Jason Garrett

Don't all of you think that there is a reason as to why the Falcons and Ravens are both acting so quickly in setting up second interviews with Jason Garrett? It's because he is the most highly coveted coordinator in years.

First he's brilliant (Yale and Princeton), he's charismatic, every single person who's come across him during his interviews with each team has been very impressed. League executives drool over him. His father coached Princeton. His three brothers played. He's played in the league and vastly overachieved in order to be able to do that.

There's a reason everyone wants this guy around. If we can all accept (and we should), that we're not gonna be very good very soon and are in rebuilding mode (which we are, accept it), why go after an older established coach to rebuild a team not as good as the ones he coached instead of letting a coach grow with this team.

Sure, if we hired one of the older, more established coaches, may we be more successful next year than if we hired Garrett? Very possible. But they all have established ceilings as well.

David Ethan (1/14/2008)
Don't all of you think that there is a reason as to why the Falcons and Ravens are both acting so quickly in setting up second interviews with Jason Garrett? It's because he is the most highly coveted coordinator in years.

First he's brilliant (Yale and Princeton), he's charismatic, every single person who's come across him during his interviews with each team has been very impressed. League executives drool over him. His father coached Princeton. His three brothers played. He's played in the league and vastly overachieved in order to be able to do that.

There's a reason everyone wants this guy around. If we can all accept (and we should), that we're not gonna be very good very soon and are in rebuilding mode (which we are, accept it), why go after an older established coach to rebuild a team not as good as the ones he coached instead of letting a coach grow with this team.

Sure, if we hired one of the older, more established coaches, may we be more successful next year than if we hired Garrett? Very possible. But they all have established ceilings as well.

His play-calling in the 2nd half of the Giants game kinda sucked

jdc1963 (1/14/2008)
I posted in another Thread that I'm not sold on him and I'm not. However if he does come here I will support him. I just want the thing to be done so we can all focus and argue about the Draft.:P

Just like last preseason when there was a push to support Harrington. You can't support a situation just because it is...sometimes you have to show discontent, or else you may find yourself supporting failures (Harrington) and quitters (Petrino).

they are doing second interviews because if another team is giving a coaching candidate that they interviewed a look, he must be good, and neither want to miss out.

He's probably not even the best candidate out there and we're giving him a much closer look just because he's someone we interviewed that another NFL team seems to also be interested in. I bet if we interview another coach that they already interviewed, they'd be calling him back in for a second interview too.

It's like each team thinks they're missing out on something and trying to figure out what it is. They'll probably dupe each other into taking coaches neither team wants, but thinks if they don't take him, someone else will.

I really do hope we're smarter than that.

celtik

David Ethan (1/14/2008)

You're kidding right? This guy only has three (3) years of assistant experience--two with the Dolphins last year and one with Dallas this year. I cannot believe Arthur and his phonies are even considering this guy for a HC position with the amount of experience he lacks? If he was so coveted, why did Jerry Jones hire Wade Phillips over him? I'll tell you why, because he knew Garrett lacks the experience to run a football team. If we hire him, we'll be worst off than we were with Petrino and Mora IMO.

I don't know how good Garrett is. He has a lot of "steam" from the media, but I have no idea why people think that he is a future star HC. It is interesting that Parcells has not made a move to hire him. I would imagine that Parcells knows him well enough to not need an interview.

I still like the idea of hiring Spags or Schwartz. I don't know why, it is just a feeling I get. I have been wrong before, so my opinion is not worth much.

We have the GM that I wanted, so I'll be patient and trust his choice.

David Ethan (1/14/2008)
bigduke633 (1/14/2008)
Yale and princeton?We dont need a lawyer.We got mckay......He has been a oc 1 year.Easy with the brilliant stuff.There are more qualified out there.

more qualified does not mean better

I agree with you. And he's been #1 to me from the start. Not sure I'm right but I like him. If we were picking players in the Draft , I'd be more sure , But this being a HC I may miss on this .

bgarcia28 (1/14/2008)
I don't know how good Garrett is. He has a lot of "steam" from the media, but I have no idea why people think that he is a future star HC. It is interesting that Parcells has not made a move to hire him. I would imagine that Parcells knows him well enough to not need an interview.

I still like the idea of hiring Spags or Schwartz. I don't know why, it is just a feeling I get. I have been wrong before, so my opinion is not worth much.

We have the GM that I wanted, so I'll be patient and trust his choice.

Well, you imagine incorrectly. Parcells has nothing to do with Garrett, he's never coached him or with him. Jerry did want to hire him as HC, but thought it better to wait a year or two.

Remember Mike Tomlin everyone? He only had one year of coordinator experience.

Draftnut57 (1/14/2008)
David Ethan (1/14/2008)
bigduke633 (1/14/2008)
Yale and princeton?We dont need a lawyer.We got mckay......He has been a oc 1 year.Easy with the brilliant stuff.There are more qualified out there.

We have had 2 rookie coaches in a row.Now we have a rookie gm.I like the gm and heck I like garret but we need a salty dog with all these new faces.Billick would be a nice start.He could pull a experienced staff.

more qualified does not mean better

I agree with you. And he's been #1 to me from the start. Not sure I'm right but I like him. If we were picking players in the Draft , I'd be more sure , But this being a HC I may miss on this .