Branden Ore declares for 2008 nfl draft

atljbo

I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker. This is a bad move on Ore's part. I don't think he is ready but I kind of understand why. He had always had problems in school and at one point was sent home to get his head on straight. I think this gives him a reason to stop going to school now.

Ex-coach says Tech's Ore will explore NFL draft

Posted to: Sports Virginia Tech football

By Kyle Tucker

The Virginian-Pilot

© January 15, 2008

Virginia Tech running back Branden Ore, who just completed his junior season, will file paperwork with the NFL before today's deadline to declare for the league's April draft, according to his high school coach.

"He'll submit it, just to have that in place in case he has to go," said Elisha "Cadillac" Harris, who met with Ore and his mother at their Chesapeake home last week. "He's not going to hire an agent because he can withdraw his name by

Jan. 18. He's weighing his options and that could be one of them. Hopefully he doesn't have to exercise it."

Harris said Virginia Tech's coaches may not welcome Ore back for his senior season after learning their starting tailback was called to testify in a federal drug case last week. Ore, an Indian River High School graduate, had been present in a vehicle in which crack cocaine was found by police a year and a half ago. Ore testified against the driver, who was convicted Friday but whose defense attorney tried to place the blame on Ore.

"I went over to the house to tell him how I felt about his situation and the choice he made," said Harris, who remains a close family friend. "He's back up at Tech now, but I don't think he's enrolled. I guess he's waiting to see what has to happen. The coaches, they're not happy, that's for sure."

Harris said Ore's mother spoke with Tech running backs coach Billy Hite on Monday and that the coaches are scheduled to meet with Ore this week "to see what hoops he'll have to jump through to allow him to come back."

Harris said he didn't know whether academics were part of the equation but said "they might be."

During his testimony in last week's trial, Ore admitted to using marijuana in high school and continuing to associate with marijuana users in college. The driver testified that he was taking Ore to purchase marijuana on the night he was pulled over and the crack was discovered.

"I'm very concerned about him," Harris said. "This is his life, his livelihood. I'm concerned about him graduating and I'm concerned about his football. That's a God-given ability he has that's greater than what most will ever have. I'm like a concerned father; I want him to get himself in line."

This is not the first time Ore has drawn the ire of Hokies coaches. Hite asked Ore to leave school and the team in the spring of 2006, citing a lack of focus in the classroom. Ore returned to his mother's home and worked at a 7-Eleven warehouse for the semester, where he said he learned the value of hard work and earned a greater appreciation for his opportunity at Tech.

That summer, he went back to Blacksburg, where coaches said he seemed to have matured. He had a breakout sophomore season, piling up 1,351 yards and 17 touchdowns rushing and receiving. He was selected first-team All-ACC.

Last summer, Ore left summer school abruptly - citing personal issues back home - and returned to camp in August out of shape. He was briefly demoted to No. 3 on the depth chart but won the starting job before the season started.

He struggled through the year, though, averaging a full yard per carry less than in 2006. He didn't crack 1,000 yards for the season and surpassed 100 yards in just two games. And he was suspended for the first quarter of the Orange Bowl after showing up late to a practice.

Ore said during the season that he knew his sub-par year meant he wouldn't be a high draft choice and that he planned to come back as a senior. He didn't even request an evaluation from the NFL advisory committee to see where - or if - he'd be picked if he came out early.

"When he's in top shape, he's one of the best running backs in the country," Harris said. "But a lot goes into getting drafted these days and, obviously, this would not be the best timing for him to come out. He needs to get back in school and we tried to map out a plan. That's what his mother and I want. The coaches will let him know by Thursday if he can do that.

"The NFL is the second option."

http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=763040Ore is not going pro...

Rumors have been swirling around Virginia Tech running back Branden Ore heading to the NFL draft. Those were put to rest today when the Hokie tailback announced he will return for his senior year.

Ore withdrew his name from consideration for the 2008 NFL draft and confirmed he plans to enroll in classes this spring.

The Chesapeake, Va. prospect led the Hokies with 992-yards rushing and 10 touchdowns this season, a dramatic drop from his 2006 season where he posted 1,137-yards and 16 scores.

With Ore's return, the Virginia Tech backfield is loaded with talent including redshirt freshmen Josh Oglesby and Darren Evans as well as sophomores Jahre Cheeseman and Kenny Lewis Jr. Not to be forgotten in the conversation is Rivals100 running back Ryan Williams who committed to the Hokies last week.