A new HC has to be hired by tomorrow

boss hogg

I say this because players, NFL coaches and scouts arrive at the Senior Bowl on Sunday. The first practice is Monday. I cannot imagine the front office not having a HC and members of his staff at the senior bowl to evaluate talent and talk to players right from the beginning. All of the teams that need new coaches are probably thinking the same thing.

Actually, Dimitroff himself said on 680 this morning, that it is not crucial to have a head coach before the senior bowl, and they are more concerned with making the right hire, than having someone in place for the senior bowl. He mentioned they will have all their personnel people there.

I understand your logic, but I don't think it is a must. I believe the fanbase has become divided and are becoming more and more impatient. The fact of the matter is, if the fans don't allow them proper time to hire the suitable candidate to turn this team around, they will no longer be fans. This is going to be a long process of bringing new players in, and developing systems that work for Atlanta. I see a lot of these fans as fly-by-nighters. They aren't supportive, and will soon no longer grace us with their prescense on this msg board :).:P

boss hogg (1/16/2008)

I say this because players, NFL coaches and scouts arrive at the Senior Bowl on Sunday. The first practice is Monday. I cannot imagine the front office not having a HC and members of his staff at the senior bowl to evaluate talent and talk to players right from the beginning. All of the teams that need new coaches are probably thinking the same thing.

I don't agree with this. I assume our next Coach will be threr, if he's any kind of football man whatsoever, whether he's under contract with us, some other team, or even on his own. Opinion?

ga.swamper (1/16/2008)
boss hogg (1/16/2008)

I don't agree with this. I assume our next Coach will be threr, if he's any kind of football man whatsoever, whether he's under contract with us, some other team, or even on his own. Opinion?

Well, I think a coach or scout would need to know what he's looking for to maximize his visit to the Senior Bowl. Also when a staff goes to the Senior Bowl, it not only gives them time to speak to and evaluate the players, but it also gives them time together as a staff to strategize, talk about the previous season, etc. And when I say staff I mean coaches, management and scouts. I'm sorry ga.swamper, I gotta stand my ground on this one.:)

Fisher doesn't even go to the Senior Bowl practices anymore. He says that he can barely watch prospects because he is swamped with guys looking for coaching jobs.

Our next HC does not have to be there. It would be nice to have an extra pair of eyes watching that talent, but it is not necessary.

bgarcia28 (1/16/2008)
Fisher doesn't even go to the Senior Bowl practices anymore. He says that he can barely watch prospects because he is swamped with guys looking for coaching jobs.

Our next HC does not have to be there. It would be nice to have an extra pair of eyes watching that talent, but it is not necessary.

Thanks for the post. Jeff Fisher is the most tenured coach in the NFL right now. In our case, we are pretty much rebuilding our team and our staff. Our head coach, staff and scouts need to be there all with an understanding of where the team is going and what type of players they are looking for.

I went to college in Mobile Alabama and worked at the Adams Mark Hotel during a few of the Senior Bowls while I was there.

It was neat to see all of the guys in suits waiting in the lobby to buck for jobs.

Some of the guys that I saw get mobbed in the lobby.

Mike Holmgren.

The original Jim Mora.

June Jones (only knew who he was because I am a Falcon Fan..... and he didn't really get mobbed.....:( )

Marv Levy.

There were other guys that were there getting mobbed, but I didn't know who they were on sight.

Coolest Adams Mark moment.

Helping carry up Joe Namath's luggage and then being pulled off to the side by Joe and getting sent for sandwiches and a few beers.

Dude tipped like a champ too.

I still have the ten spot that he gave me in a box with his sig on it.

This was mid 90's so I am a little amazed that the Hamilton made it through college. That was big time scratch back then. :P

I still say wait. We'll get the best guy when the time's right. Maybe the Senior Bowl is a good place to make sure your i(s) are dotted and t(s) are crossed. I also think that TD will wait for NE to finish before moving forward. I hope not because I too I'm tired of waiting, but I want us to make the right pick.

I totally disagree.

There's enough film on all of the players from their past games in order to make a judgment on if they can play ball or not. The Senior Bowl is just another live event that gives the scout another chance to watch the players play. I'm sure there have been scouts at plenty of regular season college football games.

Anyway, if the scouts and coaches wait until that one game to get their info, then they really suck at their job.

boss hogg (1/16/2008)

Your right we need a head coach before the bowl. Its huge. It would be a big mistake if we did not have a coach. A mistake we can not afford.

ga.swamper (1/16/2008)
boss hogg (1/16/2008)

I agree, but with one exception. I think our next coach will most likely be in Mobile, unless it's one of the staff members of a team that plays this weekend. And even then, if our next coach is off a losing team, there's a decent possibility that they will be in Mobile by the end of the week.

bgarcia28 (1/16/2008)

I agree. Besides the combine is where a staff actually begins to "grade" to the players in person.

Mobile is a three ring circus, other that the on field work the players get, little real evaluation gets done. Mostly because of the autograph hounds, memoribilia hawkers, guys looking for jobs, and women looking for a meal ticket, it's just an NFL PR convention.

boss hogg (1/16/2008)

Dimitroff said two days ago that the Head Coach being in place before the Senior Bowl was not critical.

Statick (1/17/2008)
I totally disagree.

There's enough film on all of the players from their past games in order to make a judgment on if they can play ball or not. The Senior Bowl is just another live event that gives the scout another chance to watch the players play. I'm sure there have been scouts at plenty of regular season college football games.

Anyway, if the scouts and coaches wait until that one game to get their info, then they really suck at their job.

Thanks for the reply Statick. But it sounds like, if it was up to you, the coaches, management and scouts may as well watch the game on NFL Network. Listen, there are things you can learn about a player that you don't see on a game film. Dimitroff is coming from New England where they pride themselves in picking a "certain type" of player. Whatever that type is, its different than most other teams because they win more than everyone else. You don't get INVITED to the Senior Bowl without being at the top of the college football class...we all know that. So with so many good football players to choose from, coaches and staffs go there talk to a kid, shake his hand, see what kind of personality he has as well as see how he performs among other really good players. They also spend this time to get to know each other better, discuss strategies and how they might use the guys that they are looking at. I think it would be a big mistake not to be there AS A STAFF with a common vision for where the team is going at this point for ATL.

Statick (1/17/2008)
I totally disagree.

Oh...I guarantee coaches didn't have a lot of film on Marques Colston from HOFSTRA (7th round #252 overall) a couple years ago when New Orleans drafted him or better yet our own Trey Lewis from Washburn (6th round #172 overall).

I believe it will be best if we take our time and get the right guy over someone that will leave before the season is over you cant expect this to happen in one night there are plenty of people scouting for us they can hire an extra guy if they really need to scout players at the bowl.

Its hard to turn your team around in one year it will be a long process dont expect to much next year.

Lets just get the right guy