ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Falcons are hosting Rex Ryan Monday night

atljbo

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Falcons are hosting Rex Ryan Monday night for a second interview regarding their head coaching vacancy.

The Falcons will join Baltimore in having Jason Garrett in for another visit, but Ryan is considered the clear frontrunner. He is meeting new Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff for the first time. Pasquarelli also says there is talk that Garrett could become the Ravens' head coach within the next 24 hours.

Somthing is telling me...he will be our head coach tomorrow and Thomas Dimitroff and Rex Ryan could be introduced together

Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is expected to be a finalist for the Falcons' head coaching job, according to the Carroll County Times.

We've heard this in multiple places despite Atlanta's hiring of GM Thomas Dimitroff over the weekend. It makes sense that Dimitroff might target one of his ex-co workers, but Ryan runs the 3-4 defense that Atlanta seems likely to favor now.

atljbo (1/15/2008)
Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is expected to be a finalist for the Falcons' head coaching job, according to the Carroll County Times.

We've heard this in multiple places despite Atlanta's hiring of GM Thomas Dimitroff over the weekend. It makes sense that Dimitroff might target one of his ex-co workers, but Ryan runs the 3-4 defense that Atlanta seems likely to favor now.

Wow. Going back to the old 3-4...

If that happens, then we'd better resign Demarrio Williams, he's a good fit for that type of defense.

Not sure why we'd "seem to favor" the 3-4 now, given that our defense is pretty much tailor made for a 4-3, but I like Rex Ryan, and if he's the guy, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound.

Hopefully we'll have enough flexibility in FA to make the 3-4 work. The good news is that our interior D-line problems can be fixed with a couple of players instead of 3 to 4 returning/new signings. Bad news is who plays OLB and can Abraham and Anderson be 3-4 DEs?

Welcome to Atlanta (1/15/2008)
Rex Ryan runs whatever his personnel is best fit to run. The Ravens run a lot of the 46 defense, too.

Yeah, and that's good to hear. My comment was directed more toward the notion in the article that Atlanta "seems to prefer the 3-4."

That's like saying we "seem to prefer the Cover 2." Never mind that our team isn't so much built for that base defense, dammit it's what we want! I certainly trust Ryan to get the best out of our personnel. He's always managed to in Baltimore.

JDaveG (1/15/2008)
Welcome to Atlanta (1/15/2008)
Rex Ryan runs whatever his personnel is best fit to run. The Ravens run a lot of the 46 defense, too.

Yeah, and that's good to hear. My comment was directed more toward the notion in the article that Atlanta "seems to prefer the 3-4."

That's like saying we "seem to prefer the Cover 2." Never mind that our team isn't so much built for that base defense, dammit it's what we want! I certainly trust Ryan to get the best out of our personnel. He's always managed to in Baltimore.

Someone brought up a good point...can Jamaal or Abe (if he wants to) play 3-4 DE?

I can't remember what problems Abe was having with that defense (or the coaching?) when he was a Jet, but he seemed to do well in it.

JDaveG (1/15/2008)
Not sure why we'd "seem to favor" the 3-4 now, given that our defense is pretty much tailor made for a 4-3, but I like Rex Ryan, and if he's the guy, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound.

Hopefully we'll have enough flexibility in FA to make the 3-4 work. The good news is that our interior D-line problems can be fixed with a couple of players instead of 3 to 4 returning/new signings. Bad news is who plays OLB and can Abraham and Anderson be 3-4 DEs?

As of now this is speculation. They are assuming we favor the 3-4 now because our new GM and the HC we are looking at both come from franchises that run the 3-4. Regarding our new GM, he was a talent scout, so I guess he's used to evaluating players that fit a 3-4 defense since he looked for players that fit the Pat's schemes, but I think saying we now favor the 3-4 is premature. Our personnel fit the 4-3, although Anderson is more of a 3-4 DE (290lbs). I guess Abraham would move back to LBer, our DE's would have to be Anderson and Coleman, but we'd have a GAPING hole at NT because we don't have anybody that fits the NT position for a 3-4.

