A Friend's Take on Garrett

falken

I have to admit the lack of experience threw me for a loop from the start. I think everyone's confusion is warranted because we just don't know the guy. I have a freind who is a huge Cowboy fan, I know that the Cowboy's have a lot of fans, but this guy is a fan like I'm a Falcon fan. Huge.

I'm paraprhasing our phone call:

Me: Ring, Ring .............answering machine: "This is Todd. Leave a message?"

Me:"Hey Todd, I saw where Jason Garrett is coming into Atlanta tomorrow for a second interview. What can you tell me?"

After 15 minutes I call back, Ring, Ring, Ri..(Todd answers phone without hesitation going into a spill like he was a telemarketer trying to sell me vinyl siding) "He's an Ivy leaguer. People in the Cowboy organization have known he was HC material for years. He has excellent communication skills and is one of the smartest guys in the game. His teammates have always liked him and, ****, even Troy Aikman said the guy was a coach even when he was just a back-up QB. If he goes anywhere I'll be pi$$ed. IF HE DOES LEAVE, I'll always hope he comes back to one day be our HC. He is a Cowboy at heart you know."

Long pause....."anything else?"

Me: No man, I think you pretty much summed it up.

Yesterday he emailed me this link.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ts.1ce7ffd.html

Great informative post. I have a guy who works for me who is a huge Cowboys fan as well. He said pretty much the same things you have said about Garrett. He actually showed me a similar article on CNNSI about Garrett, and how he is a family man. In my opinion, the Falcons are no more than a bargaining tool for Garrett. The Ravens and Cowboys both offer Garrett a wide range of opportunities. Between this post and the "Garrett's Rookie Mistake" post, I am nearly positive Garrett will not be our next HC.

That's great that people in the Cowboys organization think he's been HC material for years.

My problem is that he's been only been a coach for a few years.

He's going to go through a pretty steep learning curve if he becomes a head coach.

This guy will have to learn about sooo many little things that come with being a head coach because being a head coach isn't exactly about X's and O's.

At some point his inexperience will show.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/16/2008)
That's great that people in the Cowboys organization think he's been HC material for years.

My problem is that he's been only been a coach for a few years.

He's going to go through a pretty steep learning curve if he becomes a head coach.

This guy will have to learn about sooo many little things that come with being a head coach because being a head coach isn't exactly about X's and O's.

At some point his inexperience will show.

I agree. I can't say I'm sold on the guy myself. Of course I've always felt like respect is earned and not given. All coaches make mistakes. Usually the worst mistake to overcome is how you handle people. Finding a coach with that perfect balance between the scheme and personality is key to longevity in this league. Keeping the same coach and scheme around as long as possible enhances the chances for success with the right balance.

The guy has been around football since he was born. His Dad was a coach. All of his brothers have been coaches. He has been preparing for this role his entire life.

If we do hire him.......I'll gladly give him a chance to see what he can do.

falken

Vargil (1/16/2008)
Its actually Kevin Burnett. Why is it people seem to think people don't know people sometimes? I just didn't put his name in the previous post.

I don't think he was doubting you. I think we would all LOVE to hear a Cowboy player's insight.

I agree. I can't say I'm sold on the guy myself. Of course I've always felt like respect is earned and not given. All coaches make mistakes. Usually the worst mistake to overcome is how you handle people. Finding a coach with that perfect balance between the scheme and personality is key to longevity in this league. Keeping the same coach and scheme around as long as possible enhances the chances for success with the right balance.

The guy has been around football since he was born. His Dad was a coach. All of his brothers have been coaches. He has been preparing for this role his entire life.

"The guy has been around football since he was born. His Dad was a coach. All of his brothers have been coaches. He has been preparing for this role his entire life."

Are you talking about Garrett or Jim Mora? Remember that we already had a guy like that except he had MUCH more coaching experience.

And I had heard about Mora I think a year before he came here. The word around the league was that he was going to be a good head coach. I think that Mora will be MUCH better his second time around but his learning curve basically cost him his job.

For example now he knows not to get too buddy buddy with his players AND don't even joke about taking a college job on the radio when you already have a job.

But if we hire him we hire him and I'll go with it. I won't have as big a deal with that as I did with Petirno.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/16/2008)

"The guy has been around football since he was born. His Dad was a coach. All of his brothers have been coaches. He has been preparing for this role his entire life."

Are you talking about Garrett or Jim Mora? Remember that we already had a guy like that except he had MUCH more coaching experience.

And I had heard about Mora I think a year before he came here. The word around the league was that he was going to be a good head coach. I think that Mora will be MUCH better his second time around but his learning curve basically cost him his job.

For example now he knows not to get too buddy buddy with his players AND don't even joke about taking a college job on the radio when you already have a job.

But if we hire him we hire him and I'll go with it. I won't have as big a deal with that as I did with Petirno.

I think the main thing that cost Mora his job was his loyalty to Knapp and his hapless passing scheme. If Mora would have made the playoffs his ##### radio statements would have been water under the bridge.

My biggest concern with hiring Garrett will be his staff. I won't believe any rumors about Cameron, Capers or Kiffin until the ink is dry.

....it looks like whichever coach we hire, they won't have the experience we wish they had, at least not at the HC level.