Wanted: Anyone who will coach the Atlanta Falcons

audit2

by Geoff Oliphant (Contributor) 0 comments

Filed Under: NFL, NFC South, Atlanta Falcons, Bobby Petrino

A year ago it looked like the Atlanta Falcons were finally about to put the pieces together and become a championship team. Newly hired Head coach and offensive guru Bobby Petrino was going to turn Mike Vick into an actual quarterback. As we all know, things didn't quite work out to plan. Vick is in jail, and Petrino abandoned the horendous Falcons after just 13 games as Head Coach. After a forgettable season the Falcons are left looking in the mirror and realizing they have no offense, no defense, and most importantly... no coach. The real question is not who will be the next head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, but why would anyone take the job.

It seems to me that the Falcons head coaching job seems more like coaching suicide then a good opportunity. their most recent coaches, Jim Mora jr. and Bobby Petrino can attest to this. Mora lasted for awhile in Atlanta but was prematurely fired because he couldn't win a meaningful game in the second half of the season. Petrino, as was mentioned before, was gone after 13 games. Mora was given some talent on his teams during his tenure in Atlanta, most importantly he had Mike Vick. Petrino had nothing, so, wisely he jumped on a bus and fled town. Next years Falcons don't seem to have anymore talent then they had this year. So, to sum it up, my advice to Jason Garret or any other candidates, do what Pete Carrol did and stay where you are at. Even an assistent coaching job is better than committing coaching suicide in Atlanta.

The Falcons are heading nowhere and fast. The poor man that takes over that position will be either kicked out or flea town within two years. Maybe the Falcons should just concede all their games until Vick gets out of Jail and then try to rebuild from there. As ridiculous as it sounds it may be their best option.

Whatever.

I don't want a punk ##### coach that wants to walk into an great situation. I want one that has the balls to take over a job like this. I want a guy who likes a challenge, not one who wants talent handed to him on a silver platter.

coaching suicide my #####...if you don't get the job done it's your fault.

You can either see this job as 'coaching suicide' or IMO you can see it as a chance to build something from nothing and build a great reputation for yourself, if you are man enough.

I don't want a punk ##### coach that wants to walk into an great situation. I want one that has the balls to take over a job like this. I want a guy who likes a challenge, not one who wants talent handed to him on a silver platter.

coaching suicide my #####...if you don't get the job done it's your fault.

You can either see this job as 'coaching suicide' or IMO you can see it as a chance to build something from nothing and build a great reputation for yourself, if you are man enough.

I love this comment and its dead on. Ive always said that taking this coaching job is a no-lose situation. If you turn the team around, you are a hero. If you suck, then all the pundits will just say "well it WAS the falcons"

Maybe the Falcons should just concede all their games until Vick gets out of Jail and then try to rebuild from there.

Jesus Christ!!!! Does Vick support people finacially or related to 1/2 the **** board?!

F**K VICK!!!! - He's in prison because of HIS actions and if he caused this team to collapse because of HIS actions then F**K HIM!!!! What in the **** has he done for everyone to want to ride his jock all the time. HE IS GONE!!!!!

And if you want to wait until he MIGHT come back to build a winning team then go somewhere else - I am a FALCON fan and last I saw VICK did nothing for the Falcons!!!!!

This is ridiculous. First, is Geoff calling the ATL flea town because of the Dawg fans here? Or, did he mean flee town. If you are going to take a ##### on a franchise, correct your spelling and grammar.

Second, the Atlanta job is not that bad and people are really playing this up to make it extremely ugly. We are the Raiders of the east coast now -- thanks to Vick, McKay, and Petrino. I don't 100% blame McKay, he just was not as good as he thought he was with talent evaluation. Both Vick and Petrino have incredibly poor integrity and character.

Here's my list of why I think the Falcs Job is a good one:

1) Facilities -- you get anything you need and want. Flowery Branch is already considered one of the top NFL facilities and I imagine if a coach came in here and wanted a second indoor training facility, etc -- they'd get it.

2) Structure -- although we've been criticized about or org structure with all the McKay who-ha, we have made some good steps in creating an organization structure that will work. And, I believe TD is having an impact -- because we know how Blank likes the shiny white cadillac, so he would still be fighting for Garrett right now if it wasn't for TD telling him that he's not our man.