Statick (1/15/2008)

Wow. Going back to the old 3-4...

If that happens, then we'd better resign Demarrio Williams, he's a good fit for that type of defense.

what?!?!?!

your kidding right?

Williams gets blown up at the point of attack. COuld you imagine his 220 lbs ##### trying to beat OTs all day? He cant even shed a TE block, let alone an OT every play.

Williams is gone no matter what D we play.

formul8or (1/15/2008)
I hope we keep the 4-3, if we don't you can kiss Abraham goodbye, he wanted to leave the Jets because he hates the 3-4.

H elft the Jets because they screwed him on a long term deal for 3 straight years. He was sick of the franchise tag, and wanted his payday w/ guaranteed money. The Jets asked him to meet goals, which he did TWO years in a row, and they backed out of their end of the deal....twice.

pzummo (1/15/2008)

As of now this is speculation. They are assuming we favor the 3-4 now because our new GM and the HC we are looking at both come from franchises that run the 3-4. Regarding our new GM, he was a talent scout, so I guess he's used to evaluating players that fit a 3-4 defense since he looked for players that fit the Pat's schemes, but I think saying we now favor the 3-4 is premature. Our personnel fit the 4-3, although Anderson is more of a 3-4 DE (290lbs). I guess Abraham would move back to LBer, our DE's would have to be Anderson and Coleman, but we'd have a GAPING hole at NT because we don't have anybody that fits the NT position for a 3-4.

Pzummo, it would seem buy looking on paper we dont have the NT talent, but I wouldnt be too sure. FIrst, Trey Lewis is big enough (320) and actuallly slimmed down in camps. He is very strong, and plays disciplined on taking on double teams. I think he could be a fine 3-4 DT.

ALso, DAL NTs average about 295-300 lbs each. They arent very big.

Ferguson is 305-310, Tank is 300 and thier starter Jay Ratcliff is 295 I think. You cant go by size as much as strength and ability to play the position. Casey Hampton is really no bigger than Lewis, and he is (IMO) the best 3-4 NT in the NFL.

Pzummo, it would seem buy looking on paper we dont have the NT talent, but I wouldnt be too sure. FIrst, Trey Lewis is big enough (320) and actuallly slimmed down in camps. He is very strong, and plays disciplined on taking on double teams. I think he could be a fine 3-4 DT.

ALso, DAL NTs average about 295-300 lbs each. They arent very big.

Ferguson is 305-310, Tank is 300 and thier starter Jay Ratcliff is 295 I think. You cant go by size as much as strength and ability to play the position. Casey Hampton is really no bigger than Lewis, and he is (IMO) the best 3-4 NT in the NFL.

Exactly right. It's less about how girthy the player is and more about how well the play the 2 gap system as oppossed to the 1 gap system. It's would be ideal that the player big big, but it's not a requirement.

It would take a good bit of adjustment to move to the 3-4, mainly because John Abraham would have to go. He might physically be a good fit for the 3-4, but I remember him being against the 3-4 defense.

I personally believe that Jamaal Anderson would be a great fit at 3-4 DE. He is a very big DE, and would only get stronger.

Where would this leave Michael Boley? Is he a 3-4 MLB? I remember Keith Brooking being agianst playing MLB in the 3-4, but seeing as he has adjusted to MLB in the 4-3, it could be different this time around.

I think people confuse the reason why Abraham left the NYJ. He was frustrated that they had franchised him in back-to-back seasons, not allowing him to get a long-term contract. He didn't really have any qualms about playing in the 3-4. As for Jamaal Anderson in the 3-4, that pretty much is tailor made for his strengths. He's stout against the run, which is the main job of a 3-4 DE. We'd have two very good OLBs in Boley and Abraham, but would need to look for at least two ILBs.