Garrett heads to the ATL

67camaro

GARRETT HAS LEFT THE BUILDING

Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2008, 5:58 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has left Baltimore without becoming the team s new head coach.

Per Schefter, the Ravens didn t want to let Garrett get away. He ll now head to Atlanta, where the Falcons will try to do to the Ravens on Garrett what the Dolphins did to the Falcons on Bill Parcells.

Meanwhile, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reportedly is ready to pay through the nose (or other orifice) to keep Garrett.

This one is suddenly getting very interesting. At least Cowboys fans now have a reason to eat some of that leftover popcorn.

Garrett will keep Ravens waiting

He leaves team's headquarters after second interview without accepting job

Jason Garrett left Ravens headquarters without accepting their head coaching offer but the Dallas offensive coordinator could return.

The Ravens and Garrett have been continuing to negotiate after he left today to go to the airport, where he is scheduled to be headed for a second visit with the Atlanta Falcons, a league source said.

Garrett, who has long been considered the Ravens' leading candidate, surprised the team when he left after a seven-hour visit. It is unknown what the Ravens offered, but first-year head coaches can make between $2 million and $2.5 million a season.

One league source said Garrett could be uncertain whether he is ready to become a head coach after just three years of coaching in the NFL. Another source speculated that Garrett could be headed to Atlanta to drive up the Ravens' offer.

"I'm going to continue through this process that I'm in right now," Garrett said. "At some point, we'll make some decisions on both sides."

The Ravens will continue with their second round of interviews but they won't meet with anyone Wednesday because general manager Ozzie Newsome will be watching college prospects practice for the East-West Shrine game.

By letting Garrett leave without a deal, the Ravens increased the possibility of him going elsewhere.

According to ESPN, Dallas owner Jerry Jones tried to keep Garrett from taking the Ravens' job with a counteroffer, which is said to match the Ravens' salary to remain the offensive coordinator in Dallas.

Now, there is a chance that Falcons owner Arthur Blank could try to jump on Garrett to revitalize a downtrodden franchise.

"We had a good day of interviews," Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne said. "It's the start of our second round. He's the first one in for the second round. We have more interviews in the second round coming up later in the week. And that's what we have to say right now."

The Ravens' next options could include Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh and veteran head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Harbaugh likely will interview for a second time this week and could do so as early as Thursday, a league source said.

The Ravens haven't contacted Schottenheimer for a second time yet, but he represents the safest choice available.

"There is a possibility," said Trace Armstrong, Schottenheimer's agent. "As Marty has said and I have said, it's about fit. He still has a passion for coaching and he's got top-notch assistants that expressed interest to be a part of any staff that he'll assemble. He's enjoying retirement, but if there's a place with the right fit, he definitely would be interested."

While Garrett spent his day with the Ravens, former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan interviewed for a second time yesterday morning in Atlanta. He returned to Baltimore and was at the team's headquarters at the same time as Garrett.

Hokies&Falcons (1/15/2008)
I worry about Garrett leaving us high and dry once the Cowboys dismiss Phillips, which may be in the not too distant future...

If he signs a contract as a HC for the Falgoons, then he couldn't leave unless his contract is up. It's a lateral move at that point.

PFT is a rumor site. Those people who understand that, usually find them to be ahead of most major newspapers and media outlets. Sure they aren't always correct or can be vague, but for a fan of the game who takes information everywhere they can get it... pft is a useful source.

They were 100% correct about the Vick fiasco, and some of you are still angry about it.

67camaro (1/15/2008)
Garrett will keep Ravens waiting

He leaves team's headquarters after second interview without accepting job

Jason Garrett left Ravens headquarters without accepting their head coaching offer but the Dallas offensive coordinator could return.

The Ravens and Garrett have been continuing to negotiate after he left today to go to the airport, where he is scheduled to be headed for a second visit with the Atlanta Falcons, a league source said.

Garrett, who has long been considered the Ravens' leading candidate, surprised the team when he left after a seven-hour visit. It is unknown what the Ravens offered, but first-year head coaches can make between $2 million and $2.5 million a season.

One league source said Garrett could be uncertain whether he is ready to become a head coach after just three years of coaching in the NFL. Another source speculated that Garrett could be headed to Atlanta to drive up the Ravens' offer.

"I'm going to continue through this process that I'm in right now," Garrett said. "At some point, we'll make some decisions on both sides."

The Ravens will continue with their second round of interviews but they won't meet with anyone Wednesday because general manager Ozzie Newsome will be watching college prospects practice for the East-West Shrine game.

By letting Garrett leave without a deal, the Ravens increased the possibility of him going elsewhere.

According to ESPN, Dallas owner Jerry Jones tried to keep Garrett from taking the Ravens' job with a counteroffer, which is said to match the Ravens' salary to remain the offensive coordinator in Dallas.

