Blank, McKay need to let new GM do his job

By Mark Bradley | Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 07:20 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mark Bradley Thomas Dimitroff trotted out a phrase that applies to the New England Patriots indisputable role understanding. Loose translation: Robert Kraft pays, Bill Belichick spies, Tom Brady throws. And Dimitroff, up until Saturday, did the college scouting. Now he s the general manager of a franchise where roles are less understandable.

I m very clear on the org [neo-speak for organizational ] chart, Dimitroff said Tuesday at a meet-and-greet with the Atlanta media. Rich McKay [once the GM, now just the president] has a wealth of knowledge, and I look forward to tapping into that. But I will have final say on the football side.

So, someone asked, does that mean the GM-since-Saturday will be hiring the next coach? Said Dimitroff: Along with Mr. Blank, yes.

Said Arthur Blank, seeking to clarify: He does have final say. At the end of the day, he and I will decide who the next coach will be.

So: Does that make the final say the semifinal say?

Give the Falcons credit for hiring their GM first and letting him have a voice in choosing the coach. Give them credit for finding a fresh face Dimitroff looks, it must be said, 20 years younger than his age, which is 41 who spent the past six years apprenticing in the NFL s finest, er, org. Heck, give them credit for conducting their initial interview via Webcam. Ask your children about it, Blank said. It works very well.

And say this for Dimitroff: He gives the impression of youth without seeming immature. He s clever and pleasant and enthusiastic. He prefers Thomas to Tom, perhaps because it sounds more distinguished. He has clear ideas about the draft pick for need above all and he doesn t appear fazed by a mission that might, to someone less bold, seem impossible.

To tell you the truth, I don t see this as a daunting task, he said. I think we can right this ship. If we put the right people and the right system in place, we can get this going the right way.

The concern isn t so much Dimitroff as a hire as the Falcons as a hierarchy. Blank is, as we know, among the most visible owners in sports and, final say or no, Dimitroff still must report to McKay. The new GM wants, as most new GMs want, to change the culture, but will a 41-year-old steeped not in office intrigue but in on-the-road scouting be able to budge Blank and McKay if they decide to act mulish?

To me as an owner, Blank said, there s a very bright line. And for this owner and for most owners, I don t want to cross that line. I ask simply that I be informed and be knowledgeable [about football affairs].

That s the ideal, sure. But is that the way it really works in Flowery Branch when, as Blank conceded, my passion sometimes overflows ?

The hope is that Blank (and McKay) are smart enough to defer to Dimitroff, who didn t come here because the Falcons are in tip-top shape. He s here because, as McKay noted Tuesday before ducking out, these have been the longest 14 months of anyone s life.

Blank can be an intimidating figure, especially if he s paying your salary. That said, Dimitroff can t be seen as just another employee. He ll require free rein. Even if he offends the folks who built the failed status quo, he has to do what needs doing, lop what needs lopping.

It would be unreasonable for Blank, who has invested much in this franchise, not to have final say on the next coach. Once that s done, the Falcons new general manager must be allowed to manage both generally and specifically, and the activist owner must be willing to sit back and own. Like those newfangled Webcams, that arrangement might work very well.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl..._mckay_nee.html

;)

Artie couldn't even keep his mouth shut while the PC was going on for the new GM. Why he felt the need to come to his GM's aid during the press conference is silly. If the GM is the final say on things then let him be the final say on his own PC's. We don't need to hear or see Blank anymore.

The new GM does get credit for one thing though right off the bat: Most unique hairstyle.

coryb78 (1/15/2008)
Artie couldn't even keep his mouth shut while the PC was going on for the new GM. Why he felt the need to come to his GM's aid during the press conference is silly. If the GM is the final say on things then let him be the final say on his own PC's. We don't need to hear or see Blank anymore.

The new GM does get credit for one thing though right off the bat: Most unique hairstyle.

Unfortunately he can't help himself. He just has to meddle. He's one of the main reasons we can't progress as an organization. Yes I know he owns the team, but he's doing his customers a disservice by holding back the product with his frequent bad decisions. Dimitroff may be another puppet for Blank to manipulate.

Someone who can spot some undiscovered talent is a tremendous benefit. Hopefully he will be able to do his job without interference. I predict the boards are going to have another 12 months of crying and whining before the talents he brings in mature. We do have a great opportunity to get 11 quality on each side of the ball with this GM. Good Luck, we're with you!:)

nativefalcon (1/15/2008)

By Mark Bradley | Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 07:20 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mark Bradley Thomas Dimitroff trotted out a phrase that applies to the New England Patriots indisputable role understanding. Loose translation: Robert Kraft pays, Bill Belichick spies, Tom Brady throws. And Dimitroff, up until Saturday, did the college scouting. Now he s the general manager of a franchise where roles are less understandable.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl..._mckay_nee.html

;)

Oh my god! somebody used the word "loose" correctly!!!