Dimitroff is a younger version of Tim Ruskell

falken

I know that many here have blasted Rich Mckay for some of his draft picks and free agent acquisitions. Tim Ruskell was Mckay's right hand man for many years and losing him was a blow to the structure of our scouting department. While Ruskell was in Tampa he began as a regional scout in 1987 before assuming the positions of director of college scouting (1992-2000) and later director of player personnel (2001-03). See the similarities?

IMO, the biggest reason the Falcons hired Petrino was because they were missing that key ingredient of college scouting. They needed the input on who to draft. Dimitroff will give the Falcons someone that can handle finding the right combined talent through the draft and free agency. He can compare both of these to formulate the right combinations so the talent can fit the need instead of just plugging holes or trying to make headlines with big free agent acquisitions.

Hiring Dimitroff (gotta love the initials T.D.) puts Mckays winnings ways back to work. Dimitroffs past success has earned him the opportunity here in Atlanta to call the shots on football decisions. These two guys need each other to be successful. Dimitroff would be in over his head without Mckay and vice versa. Evidently we are getting a very good talent evaluator without the experience of negotiating contracts and salary cap complications. This could very well be a perfect match on building a team for the long haul. You can't expect to be successful in acquiring talent with the owner, coaches and players making the personnel decisions.

I believe Ruskell left to get out of the shadow of Rich Mckay. He deserved an opportunity somewhere and Seattle was a good fit for him. Only time will tell but I think we found the right replacement with the right structure to gain some momentum and be successful. Credit needs to go to Blank and Mckay for finding the right combination. Finding the right coach to buy into this system will be key to our future. He's out there....bring him home T.D.

falken

Ken Radcliff (1/15/2008)
I know that many here have blasted Rich Mckay for some of his draft picks and free agent acquisitions. Tim Ruskell was Mckay's right hand man for many years and losing him was a blow to the structure of our scouting department. While Ruskell was in Tampa he began as a regional scout in 1987 before assuming the positions of director of college scouting (1992-2000) and later director of player personnel (2001-03). See the similarities?

IMO, the biggest reason the Falcons hired Petrino was because they were missing that key ingredient of college scouting. They needed the input on who to draft. Dimitroff will give the Falcons someone that can handle finding the right combined talent through the draft and free agency. He can compare both of these to formulate the right combinations so the talent can fit the need instead of just plugging holes or trying to make headlines with big free agent acquisitions.

Hiring Dimitroff (gotta love the initials T.D.) puts Mckays winnings ways back to work. Dimitroffs past success has earned him the opportunity here in Atlanta to call the shots on football decisions. These two guys need each other to be successful. Dimitroff would be in over his head without Mckay and vice versa. Evidently we are getting a very good talent evaluator without the experience of negotiating contracts and salary cap complications. This could very well be a perfect match on building a team for the long haul. You can't expect to be successful in acquiring talent with the owner, coaches and players making the personnel decisions.

I believe Ruskell left to get out of the shadow of Rich Mckay. He deserved an opportunity somewhere and Seattle was a good fit for him. Only time will tell but I think we found the right replacement with the right structure to gain some momentum and be successful. Credit needs to go to Blank and Mckay for finding the right combination. Finding the right coach to buy into this system will be key to our future. He's out there....bring him home T.D.

falken

Man I really hope you are right I just hope that Arthur Blank and Rich McKay step back, and let Tom Dimitroff do the job that he was hired to do. I hope that he isn't a guy that those 2 can bully around and tell what to do.

Man I really hope you are right I just hope that Arthur Blank and Rich McKay step back, and let Tom Dimitroff do the job that he was hired to do. I hope that he isn't a guy that those 2 can bully around and tell what to do.

I don't think that will be a problem. Let's face it, what Dimitroff does, he evidently does well. It's also evident that his expertise was a thing of 'need' for the falcons. He doesn't come with the experience needed to be the numbers guy that many choose for the G.M. role but he brings a lot to the table with his area of knowledge. A much needed area.

Kudos to Arthur for creating a way that these two guys can lean on each other.