Now, there is a chance that Falcons owner Arthur Blank could try to jump on Garrett to revitalize a downtrodden franchise.

"We had a good day of interviews," Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne said. "It's the start of our second round. He's the first one in for the second round. We have more interviews in the second round coming up later in the week. And that's what we have to say right now."

The Ravens' next options could include Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh and veteran head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Harbaugh likely will interview for a second time this week and could do so as early as Thursday, a league source said.

The Ravens haven't contacted Schottenheimer for a second time yet, but he represents the safest choice available.

"There is a possibility," said Trace Armstrong, Schottenheimer's agent. "As Marty has said and I have said, it's about fit. He still has a passion for coaching and he's got top-notch assistants that expressed interest to be a part of any staff that he'll assemble. He's enjoying retirement, but if there's a place with the right fit, he definitely would be interested."

While Garrett spent his day with the Ravens, former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan interviewed for a second time yesterday morning in Atlanta. He returned to Baltimore and was at the team's headquarters at the same time as Garrett.

If Ryan is so great, why aren't the Ravens wanting him for their HC job...seems like they'd want him since he is with them already.

Corsair (1/15/2008)
PFT is a rumor site. Those people who understand that, usually find them to be ahead of most major newspapers and media outlets. Sure they aren't always correct or can be vague, but for a fan of the game who takes information everywhere they can get it... pft is a useful source.

They were 100% correct about the Vick fiasco, and some of you are still angry about it.

I was actually joking. I defend them all the time here, for what they are.

Corsair (1/15/2008)
Hokies&Falcons (1/15/2008)
I worry about Garrett leaving us high and dry once the Cowboys dismiss Phillips, which may be in the not too distant future...

If he signs a contract as a HC for the Falgoons, then he couldn't leave unless his contract is up. It's a lateral move at that point.

That's not exactly true. Believe it or not people do get out of contracts. We see it fairly often in the world of sports...

Suppose Garrett's heart is really in Dallas and the job comes open. Do you think that we'd just force him to stay here against his will, and make him honor that contract? There is usually some sort of buy out clause in those types of contracts...

67camaro (1/15/2008)

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has left Baltimore without becoming the team s new head coach.

Per Schefter, the Ravens didn t want to let Garrett get away. He ll now head to Atlanta, where the Falcons will try to do to the Ravens on Garrett what the Dolphins did to the Falcons on Bill Parcells.

Meanwhile, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reportedly is ready to pay through the nose (or other orifice) to keep Garrett.

This one is suddenly getting very interesting. At least Cowboys fans now have a reason to eat some of that leftover popcorn.

**** if the falcons offer him more money, also if you had your choice living wise? Freezing your azz off in Baltimore Or Mild winters and hot summers here, and close to good beaches. The choice would be easy to me. ;)

67camaro (1/15/2008)

Interesting. Schefter has been a reliable source over the last few days so I belie this story. Anyways I wonder if he is the right coach for ATL as the poster below has stated.

frankthetank966 (1/15/2008)
67camaro (1/15/2008)

Interesting. Schefter has been a reliable source over the last few days so I belie this story. Anyways I wonder if he is the right coach for ATL as the poster below has stated.

Schefter is usually right on the money.

I thought PFT.com had no clue what they're talking about? Most on here want to blast them for no reason yet they're right 90% of the time. If they're wrong they will post a retraction.

PFT.com is the best site for the NFL on the web. I thank Florio everyday for burning that low-life Vick and putting him where he belongs. It was all because of that site that the dog story didn't go away.

FireDawg85 (1/15/2008)
Twinblade (1/15/2008)
Whoever lands Garrett, pretty much deserves to lose period, overhyped Assclown.

Man you need to lay off the HATER-ADE. So You, a fan of the falcons, say if the falcons sign Garrett, the falcons "deserve" to lose? Wow you are a true class act

**** right we would deserve to lose if we get Garrett because Garrett did not prove a ##### thing to run a football team right now. 3 ##### years as a nfl coach and now all this ##### espn hype has got everybody "omg Jason Garrett, Have my babies!"

67camaro (1/15/2008)

Tell Jerry Jones to use his money on another face lift!:D

Twinblade (1/15/2008)
FireDawg85 (1/15/2008)
Twinblade (1/15/2008)
Whoever lands Garrett, pretty much deserves to lose period, overhyped Assclown.

Man you need to lay off the HATER-ADE. So You, a fan of the falcons, say if the falcons sign Garrett, the falcons "deserve" to lose? Wow you are a true class act

**** right we would deserve to lose if we get Garrett because Garrett did not prove a ##### thing to run a football team right now. 3 ##### years as a nfl coach and now all this ##### espn hype has got everybody "omg Jason Garrett, Have my babies!"

Well don't church it up.... Why don't you tell us how you really feel.