Does anyone know how the contracts between teams and conferences work?

Headshot

Does anyone know how that works? Can the SEC decide to release a team whenever they want or would you have to have another team lined up to join your conference or could you do a swap or trade or what? There was an interesting discussion at work about which teams we would like to get rid of from the SEC and bring in some people who would make more of an impact.

Swapping South Carolina for Clemson immediately comes to mind. That is something I have wanted to see for a LONG time.

Conference membership is usually set in the by-laws of the conference, each is different. Most times though it takes a vote to expel a member. Last one I remember was when Marshall was kicked out the MAC in the 60's. I don't remember if SMU was thrown out of theirs when they got the death penalty.

The SEC could change USC for Clemson but well, divorce is easy but the settlement would be a mess. And Clemson would have to agree, something highly unlikely.

Very interesting question. I'm not sure what the answer would be. I guess digging into the ACC/Big East/Conference USA swapping around with Miami, BC, VT, etc. would answer some questions. I'm pretty sure any team can leave their conference if they are invited to another, but the fallout might be ugly.

USC for Clemson sounds good. I'd trade Arky or UK for Texas or Oklahoma. They'd never bite though. I'd let GT back in the SEC just to see 'em get kicked around even more. :D

SC hasn't done that poorly representing the SEC. They've played in a couple of bowl games under Spurrier winning one of them. Started out on fire last season only to fizzle after the heartbreaker at Ten.

Odom, the BB coach has announced that he is retiring after this season which is good because he was going to be fired anyway.

In baseball the Gamecocks are perennial (sp) powerhouses who contend for the SEC title on a regular basis.

So SC is certainly one of the weaker links on the football field, but they are getting better talent and should be more competitive as the years go on. Prior to Spurrier arriving in Gainesville I seem to remember the Gators being one of the weak links in the SEC, so it might be a little unrealistic for you guys to be eliminating the Gamecocks just yet.

xnex (1/18/2008)
SC hasn't done that poorly representing the SEC. They've played in a couple of bowl games under Spurrier winning one of them. Started out on fire last season only to fizzle after the heartbreaker at Ten.

Odom, the BB coach has announced that he is retiring after this season which is good because he was going to be fired anyway.

In baseball the Gamecocks are perennial (sp) powerhouses who contend for the SEC title on a regular basis.

So SC is certainly one of the weaker links on the football field, but they are getting better talent and should be more competitive as the years go on. Prior to Spurrier arriving in Gainesville I seem to remember the Gators being one of the weak links in the SEC, so it might be a little unrealistic for you guys to be eliminating the Gamecocks just yet.

Yea man I didn't mean it disrespectfully. I just think it's crazy that since the implementation of the SEC Championship Game, only 3 teams from the East have ever participated. I just think it would be cool to see things shook up a little. South Carolina has helped the SEC in their 9-0 record against Ohio State, but that's about it. You guys up to this point have really only existed to tip the scales in favor of either Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida to see who gets the spot in the SEC Championship Game.

I think South Carolina would make a much bigger impact in the ACC. It always seemed weird to me that South Carolina and North Carolina were in different conferences, I would think that that should be a big time rivalry. I think bringing Clemson into the SEC would just make the East a little more competitive than you guys have made it, again no disrespect intended, it's just an opinion.

I also would like to see Vandy swapped for Georgia Tech, so don't think the hate is all on SC;)

Yea man I didn't mean it disrespectfully. I just think it's crazy that since the implementation of the SEC Championship Game, only 3 teams from the East have ever participated. I just think it would be cool to see things shook up a little. South Carolina has helped the SEC in their 9-0 record against Ohio State, but that's about it. You guys up to this point have really only existed to tip the scales in favor of either Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida to see who gets the spot in the SEC Championship Game.

I think South Carolina would make a much bigger impact in the ACC. It always seemed weird to me that South Carolina and North Carolina were in different conferences, I would think that that should be a big time rivalry. I think bringing Clemson into the SEC would just make the East a little more competitive than you guys have made it, again no disrespect intended, it's just an opinion.

Who knows, maybe we'll step up to the plate in the near future and actually contend. Georgia looks like the odds on fav. in the east next year with Fla. right behind them. After that, who really knows. Ten. is normally right there too, but maybe SC can actually step up and compete. We're usually good for beating one of the big 3 each year so maybe next season we can beat 2 of them.

Regarding Clemson, they've been in the ACC since it began, I think; so they probably feel like that's home to them. However I do agree that they should play Georgia more frequently. That is a very good rivalry and Clemson is much closer to UGA than it is to USC which is most likely why they have been able to out recruit SC in the past. They are so close to GA that they have an easier time recruiting down there in that talent rich area.

I also would like to see Vandy swapped for Georgia Tech, so don't think the hate is all on SC;)

Pulpwood Smith (1/17/2008)
I'd trade Arky or UK for Texas or Oklahoma.

Careful... They play other sports besides football in the SEC... This year notwithstanding, UK IS SEC basketball...

Add up all of the regular season titles by the 12 other SEC teams and you'll get one more than the total for Kentucky... Kentucky has 43 titles... 2nd place team has 9... Kentucky also has more SEC tournament titles than the rest of the SEC teams combined... UK has 25... 2nd place team has 6... There's also more than double the amount of National Championship banners hanging from Rupp as there are in all of the other SEC arenas combined...

I doubt you'd wanna trade that away... ;)