Sources: For Garrett, it's between Baltimore and Dallas

Garrett could decide tomorrow

Cowboys offensive coordinator reportedly weighing Ravens offer and remaining in Dallas

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter

8:14 PM EST, January 16, 2008

The Ravens' coaching search was put on hold today as team officials wait to hear Jason Garrett's decision.

After interviewing with the Ravens and the Atlanta Falcons the past two days, the Cowboys offensive coordinator flew back to Dallas tonight to contemplate his future.

A league source said Garrett has narrowed his choices to the Ravens or the Cowboys and he could make his decision tomorrow.

If Garrett turns down the Ravens, they will turn their attention to Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh, the source added.

The Ravens contacted Harbaugh over the weekend to notify him they wanted a second meeting, but the interview has not been scheduled as of tonight. Harbaugh, though, could be in Baltimore for an afternoon meeting because he is only a two-hour drive away.

Harbaugh, 45, has never been a head coach at any level, but he impressed the Ravens' search committee in his first visit on Jan. 8.

The Ravens presumably want to name a new coach by the end of the week.

Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and veteran head coach Marty Schottenheimer are no longer being considered by the Ravens, the source said.

If Garrett is no longer in the running in Atlanta, the Falcons could hire Ryan, who has been a favorite of owner Arthur Blank. With his ability to motivate players and his likeable "football guy" persona, Ryan could be seen as the right coach to turn around the Falcons.

The Ravens have been searching for a new coach since firing Brian Billick on Dec. 31.

Ravens officials tried to hire Garrett on Monday, visiting with him for seven hours. It is believed they talked to him about a four-year deal.

One league source said there have been indications that Garrett could be leaning toward staying with the Cowboys.

There has been speculation that Garrett visited the Ravens and Falcons only to get a better contract with the Cowboys because that's where he ultimately wants to remain.

Knowing his support from owner Jerry Jones, Garrett could be the eventual successor to head coach Wade Phillips. But giving Garrett a hefty raise could complicate matters in Dallas.

To keep Garrett with the Cowboys, Jones might have to pay Garrett as much as -- or perhaps even more than -- Phillips, who reportedly makes about $3 million a season.

In a conference call with reporters today, former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman said he doesn't think Garrett would pass up a head coaching job even if he were assured of becoming the next Cowboys coach. But Aikman said Garrett wouldn't accept a head coaching job if he thought the situation was wrong for him.

Aikman later acknowledged how long Jones has admired Garrett.

"Jerry wanted to hire Jason as offensive coordinator my last season [2000]," he said. "He would have been offensive coordinator/backup quarterback."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4331444.story

The Baltimore Sun updates and posts new articles on the Ravens coaching search everyday, and have been very up-to-date. I'm impressed with their coverage...

atlfalcon2184 (1/16/2008)
I think he stays with the cowboys . Now that he is back in Dallas, Jerry Jones will offer him a ton of money. Hard to turn down that kind of money, especially when he won't have to deal with the pressure of being a HC.
If indeed he has decided to not coach in Atlanta, if Rex Ryan was in the top 3, and being the only one left, the Falcons could be naming him Head Coach very, very soon...

I think he stays with the cowboys . Now that he is back in Dallas, Jerry Jones will offer him a ton of money. Hard to turn down that kind of money, especially when he won't have to deal with the pressure of being a HC.

I agree. He's taking waaaaay too long to make a decision to be a HC, which tells me he doesn't have the balls to be one yet.

Baltimore is going to get shafted.

The Cush (1/16/2008)
If indeed he has decided to not coach in Atlanta, if Rex Ryan was in the top 3, and being the only one left, the Falcons could be naming him Head Coach very, very soon...

If there are no new interviews announced tomorrow, I think that will be the case. Personally, I'd like to see TD interview more than Ryan and Garrett.

The Cush (1/16/2008)

If there are no new interviews announced tomorrow, I think that will be the case. Personally, I'd like to see TD interview more than Ryan and Garrett.

Schwartz!

Bring on Ryan or Spags or Singletary!

My guess is that Garrett has come to his senses, especially after having his offense got held to 10.5 points over the last 4 games and then getting out played against the Giants.

Not that I wouldn't be surprised if he did come to Atlanta...this management team has surprised us before. Also, TD seems capable of keeping thing tight against his chest.

chickenfried (1/16/2008)
Bring on Ryan or Spags or Singletary!

My thoughts exactly!

chickenfried (1/16/2008)
My guess is that Garrett has come to his senses, especially after having his offense got held to 10.5 points over the last 4 games and then getting out played against the Giants.

Not that I wouldn't be surprised if he did come to Atlanta...this management team has surprised us before. Also, TD seems capable of keeping thing tight against his chest.

As bad as Garrett may have looked, Sparano looked just as bad. On the other hand, maybe they just looked bad in comparison to Spagnuolo.

Garrett is just weighing his options. Which scenerio is better after 2 years: Jason Garrett, future HC of the Dallas Cowboys, or Jason Garrett, former HC of the Atlanta Falcons. He can afford to be patient and wait for the better better job in Dallas, or take a job that he will be potetially fired from is he doesn't win. As for Baltimore, all he needs to do is tweak the offense because the defense is set. We will be rebuilding for serveral years before we think about the playoffs again.