3) Draft -- Overall, we had a decent draft last year -- almost every rookie player with the exception of Doug Datish (put on IR at beginning of season) played in a game. We have 10 draft picks this year (could have more depending on what we do with #1 and if we trade a big name or not).

4) Expectations -- the fans want this ship to turn around right away, but the ownership and management will give the next coach 2-3 years to become a competitive org. Heck if someone can come in here and win 6 games next year, that would be considered good. Not too mention, you can't do too much worse than Petrino did.

5) The ATL -- we are football town. If the coach is liked by the fans, he will get tons of support (i.e. free this and free that).

chickenfried (1/17/2008)
This is ridiculous. First, is Geoff calling the ATL flea town because of the Dawg fans here? Or, did he mean flee town. If you are going to take a ##### on a franchise, correct your spelling and grammar.

Second, the Atlanta job is not that bad and people are really playing this up to make it extremely ugly. We are the Raiders of the east coast now -- thanks to Vick, McKay, and Petrino. I don't 100% blame McKay, he just was not as good as he thought he was with talent evaluation. Both Vick and Petrino have incredibly poor integrity and character.

Here's my list of why I think the Falcs Job is a good one:

1) Facilities -- you get anything you need and want. Flowery Branch is already considered one of the top NFL facilities and I imagine if a coach came in here and wanted a second indoor training facility, etc -- they'd get it.

2) Structure -- although we've been criticized about or org structure with all the McKay who-ha, we have made some good steps in creating an organization structure that will work. And, I believe TD is having an impact -- because we know how Blank likes the shiny white cadillac, so he would still be fighting for Garrett right now if it wasn't for TD telling him that he's not our man.

3) Draft -- Overall, we had a decent draft last year -- almost every rookie player with the exception of Doug Datish (put on IR at beginning of season) played in a game. We have 10 draft picks this year (could have more depending on what we do with #1 and if we trade a big name or not).

4) Expectations -- the fans want this ship to turn around right away, but the ownership and management will give the next coach 2-3 years to become a competitive org. Heck if someone can come in here and win 6 games next year, that would be considered good. Not too mention, you can't do too much worse than Petrino did.

5) The ATL -- we are football town. If the coach is liked by the fans, he will get tons of support (i.e. free this and free that).

Good post.

You won't hear that in the papers however,(not even in the AJC) or on TV due to all of the media lemmings who love to hop on the bandwagon of a winner and take the path of least resistance when kicking the teams who are down at the moment.

audit2 (1/17/2008)

A year ago it looked like the Atlanta Falcons were finally about to put the pieces together and become a championship team. Newly hired Head coach and offensive guru Bobby Petrino was going to turn Mike Vick into an actual quarterback. As we all know, things didn't quite work out to plan. Vick is in jail, and Petrino abandoned the horendous Falcons after just 13 games as Head Coach. After a forgettable season the Falcons are left looking in the mirror and realizing they have no offense, no defense, and most importantly... no coach. The real question is not who will be the next head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, but why would anyone take the job.

It seems to me that the Falcons head coaching job seems more like coaching suicide then a good opportunity. their most recent coaches, Jim Mora jr. and Bobby Petrino can attest to this. Mora lasted for awhile in Atlanta but was prematurely fired because he couldn't win a meaningful game in the second half of the season. Petrino, as was mentioned before, was gone after 13 games. Mora was given some talent on his teams during his tenure in Atlanta, most importantly he had Mike Vick. Petrino had nothing, so, wisely he jumped on a bus and fled town. Next years Falcons don't seem to have anymore talent then they had this year. So, to sum it up, my advice to Jason Garret or any other candidates, do what Pete Carrol did and stay where you are at. Even an assistent coaching job is better than committing coaching suicide in Atlanta.

The Falcons are heading nowhere and fast. The poor man that takes over that position will be either kicked out or flea town within two years. Maybe the Falcons should just concede all their games until Vick gets out of Jail and then try to rebuild from there. As ridiculous as it sounds it may be their best option.

Not sure if anyone read my post about the negative fans always thinking the "Glass is half empty" yesterday....but you should go read it...it applies to douchebags like you.....thanks for helping me reenforce my point.

