking that high , you don't want any baggage whatsoever. If he didn't have any , then I'd be all for him to. Plus we need DTs and OLs really bad , and I want to use that frist pick on what will be one of the best DTs in the League barring injury.

This guy in my sig is the closest thing to Tommie Harris I've seen.

I think McFadden could be special as well, but I don't think he is anything more then Reggie Bush, who in my opinion, is the most overrated player in the NFL. To me, McFadden is all or nothing. I just look at him and I don't see an everydown RB in the NFL.

Kevin Smith just doesn't do it for me. Numbers are amazing, no doubt, but I don't see a super smart guy when the ball is in his hands. I saw at least 2 plays that I can remember where he was on the edge with a blocker out in front. He ran right by the blocker and got tripped up with one hand. Granted, I haven't see every carry the guy has had and I wasn't on the field to see what he saw. I don't know, I'm not sold though.

I will have to do a little more research on Ellis. I know that he is supposed to be super duper strong.

BigSlick (1/17/2008)
Norwood32 (1/17/2008)
James Davis?

I had to stop at some point. I do plan on watching some video of him...I do have to keep my job though.

:D

I was just wondering because he looked like a good combination of size and speed and he is projected to go in the 3rd round. He wouldn't be a bad pick IMO.

steakandpotatoes (1/17/2008)
I agree with you completely about Mcfadden he is a great talent but he always seem to avoid contact whenever possible, which is why i find it funny when people try to compare him with adrian peterson becuase ap initiates contact which is way more effective in the nfl than avoiding it.

Ah, I don't get it , I thought that was what a RB is supposed to do, avoid contact and get more yards , Plus his career and carries will be a lot longer . Avoiding contact is seen as a great asset. That is what make Barry Sanders so great! He could avoid contact better than any RB in History.