2008 Salary Cap -- Let's figure this out ...

OK, I've read a lot of posts and heard a couple of times that the Falcs have no Salary Cap space. So, I've been trying to do some research and maybe there's someone out there that can fill in the blanks (no pun) and we can get a better ballpark regarding how much free agency fun we may have.

Here's what I've found:

Salary cap in 2008 goes up to $116 million (espn.com link)

According to the 2007 Salary Cap info on FalcFans -- we were at $97 million (falcfans.com link)

USA Today shows a similar Salary number (doesn't show Vick's signing bonus or dead money) (usatoday.com link)

Things to factor in -- dead money will likely grow, because come June 1 -- there are going to be some players we don't keep. I don't know how much of these player's salaries we'll get stuck with -- nor do we know the players, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. Just for the sake of arguing, let's say the dead money amount goes up by $2 million.

If you take out the guys we probably won't resign or have already been cut who's contracts are up in 2007 -- that's roughly $7 mil.

We don't know what the Vick dead money hit will be, but let's project the same as 2007.

So given all the above girations -- we are at roughly $92 mill for the start of 2008. That gives us $24 mill in cap space to sign draftees, Boley, Koenen, and maybe 2 or 3 good free agents?

Any thoughts or ideas? Corrections?

that is around what I was thinking. we will have some dead money next year, but we had 7 mil of dead money this year not including vick. there will be dead money but what we can't take is the huge cap hits of dead players like brooking and dunn. we can get brooking to restructure again, I believe. but dunn is a cut and resign type of deal if anything. we will get rid of gandy even though he had never been hurt in his career before last year...his cap number is getting to be too much.

we are not in as bad a shape as people would like to think. we get rid of dunn brooking and gandy, we will be right at 30 mil which is above average in the league

that USATODAY website is great.

I learned this from the site:

Warrick Dunn is overpaid as ****. I was against all of the 'cut warrick' people, until I saw that number.

Hopefully, Finneran gets cut.

Harrington is overpaid.

Our Oline is pretty well paid for sucking so bad.

Brooking, I would like to keep him, but we have to renegotiate. He is the third highest paid LB in the game. Behind Ray Lewis and Zack Thomas.

Correct me if I am wrong but if we just go and start cutting guys under contract dont we EAT their salary anyway?

It all counts against the cap if they are under contract.

Way around it is re-negotiate their contracts, lesser overall pay with a bonus up front dragged out over a few more years.

Im not a cap expert but I do believe this is accurate. If not, please correct me.

falcons4life (1/17/2008)
Correct me if I am wrong but if we just go and start cutting guys under contract dont we EAT their salary anyway?

Not exactly. We would owe no salary in most cases when the player is cut before June1. We would have his signing bonus accelerate and ALL count against the cap. For example, if we signed a player to a 4 year contract paying $3 million a year, and an $8 million signing bonus this is what would happen:

The first year counts $5 million against the cap [$3 million salary, $2 million bonus] against the cap.

If he is cut after the first year, the player would count for $6 million against the cap [$0 for salary, $6 million accelerated bonus], and this is called dead money because we are charged against the cap, but don't even have the player on the team.

These are the basics, but there are other twists: Post June 1 cuts, roster bonuses, guaranteed money, etc. When you hear about a big contract, you really need to focus on how much is guaranteed, because that is really what the team cannot avoid paying.

Feel free to correct any misunderstandings I may have.

You know it is the same every year.

The Falcons were plagued with injuries last year and were poorly coached ...

Kerney was tripled teamed (with Abe out) and played with one arm and got criticized for being overpaid for his production.

The FO then gets criticized for trading him to Seattle where he had a career year.

The point is ... these elite players do not play in a vacuum ... it is a team sport ... and a great player can have an off year if the team just ain't clicking.

Not exactly. We would owe no salary in most cases when the player is cut before June1. We would have his signing bonus accelerate and ALL count against the cap.

Thanks for the info. My initial post was flawed when I said "salary"

Signing bonuses are almost mandatory these days and guys like Dunn are sure to have big bonus money that we will have to eat which is basically what I was trying to say.

Don't forget both Harrington and Leftwich will likely be gone ... and they get paid plenty to sit on the sidelines.

Redman will either start with a highly drafted QB in the wings.

Or we will get another vet with Redman as back-up and a mid-rounder QB in the wings.

We can't look at league limit increases - because everyone get's those.

The good news is we had a prolific draft last season (something that gets lost in the misery) ...

With Houston, Blalock, Anderson, Lewis, and Nicholas (saving D'Mos cap) ... we can save a chunk of change over other teams at those possitions. Robinson will be at the very least a number three receiver ... replacing Finneran.

Drafting another lineman to start and a running back with our 5 first day picks would give us a very young but relatively experienced and cheap roster freeing up room for some serious free agents ... and the resigning of our proven vets.

There is reason to be hopeful.

Good point Magnus, Dunn still amounted for more than 600 yards with an O-line that changed weekly. Not to mention a coach that would call plays that weren't practiced during the week and not even discussed for 3 or more weeks. And the last two games that Hue called, Dunn had decent numbers.

I still have some doubts that Dunn will be back, but we'll see.

Hopefully, TD's team attitude running the front office will trickle down to the clubhouse.

chickenfried (1/16/2008)
OK, I've read a lot of posts and heard a couple of times that the Falcs have no Salary Cap space. So, I've been trying to do some research and maybe there's someone out there that can fill in the blanks (no pun) and we can get a better ballpark regarding how much free agency fun we may have.

Here's what I've found:

Salary cap in 2008 goes up to $116 million (espn.com link)

According to the 2007 Salary Cap info on FalcFans -- we were at $97 million (falcfans.com link)

USA Today shows a similar Salary number (doesn't show Vick's signing bonus or dead money) (usatoday.com link)

Things to factor in -- dead money will likely grow, because come June 1 -- there are going to be some players we don't keep. I don't know how much of these player's salaries we'll get stuck with -- nor do we know the players, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. Just for the sake of arguing, let's say the dead money amount goes up by $2 million.

If you take out the guys we probably won't resign or have already been cut who's contracts are up in 2007 -- that's roughly $7 mil.

We don't know what the Vick dead money hit will be, but let's project the same as 2007.

So given all the above girations -- we are at roughly $92 mill for the start of 2008. That gives us $24 mill in cap space to sign draftees, Boley, Koenen, and maybe 2 or 3 good free agents?

Any thoughts or ideas? Corrections?

I'll speak to the part that I handle (the FalcFans cap info). Right now, I'm working on the 2008 numbers (granted not nearly as much as I'd like to). I've seen reports of $5 or 6 million to be available before anything is done. I haven't been able to prove or disprove that at this point.

I'm hoping to be done with the updates by the end of this month.

Dead money will grow, salaries increase, etc. so not sure 2007 is a great basis for 2008.

I think the new GM should just sit down with Brooking and Dunn and renegotiate. I don't think either playing would go to another team at this point. Renegotiate or hit the road, tell them we have to think about the future and they can be part of it or they can find a different future.

We need to cut Dunn, Brooking, Gandy and Coleman. The signing bonuses are low for all four. That will save at least 10 mil. That way we can get Alan Faneca and hopefully get Keith back at a lower price. I would love to keep Gandy and Coleman at a lower price as well but being at 87 mill with the cap at 116 would allow us to probably pick up Faneca and an OT in the draft which would fortify our OL, with Gandy at a lower price.