Mel Kiper Says that the "best scenario" for McFadden is in Atlanta

Luis Orlando, FL: With all the RB's leaving early for the draft, does that hurt McFadden's draft value?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:09 PM ET ) No, not really, because he's a cut above everybody else. Jonathan Stewart is a guy very intriguing. He put to rest the durability issues this year. He is a very talented RB. He was considered one of the best players since high school. Felix Jones is a game breaker. You have great depth at RB this year. Jamaal Charles out of Texas is a speedster. Kevin Smith. Talk about a guy who had 450 carries. That's amazing. Talk about a workhorse. Ray Rice at Rutgers. He's a Joe Morris type. Steve Slaton. What it does is say that teams don't have to trade up to get a RB, you can stay where you are at get a good RB. Plus, only three or four teams really need a RB anyway.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:10 PM ET ) A lot of teams believe in the tandem RB. It's a copy cat league. When you see a team with two RBs - Minnesota with Peterson and Taylor, Maroney and Faulk in New England, Turner and LT in San Diego. I think the best scenario for McFadden is Atlanta.

No doubt that a McFadden/Norwood tandem would be sick.

But with all of our needs and the depth of RB in this draft, especially considering the culture that our new GM just came from, I kind of doubt that we will see this dream team.

3rd round RB may be likely.

I just don't see us spending a 1st on McFadden.

I don't think we will use our first round pick on a QB...

If we drafted Matt Ryan, would you start him? w/ our OL..you might as well go ahead and break his legs. would you bench him? so he can learn from a more experienced QB..if that was the path you would take which QB we have now would you want to teach him? So we would have to pick up a more experienced QB off waivers.

I am thinking we will draft a DL or OL..

Dedsquirrl (1/16/2008)
No doubt that a McFadden/Norwood tandem would be sick.

But with all of our needs and the depth of RB in this draft, especially considering the culture that our new GM just came from, I kind of doubt that we will see this dream team.

3rd round RB may be likely.

I just don't see us spending a 1st on McFadden.

While Dim. said he is going to address most of the needs via free agency at some point in yest. PC. I think thats a good idea. There are several veteran free agents at OL who can come in and play right away. Whereas if you draft one they probably wont be able to start until week 3-4 and they will not have as good of a sense for the game as the vets, obviously. I think we needs some vets to help develop Blaylock and Forney. Both of those guys are young. McFadden is one of the best, if not the best talent in the draft.

ATLRunner262 (1/16/2008)
I don't think we will use our first round pick on a QB...

If we drafted Matt Ryan, would you start him? w/ our OL..you might as well go ahead and break his legs. would you bench him? so he can learn from a more experienced QB..if that was the path you would take which QB we have now would you want to teach him? So we would have to pick up a more experienced QB off waivers.

I am thinking we will draft a DL or OL..

If Long goes to the Rams, which he probably will, I bet we trade down to get more picks.

From what I have been reading so far, the only OLman that warrants a pick as high as ours is Long.

DL is Dorsey and who knows what the Tuna is going to do down in Miami.

He could take Dorsey, trade down, slap Goodell and deficate on the podium, etc.

In my opinion we have 3 OPTIONS.

1-Draft Jake Long if he is on the board

2-Trade the pick if somebody wants McFadden that bad and stockpile

3-Draft McFadden

Now its clear as day we need a oline we continue to disregard this and it comes a day we have to turn our focus onto it..We are more then likely out of the running for any top tier olineman that hit the market with our limited salary cap space..

so if we do choose McFADDEN I wouldnt be upset cause he is going to be a fine NFL player as long as it is followed up with oline and escpially a Tackle.

My dream situation

1st round-Long

2nd round -Henne

2nd round-Hart

all Michigan

BlacksburgHokie (1/16/2008)
Luis Orlando, FL: With all the RB's leaving early for the draft, does that hurt McFadden's draft value?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:09 PM ET ) No, not really, because he's a cut above everybody else. Jonathan Stewart is a guy very intriguing. He put to rest the durability issues this year. He is a very talented RB. He was considered one of the best players since high school. Felix Jones is a game breaker. You have great depth at RB this year. Jamaal Charles out of Texas is a speedster. Kevin Smith. Talk about a guy who had 450 carries. That's amazing. Talk about a workhorse. Ray Rice at Rutgers. He's a Joe Morris type. Steve Slaton. What it does is say that teams don't have to trade up to get a RB, you can stay where you are at get a good RB. Plus, only three or four teams really need a RB anyway.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:10 PM ET ) A lot of teams believe in the tandem RB. It's a copy cat league. When you see a team with two RBs - Minnesota with Peterson and Taylor, Maroney and Faulk in New England, Turner and LT in San Diego. I think the best scenario for McFadden is Atlanta.

I totally agree. What rb wouldnt want to play behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league?

It will be a good opportunity not the best because he will start right away and get almost every carry.

Steve_Bartkowski (1/16/2008)
Nativebird (1/16/2008)
Mel Kiper must have not watched our O-line mutch this year. Yes we need a RB, but we DO NOT need a 1st round RB. we need a 1st round BEAST of an o-lineman.

Correct...

Falcons are the best scenerio for McFadden? Seriously? Has he seen our O-line? McFadden would be getting stuffed behind the line of scrimmage just like our other RBs.

I would have thought NE would have been McFadden's best scenario. He would get to tandem with Maroney so that means less injury, not to mention play in a great offense behind a good offensive line... Oh ya, and the potential championships as well... Dallas wouldn't be bad for him either...

Money is probably most important to the younger players. The more carries he gets the more money he makes. He would split time in NE and they pass a ton and depending on whether Dallas does with their rb's he possibly would split time there too.

I dont see how the jets wouldnt be his best scenario they are a young team who just drafted 2 top lineman and dont have a solid #1 back.

Best scenario for McFadden may be Atlanta but me thinks the best scenario for atlanta would be a J. Stew/ Norwood combo. Size/speed/cutting/agility/sight that Snoop has and a pure burner in Norwood. But, I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

thenfl (1/16/2008)
What rb wouldnt want to play behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league?

Unless he is a stuck up arrogant ******, he will be thrilled just to have an opportunity to make an NFL roster and pursue a professional career.

No one is good enough to just demand where they will play in the NFL. It is a privilege of the highest order for a football player to be in the NFL, even on a "crappy" team. There are thousands of college players who never step foot on the field for a game in an NFL jersey... every single year.

Atlanta may not have a great o-line, but any player who refuses to play for the Falcons is a fool and will more than likely not find favor with anyone else. If a top pick could just demand a trade or refuse to play for whatever team drafts them, we'd see more people than Eli Manning doing it.