MAYBE ITS JUST ME, BUT WATCHING THE VIDEO OF OUR NEW GM

ATLballer

we had like 6 people interview for the job.....hardly nobody wanting it.

pessimism on even the bright days in ATL...gotta love this fan base. Didnt you notice that Blank said EVERY GM candidate was thirlled to be able to work with McKay?

TD made it clear...he said I am the final word on football decisions. What more do you want?!?

sniffmyfinger (1/15/2008)
atlballer (1/15/2008)
I think we picked our GM solely on the fact if he gets along with McKay or not....This guy may be ready to lead a scouting department ...I dont know about being a GM....

I think we got kind of desperate .....Not many ppl wanted to take this job

Agree

ATLballer

Stupidity -- plain stupidity! Seems like the nay-sayers are all in a little world of their own on this one because the concensus seems to be that WE LIKE THE HIRE!

atlballer (1/15/2008)
I think we picked our GM solely on the fact if he gets along with McKay or not....This guy may be ready to lead a scouting department ...I dont know about being a GM....

ATLballer

Would you rather this guy be eloquent and perfectly well-spoken? Or would you rather him have 19 years of College and NFL talent evaluation under his belt, along with being mentored and taught by an almost flawless NFL coach and system in New England? Come ON, man! Don't get all hung up on the fact that he stumbled over his words with his thoughts a little. The guy obviously knows his crap to get this job! I don't think you can fiddle-fart your way into a General Manager job in the NFL. Just don't think it's possible.

sniffmyfinger (1/15/2008)
atlballer (1/15/2008)

Agree

ATLballer

if nobody wanted the job then why did they interview for it?

atlballer (1/15/2008)

ATLballer

I'm with you man...He seemed TOO EXCITED! Almost like he never really had a chance to ever be a NFL GM until we got him because he worked 'with' the Patriots...

1989fan (1/15/2008)

pessimism on even the bright days in ATL...gotta love this fan base. Didnt you notice that Blank said EVERY GM candidate was thirlled to be able to work with McKay?

TD made it clear...he said I am the final word on football decisions. What more do you want?!?

You have to understand the Fan base. They always expect the worse, so they can say "told you so". If it turns out good for the team, then they will jump on the bandwagon and act like they were onboard from the beginning. I like the idea of McKay still being involved with the Cap and negotiations. I think McKay's weak point was evaluating talent, and it sounds like this guy will handle that duty. Go Birds!

mcride (1/15/2008)
1989fan (1/15/2008)

You have to understand the Fan base. They always expect the worse, so they can say "told you so". If it turns out good for the team, then they will jump on the bandwagon and act like they were onboard from the beginning. I like the idea of McKay still being involved with the Cap and negotiations. I think McKay's weak point was evaluating talent, and it sounds like this guy will handle that duty. Go Birds!

Lets not put on the fan base.Its just some "the glass is half empty" jacko yelling look at me.

I haven't watched it yet, but I hate public speaking. Doesn't mean I'm not good at my job, I'd just rather go curl up under the bed & shake and cry than get up in front of a room full of people - especially people w/cameras who are then going to multiply the people in the room by 1000s. Maybe that's not his forte. It doesn't have to be, as far as I'm concerned. Just make good picks and get us headed in the right direction, and he'll earn my respect.

Honestly, I have yet to form a true opinion on him. I don't know how anyone could, unless they're a NE fan or someone who has firsthand knowledge of what he's specifically done for the team. Hel.l, I gave Petrino the benefit of a doubt, and was willing to give him the whole year. That's the LEAST I could do for this guy who seems to be one GIANT step in the right direction.

After watching the press conference I'm impressed with his vision and answers. I also noticed how he kept referring to the owner as Mr. Blank and to the President as Rich to me this speaks volumes. I don't think he is intimidated at all with McKay and I think Blank had to be crystal clear to him that he had the final say with all football decisions or I think he would have stayed in NE.

I thought he was very sure of himself and very driven on executing his plan. I think we made a very good hire.