What happened to Mike Singletary?

Brooklyn Falcon (1/14/2008)
Does anybody have any speculation or scoop on Singletary? What dirt do the teams hiring HCs have on him? I'm baffled by the sudden disappearance of his name as a candidate. I haven't seen any answer in these boards. Any thoughts or knowledge?

Maybe he is just a boob, I mean he looks the look, but maybe isn't savy enough-----we just assume he is qualified. Maybe he is a mess when you talk to him.

It has to be something like that, or maybe everyone wants to pick from the higher caliber playoff teams

Who knows

I heard the word is that Mike hasn't paid his dues yet in the view of insiders, having only been coaching for 5 years and never having been an OC or DC. The word also is that he will be a HC sooner rather than later, just not in '08 and not in Atlanta. Everybody knows that Blank was very impressed with Singletary when he interviewed him and before he (bLANK), bent to McKay's wishes for Pigtrino.

I think it's most unfortunate if he's not on Dimitroff's short list, as I truly believe Mike will become an excellent HC for somebody. That's just what I believe and will continue to believe, so don't anyone waste their time flaming me.:P

Superfan "! (1/14/2008)
I heard the word is that Mike hasn't paid his dues yet in the view of insiders, having only been coaching for 5 years and never having been an OC or DC. The word also is that he will be a HC sooner rather than later, just not in '08 and not in Atlanta. Everybody knows that Blank was very impressed with Singletary when he interviewed him and before he (bLANK), bent to McKay's wishes for Pigtrino.

I think it's most unfortunate if he's not on Dimitroff's short list, as I truly believe Mike will become an excellent HC for somebody. That's just what I believe and will continue to believe, so don't anyone waste their time flaming me.:P

But yet, espn and some idiots that think Garrett is ready to be a nfl head coach, isn't this ##### funny.

Superfan "! (1/14/2008)
bigduke633 (1/14/2008)
Maye he should be a defensive coordinator so we learn a little more about his football knowledge and not so much rahrah.

Well, I'll bet you a dollar against a doughnut that a few years from now we'll be saying, "****! We could've had Singletary!"

I think we need a experienced coach.Singletary?Good guy but needs some time.

Of course I have no inside information or anything, But the fact alone that Baltimore Ravens haven't even mentioned his name or thought about approaching him for HC job should tell you something. He was a Coach with them before and they wont even look his way.

Interesting question.

As a player, his fierce hits and tackles, intelligence, leadership and passion were awesome. You don't get elected to the HOF without these abilities.

As a coaching candidate, I'd speculate that he may be perceived as not having enough years of success in the coaching ranks. Unfortunately for Mike, San Francisco was ranked #25 in overall Defense in the NFL last season (our Falcons were #28). I recognize that this was not solely Mike's fault, but he was on the staff responsible for the defense.

Brooklyn Falcon (1/14/2008)
Does anybody have any speculation or scoop on Singletary? What dirt do the teams hiring HCs have on him? I'm baffled by the sudden disappearance of his name as a candidate. I haven't seen any answer in these boards. Any thoughts or knowledge?
Have you not been reading?

Singletary wasn't even considered by his own team (the 9ers) to be ready to become their DC this past season. He was skipped over for that role and they brought in a LB coach from another team.

Then apparently his HC interview circuit last year was actually so unimpressive that no team with a HC vacancy this year even contacted the 9ers for permission to speak with him. And that includes us, and we had interviewed him, and apparently we lied about how impressed we were, along with everyone else.

AkCraigg (1/15/2008)
We were only impressed to get the NFL off our back about interviewing minority coaches. Other than that he was useless to this franchise. Next.
If thats the only reason we interviewed him then thats a bunch of BS. If the the last two clowns were worhty of being hired then surely mike should be given a chance. Next, to the next clown hire.

bamabirdsince99 (1/15/2008)
AkCraigg (1/15/2008)
We were only impressed to get the NFL off our back about interviewing minority coaches. Other than that he was useless to this franchise. Next.
If thats the only reason we interviewed him then thats a bunch of BS. If the the last two clowns were worhty of being hired then surely mike should be given a chance. Next, to the next clown hire.

You didn't know that some still have that mentality?

The_ ATL (1/15/2008)
Unlike the fans I guess the owners know he isnt HC material.

But wait! He has a mean look he must be good! Some of you people.....

Yeah, because the owners always make great hires for their HC positions....Pus-trino, Spurrier, Cameron, Saban, Callahan....etc...etc.....:Whistling:

Just because some of you thinks he will be a good head coach in the future does not mean he is ready now. Belicheck is the best head coach in the game today, but if he would have got a head coach job in the 1980's when he had limited experience he likely would have been a huge failure (I don't think he did that bad in Cleveland). Singletary is likely still 2-3 years away from getting a shot; and at least 1-2 of those years he must be a defensive coordinator.

gritblitzer (1/15/2008)
The_ ATL (1/15/2008)
Unlike the fans I guess the owners know he isnt HC material.

But wait! He has a mean look he must be good! Some of you people.....

Yeah, because the owners always make great hires for their HC positions....Pus-trino, Spurrier, Cameron, Saban, Callahan....etc...etc.....:Whistling:

Cowher, Holmgren, Gruden, Dungy, Reid, Bellecheck (SP). What's your point?