Joe Flacco=Gino Carmazzi or Perry Klein??

Ok, I keep reading about this Joe Flacco. Many of the people here are very high on him as are some draft "experts".

The hype machine is working overtime for this kid. I for one am not buying it. Now before you jump all over me and cite examples of Mel Kiper and all those other draft pundits who have this kid going in the 2nd or 3rd round lets be frank. Those "experts" are also the ones who were so positive that guys like Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, were all future pro-bowlers. Their word nor opinions are gospel.

Taking a player from a 1-A school is a risk. Of course ANY player is a risk but there are small risks and then there are reaches. Yes, there are exceptions but for the most part, a player with lesser stats from a div 1 school is the safer, smarter way to gorathen the guy with big stats from 1-A.

Lets take a look at the competition in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Delaware, Hofstra, James Madison, Maine, Mass, NH, Northeastern, RI, Richmond, Towson, Villanova, William and Mary.

Do you see anything that impresses you? Any powerhouses?

Next is the fact that while Flacco did very well this season he has this guy Omar Cuff as his running back. He was just shy of 2000 yards and had 35 TD's in 2007. While never an easy task, passing the ball certainly becomes easier when the defense is pooping themselves over whether or not the next play will have a 2000 yard rusher getting the ball.

Despite these two players, Delaware lost to Villanova and UNH. UNH is home to the CAA's best QB, Ricky Santos. Thats right. Flacco isnt even the best QB in his conference.

Every year there are 1 or 2 guys who are pumped up as the "feel good" story of the draft. Small town kid from small school hits big in draft. Gino Carmazzi was one such story. He played at Hofstra which coincidentally is in the same conference as Delaware.

Carmazzi was drafted in the 3rd round, was the 2nd QB selected in the draft ahead of some guys named Marc Buler and Tom Brady. Former Falcon Qb Perry Klein was the 3rd QB taken in 1994 in the 4th round ahead of Gus Frerotte.

Both were superior busts and gone from the NFL in a flash.

Again, I am not saying that Flacco WILL be a bust. Im not saying that he does not have the tools but Im talking about playing the odds in the draft.

Now, he will play in the Senior Bowl. A good showing will help his stock. Dont be fooled too much by it. The Senior bowl is full of all-stars. He will have a line that is probably superior to the Falcons' and the nations top WR's. Again, its easier to do your job when surrounded by the best guys the country has to offer.

Im not trying to tell anyone how to think but just give some food for thought on the subject. I keep seeing how people want to draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Are you telling me that he is less of a risk than say; Dixon, Henne, Ainge?

So while everyone is wowed by his youtube highlights and clips on ESPN, take the time to look at the whole picture. Like how he went 17 for 37 for 145 yards in a 16-10 loss to Villanova.

I know that Phill Simms was from Moorehead state and Jerry Rice from Miss valley but guys like then are certainly tremendouse exceptions and there are dozens upon dozens for kids from those small type schools that have come and gone without as much as making a start in the NFL.

Im not buying the hype. This kid LOOKS good but the risk is very VERY high on taking him with even a second day late round.

There is no real risk taking a small school QB on day 2.

Look, the draft is a roll of the dice on every pick. Flacco has the tools to be great, but who knows? So did Manning and Leaf...one panned out one didn't. Both had the tools, but one melted down mentally. Hardly any way to measure how well a player will hold up under media pressure and things like that. None of us know that. This is why it is always better to have more picks, not necessarily high picks. You need as many chances to get it right as possible.

And can we please stop calling 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders "busts"? That should be relegated to top 5 picks only.

Well, that depends on why you are taking him. Is he penciled in as a backup who one day will compete for a starting spot? If so then I totally agree.

What concerns me is that people are talking like this guy is "the man" for this team in a starting capacity. If youre looking small school 2nd day for a starter youre looking in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Look, the draft is a roll of the dice on every pick. Flacco has the tools to be great, but who knows? So did Manning and Leaf...one panned out one didn't. Both had the tools, but one melted down mentally. Hardly any way to measure how well a player will hold up under media pressure and things like that. None of us know that. This is why it is always better to have more picks, not necessarily high picks. You need as many chances to get it right as possible.

And can we please stop calling 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders "busts"? That should be relegated to top 5 picks only.

Great points many of which I included in my original post. As far as busts, lets at least go top 10 :)

Duff_Man (1/17/2008)

I agree. No one knows how any player will turn out.

Besides, I've seen Flacco play before. He's got the goods to be a good NFL QB.

You know there are still some really good players still there in the 3rd round. Like Jerious Norwood was. I had never seen Flacco play so I went on youtube and found one. He isn't good...like at all. There were a lot of passes that were just flat out behind the target, that made a HIGHLIGHT REEL.

People have a man crush on him becase he is 6'6 230, and "wont go down". However, the defensive players are like half his size in that division. App. State laid the wood to them in the national championship game really good. So I agree with you but im saying the HE WILL be a bust.

Tony Romo went to a 1-AA school. Not saying that Flacco will be another Romo, but it's not like every player that comes from a lower division is garbage...

I agree 100% and made that clear that there are exceptions. But out of every Tony Romo, Steve McNair and Phill Simms there are hundreds of guys that never play a down. Im just pointing out the need to look at the ENTIRE picture rather than a few guys out of thousands that broke the mold.

Flacco didn't do so well against App. State in the Championship game. But wait! What school in this state beat App. State...? Oh yeah GEORGIA SOUTHERN!

Had to make a plug

App state is usually at the top for that division as is GA Southern. Furman used to be but I havent seen much from them in the past few seasons.

falcons4life (1/17/2008)
Ok, I keep reading about this Joe Flacco. Many of the people here are very high on him as are some draft "experts".

The hype machine is working overtime for this kid. I for one am not buying it. Now before you jump all over me and cite examples of Mel Kiper and all those other draft pundits who have this kid going in the 2nd or 3rd round lets be frank. Those "experts" are also the ones who were so positive that guys like Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, were all future pro-bowlers. Their word nor opinions are gospel.

Taking a player from a 1-A school is a risk. Of course ANY player is a risk but there are small risks and then there are reaches. Yes, there are exceptions but for the most part, a player with lesser stats from a div 1 school is the safer, smarter way to gorathen the guy with big stats from 1-A.

Lets take a look at the competition in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Delaware, Hofstra, James Madison, Maine, Mass, NH, Northeastern, RI, Richmond, Towson, Villanova, William and Mary.

Do you see anything that impresses you? Any powerhouses?

Next is the fact that while Flacco did very well this season he has this guy Omar Cuff as his running back. He was just shy of 2000 yards and had 35 TD's in 2007. While never an easy task, passing the ball certainly becomes easier when the defense is pooping themselves over whether or not the next play will have a 2000 yard rusher getting the ball.

Despite these two players, Delaware lost to Villanova and UNH. UNH is home to the CAA's best QB, Ricky Santos. Thats right. Flacco isnt even the best QB in his conference.

Every year there are 1 or 2 guys who are pumped up as the "feel good" story of the draft. Small town kid from small school hits big in draft. Gino Carmazzi was one such story. He played at Hofstra which coincidentally is in the same conference as Delaware.

Carmazzi was drafted in the 3rd round, was the 2nd QB selected in the draft ahead of some guys named Marc Buler and Tom Brady. Former Falcon Qb Perry Klein was the 3rd QB taken in 1994 in the 4th round ahead of Gus Frerotte.

Both were superior busts and gone from the NFL in a flash.

Again, I am not saying that Flacco WILL be a bust. Im not saying that he does not have the tools but Im talking about playing the odds in the draft.

Now, he will play in the Senior Bowl. A good showing will help his stock. Dont be fooled too much by it. The Senior bowl is full of all-stars. He will have a line that is probably superior to the Falcons' and the nations top WR's. Again, its easier to do your job when surrounded by the best guys the country has to offer.

Im not trying to tell anyone how to think but just give some food for thought on the subject. I keep seeing how people want to draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Are you telling me that he is less of a risk than say; Dixon, Henne, Ainge?

So while everyone is wowed by his youtube highlights and clips on ESPN, take the time to look at the whole picture. Like how he went 17 for 37 for 145 yards in a 16-10 loss to Villanova.

I know that Phill Simms was from Moorehead state and Jerry Rice from Miss valley but guys like then are certainly tremendouse exceptions and there are dozens upon dozens for kids from those small type schools that have come and gone without as much as making a start in the NFL.

Im not buying the hype. This kid LOOKS good but the risk is very VERY high on taking him with even a second day late round.

Finally someone agrees with me! I have never been very high on him because of the lack of competion he had in college. Now i could be wrong about him. If the Falcons do draft him I will welcome him to the team and hope he proves me wrong and becomes a great QB for years to come.

I for one am on the Colt Brennan bandwagon, and I still think he is the best bang for your buck pick in this draft, as he will be a 3rd to 5th round pick. I find it hilarious when people say that Flacco is the next coming of Manning and then say "well Colt Brennan plays in the WAC, so he'll be a bust." Give me a break... I think Flacco has just as much potential as Brennan, the difference, like you said, is that the hype machine is going to push Flacco into round 2 where we'd be more financially tied to him.

falcons4life (1/17/2008)
Flacco didn't do so well against App. State in the Championship game. But wait! What school in this state beat App. State...? Oh yeah GEORGIA SOUTHERN!

Had to make a plug

App state is usually at the top for that division as is GA Southern. Furman used to be but I havent seen much from them in the past few seasons.

1st of all , Have you seen the guy Play ??? If not then you wouldn't understand . See Sig :Whistling:

falcons4life (1/17/2008)
1st of all , Have you seen the guy Play ??? If not then you wouldn't understand . See Sig

Nope, never been to a delaware game. How many did you go to this season and what intangibles can you tell us about him?

I'm not saing in person , I mean on TV , I've seen him play several times and he really impressed me , I think with a team around him he will be a very good pick in the 3rd , he has everything a Great QB needs to succeed in the NFL , I think he has the strongest arm in the Draft , and he is 6-6 , 236 , and can move really good when need be . And is very accurate , I love him for the pick and that is what I always go by , best player per pick .

Flacco is the same size as Vince Young , Young can run better , but Flacco I think can throw just as good as Vince if not better .

I'm not saing in person , I mean on TV , I've seen him play several times and he really impressed me , I think with a team around him he will be a very good pick in the 3rd , he has everything a Great QB needs to succeed in the NFL , I think he has the strongest arm in the Draft , and he is 6-6 , 236 , and can move really good when need be . And is very accurate , I love him for the pick and that is what I always go by , best player per pick .

Flacco is the same size as Vince Young , Young can run better , but Flacco I think can throw just as good as Vince if not better .

Ive seen him play on TV, once. He lost but he looked good but nothing that justifies a 3rd round pick.