It seems to me that every team wants to trade down as long as they get fair oir better value.

halsey

I don't care what pick a team has or what prospect they want, there's always going to listen to trade down offers. What single prospect is not worth a trade down if you can get multiple picks. Obviously the team trading down needs to gert enough value in return, or more, but there are always teams out there looking to sucker a team into giving up too much because they are hyped over one prospect. Everyone wants to be like the Carolina Panthers when they got the offer for an entire draft in return for Ricky Williams. The problem is finding a partner.

halsey (1/17/2008)
I don't care what pick a team has or what prospect they want, there's always going to listen to trade down offers. What single prospect is not worth a trade down if you can get multiple picks. Obviously the team trading down needs to gert enough value in return, or more, but there are always teams out there looking to sucker a team into giving up too much because they are hyped over one prospect. Everyone wants to be like the Carolina Panthers when they got the offer for an entire draft in return for Ricky Williams. The problem is finding a partner.

True

The only time I can think of when a team might simply want to ignore trade offers is when they have the opportunity to pick an elite QB prospect. I'm talking about someone like a John Elway or Carson Palmer, both of whom had little in the way of questions and were considered almost sure things.

Legion (1/17/2008)
Sadly there is no one in the top 10 that makes me excited QB wise. I don't really think that many will go for it unless McFadden, Jake Long, Dorsey, or Ellis is available.

I'm not much into hype at all. I really don't want Brohm, but if his stock soars it would make me happy because then some other sucker may pick him up freeing up one of the "in-the trenches" players that we've been begging for since '03!

grendel (1/17/2008)
halsey (1/17/2008)

How many picks is Peyton Manning worth?

I agree that in many cases more picks a little later is better than one guy, but you can only put 11 guys on the field at once, and an elite player can change the course of the game.

I'm actually talking about drafting players out of college. Not fantasy drafts where you can draft players after you've watched them play in the NFL for 10 years. When Manning was coming out of college it would have been real hard to get that pick from Indy. I don't know exactly what it would have cost, but it would have been real hard to make. He wasn't on the same level as say, Elway was as a prospect, but he wasn't far behind.