ShaunnBigDin08 (1/17/2008)
audit2 (1/17/2008)

Not sure if anyone read my post about the negative fans always thinking the "Glass is half empty" yesterday....but you should go read it...it applies to douchebags like you.....thanks for helping me reenforce my point.

To be fair, he only posted an article written by some beatwriter #####. He didn't write it.

Who the **** is this guy and what credibility does he have?

Last time I checked tere were only 32 of these positions and guys work their a__es off to get the opportunity for one. He's an idiot, motivation and goals trump situation in field like this. Ask some of the guys who were hot up and comers last year but are not even being mentioned for interviews this year. You make your move while you can.

The only reason Garrett does not make a move this year is because Jerry will sweeten the deal to the point he can not leave. Jerry is a smart guy and he knows that if Garrett leaves as well as Sparano that the Coeboy coaching staff will be dessimated!

for the post that say vick did nothing for the falcons must remember that you never got to see that falcons because they were always blacked out. we never sold out the dome. bottom line he put fans in the seats. You can say that he wrecked the franchise. I dare to say that the franchise was wrecked before he got here. the falcons have been the worst franchise in football except maybe the cardinals since we started playing football here in atlanta. Yeah we had a few good years here and there, may once a decade.

with vick on this team, you have to hnestly say that you had expectations of greatness that is why you get so peeved at the mess he got himself into.

Look at it this way, this could be the comeback story of the century.

Who doesn't deserve redemption?

How many times have we had to be forgiven by our wives,kids, or bosses?

If his name wasn't vick it would hve been probation. and he would have still been here.

get over it dude... vick will be our QB again in 2009

trubirdfan4life (1/17/2008)
for the post that say vick did nothing for the falcons must remember that you never got to see that falcons because they were always blacked out. we never sold out the dome. bottom line he put fans in the seats. You can say that he wrecked the franchise. I dare to say that the franchise was wrecked before he got here. the falcons have been the worst franchise in football except maybe the cardinals since we started playing football here in atlanta. Yeah we had a few good years here and there, may once a decade.

with vick on this team, you have to hnestly say that you had expectations of greatness that is why you get so peeved at the mess he got himself into.

Look at it this way, this could be the comeback story of the century.

Who doesn't deserve redemption?

How many times have we had to be forgiven by our wives,kids, or bosses?

If his name wasn't vick it would hve been probation. and he would have still been here.

get over it dude... vick will be our QB again in 2009

Ignorant to say vick will be back in 2009.....very ignorant....i agree that he put fans in the stands....you are forgetting he still has to face state charges AND a suspension......wisen up a little bit.....but i dont agree....with we are the worth franchise....the SAINTS......they even got a nickname the aints and became famous for paper bags over their heads at games......

ShaunnBigDin08 (1/17/2008)
If you are going to post article the get fans riled up.....you might want to post whether you agree or not....because first thing who reads that assumes he agrees...:D but its all good.

You need to calm down. I read the article and believed it would be something that the board would be interested in reading. My opinion whether I agree or disagree doesn't have anything to do with this story.

I'll take the job. Give me a 5 yr contract 3 yrs quaranteed with a buyout.

Then give me Hue Jackson as OC

T. Mathis as WR coach

DC short list

Ryan DC/Asst. HC

Don Capers DC

or Singltary DC/Asst. HC

who wants to back me

and just a little about my political stance I want a good OL & DL

This guy is out of his mind. Mora deserved the axe. Petrino is lower than shrimp $hit so I won't even talk about him. Career suicide? LOL. This is an opportunity for some young coach to make his bones. A building project. If he does't work out, then we'll just have to keep chopping wood. What else can ya do? Right now it's slim pickings as far as "proven" anybody. We'll just have to see. Money talks.

audit2 (1/17/2008)

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Dolphins just fire a coach after 1 year. Aren't they on their 3 coach in 3 years now. Everyone seems to be praising their new hires, but has Parcells ever been a GM? Has their new coach ever been a head coach? I just love how people love to bash our team. While I think our roster needs improvement, I also see alot of good young players on this team, and I would rather have our roster than Miami's.:cool: