WHAT'S WRONG WITH D.J.?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bigpoon (1/14/2008)
just great!!! another rebell in disguise>................

Another Rebel? As in Confederate? Wow man, are you serious? I know that I have changed my username and all, but I was known for convos based upon racial disparities. I hadn't posted since May sometime and to tell the truth, my bad feelings were the opposite end of what you're thinking. The "red flag" between Petrino and Hall was in the sense that I had never seen DHall (my wife's fave Falcon) go off like that on a coach. It told me that Petrino may be a serious jerk. As for Vick, I worried that coming to the ATL may cause PR problems and have a polarizing result. As for DJ, I hope that he makes a comeback, but being that he was taken in the seventh round (which I almost busted my but over with loud resounding cheers) will not be given an opportunity now with his injury.

I hope that we get an OL in the 1st, maybe a DL or another OL in the second hope that Dixon is available in the 3rd...so on and so forth.

Race doesn't play a negative role with me.

bigpoon (1/13/2008)
he just haven't had a decent chance to win a starting or 2nd string shot yet.remember he was behind shaub last year,hurt this year,we just(as pro-game watchers)see him alot as a falcon...

For all you Shockley fans who says "he should be our starter", I've just got one question as to why ------ What has he done to deserve starting for an NFL franchise?

Sqwirl (1/13/2008)
Redman, Leftwich, nor "Joey College" are the answer, so why not let DJ have his shot????

What makes you feel that Redman is not the answer? He was a much better college QB than DJ. He was starter for the Ravens prior to hurting his shoulder. Since his come back, he has played very well for the Falcons. He had a bad game vs Tampa, after being pounded behind a weak OLine. He played very well vs Phoenix. (I was at the game) Redman led a comeback, took the lead, but our defense could not hold off Phoenix. Phoenix tied the game with less than 1 minute on the clock and won it in overtime. Against Seattle, Redman threw for 4 touchdowns against Seattle's starting defense. That's right, Seattle's starting defense...I watched the game. Seattle played their starters for the full game. Redman won Player of the Week for the NFL. So....How can you say that Redman is not the answer and DJ is?

FalconHEAT (1/13/2008)
Wow...just what we needed, another Shockley thread. New GM hired, plenty of speculation about the Head Coach, arguably the most important draft in franchise history coming up, and what do the Falcons fans wanna talk about?

They want to talk about our third string QB who probably would've been cut if he wasn't on IR. :rolleyes:

Maybe DJ will be a great QB someday, but right now...there's really nothing to discuss.

Amen.

Too bad for Shockley, but he won't be in top form next year to win the starting job. If he was at the top of his game, then he might have a chance. But coming off a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL, he won't be able to move like he could before his injury. Look at McNabb and Culpepper who both had knee injuries. Neither of them can run now like they used too, and it DOES hurt their game. They both have good arms, maybe even great arms, but without the mobility which they used to have, they are not as good as they were before.

If a QB that is not known for mobility hurts his knee, it probably is not as difficult to come back from the injury. a dropback passer like Carson Palmer. They never had much mobility to begin with, so it's not like they lost a lot. But a QB that could run when necessary, and uses their mobility to buy time and find open receivers or even run for a 1st down ... he is going to be missing a major part of his game and it will show.

So my prediction is that Shockley won't be fully recovered in training camp and he will end up getting cut. Redman will stay on as the lone QB holdover from the putrid 2007 season, and we will also sign a free agent QB, and probably draft one in the first 3 rounds too.

snicker (1/14/2008)
Too bad for Shockley, but he won't be in top form next year to win the starting job. If he was at the top of his game, then he might have a chance. But coming off a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL, he won't be able to move like he could before his injury. Look at McNabb and Culpepper who both had knee injuries. Neither of them can run now like they used too, and it DOES hurt their game. They both have good arms, maybe even great arms, but without the mobility which they used to have, they are not as good as they were before.

If a QB that is not known for mobility hurts his knee, it probably is not as difficult to come back from the injury. a dropback passer like Carson Palmer. They never had much mobility to begin with, so it's not like they lost a lot. But a QB that could run when necessary, and uses their mobility to buy time and find open receivers or even run for a 1st down ... he is going to be missing a major part of his game and it will show.

You don't give the guy enuff credit. I'm sure he'll just work on other areas of his game.

So my prediction is that Shockley won't be fully recovered in training camp and he will end up getting cut. Redman will stay on as the lone QB holdover from the putrid 2007 season, and we will also sign a free agent QB, and probably draft one in the first 3 rounds too.

You don't give the guy enuff credit. I'm sure he'll just work on other areas of his game.

"Look at McNabb and Culpepper who both had knee injuries. Neither of them can run now like they used too, and it DOES hurt their game. "

What "hurt" their game was not having T.O. or Rany Moss (respectively) anymore. Look what T.O. did for Romo......and Moss for Brady. Put good players around a Qb and everything else will take care of itself.

DJ Shockley is a diamond in the ruff, a QB that came to this team and said publicly when drafted that this was a dream come true to play for the Atlanta Falcons, the team he has ALWAYS wanted to play for in the NFL.

Say what you want and speculate all you wish, DJ Shockley deserves a shot at QB for the Falcons, I dunno what that might be 1st/2nd/3rd string but he deserves a shot, only reason I say that is I don't know who the new coaches will be or do at QB. If for no other reason DJ Shockley should get a chance at QB because he has had to learn two different types of offenses from two different coaches, one coach if you can call him that "Bobby Petrino" didn't really give anybody a chance to do anything, yeah DJ was hurt but that could be attributed to several other reason that really don't have nothing to do with DJ, players he was set with, coaching calls etc... Ok I want say anymore on BP but it should be mentioned when discussing any player on the Falcons team.

Besides I love it when DJ comes into a game at the Georgia Dome and us UGA Fans start doing the UGA Bark!

If we get the O-line fixed in the offseason I think Redman, Byron, Joey, and DJ should all get a shot at QB. The difference with Redman is he basically came in when we had a real HEAD COACH coaching the team "Emmitt Thomas", I can't fault Joey or Byron for Bobby Petrino's stupidity.

AkCraigg (1/14/2008)
Football is a business. There is no place for hometown heroes. I don't care if he had cancer and he only wanted to start one time for the Falcons. He is not professional material. Hopefully he will be cut this off-season and it will finally shut ya'll up.

Amen....

Truth is....He would have been cut last season if he had not been hurt. He has been in the NFL for 2 years. His first year, he was 3rd string...His second year, he stunk up the preseason with the exception of the game he was hurt....that game, him being from UGA, and his injury is what saved him from being cut. He will be lucky to make the team next season.

Redman needs to start. Harrington should be the back up, and a rookie or DJ should start the season as 3rd string....and if DJ gets cut, then all of you just need to shut up. Many of you would not be chanting for DJ if he was a white boy!!! Many others would not be chanting for you him if he was not from UGA!!! This just shows complete ignorance by those few.

AkCraigg (1/14/2008)
Football is a business. There is no place for hometown heroes. I don't care if he had cancer and he only wanted to start one time for the Falcons. He is not professional material. Hopefully he will be cut this off-season and it will finally shut ya'll up.

look who is talking. and hometown heroes work all the time. tuggle, brooking are 2 for the falcons. dude just shut up, because you make newbies look bad.

rodney51 (1/14/2008)
AkCraigg (1/14/2008)

Amen....

Truth is....He would have been cut last season if he had not been hurt. He has been in the NFL for 2 years. His first year, he was 3rd string...His second year, he stunk up the preseason with the exception of the game he was hurt....that game, him being from UGA, and his injury is what saved him from being cut. He will be lucky to make the team next season.

Redman needs to start. Harrington should be the back up, and a rookie or DJ should start the season as 3rd string....and if DJ gets cut, then all of you just need to shut up. Many of you would not be chanting for DJ if he was a white boy!!! Many others would not be chanting for you him if he was not from UGA!!! This just shows complete ignorance by those few.

NOW YOU BRING RACE?!?!?! what is wrong with you people. cant go a thread without saying some1 is black or white. Shockley is Shockley.

rodney51 (1/14/2008)
AkCraigg (1/14/2008)

Amen....

There were a LOT of people chanting for untested Schaub...;)

AkCraigg (1/14/2008)

Did I say that him being a Hometown Hero was the only reason? No I did not, as far as Hometown Heroes go given the fact the Georgia Dome has been dang near empty in '07 just to keep this franchise going in Atlanta "We need all the HOMETOWN HEROES WE CAN GET".

So I guess you are saying once a player decides Atlanta is their home and becomes popular we don't need them anymore? Or are you saying just because they were born in Georgia they aren't good enough to play for the Falcons?

You said "He is not professional material" : If you are gonna make those statements show some stats and proof as to why he is not? Less see, show me some of his playing time the last two years? Show me how many hours he's spent in the film room, show me some stats of how much rehab he has done lately, I can go on and on and on. Bottom line, you will show "NOTHING" that is RELEVANT to him BEING a PROFFESIONAL NFL QB based on the last 2 years except a few preseason stats that don't mean nothing.

Just wondering who are you calling "ya'll" also? Are you saying anyone that does'nt agree with your be all end all reddorick?

DJ IS THE FUTURE!!!!!! If he gets the "Opportunity"!

freeze1st (1/14/2008)
AkCraigg (1/14/2008)
Football is a business. There is no place for hometown heroes. I don't care if he had cancer and he only wanted to start one time for the Falcons. He is not professional material. Hopefully he will be cut this off-season and it will finally shut ya'll up.[/quote

Did I say that him being a Hometown Hero was the only reason? No I did not, as far as Hometown Heroes go given the fact the Georgia Dome has been dang near empty in '07 just to keep this franchise going in Atlanta "We need all the HOMETOWN HEROES WE CAN GET".

So I guess you are saying once a player decides Atlanta is their home and becomes popular we don't need them anymore? Or are you saying just because they were born in Georgia they aren't good enough to play for the Falcons?

You said "He is not professional material" : If you are gonna make those statements show some stats and proof as to why he is not? Less see, show me some of his playing time the last two years? Show me how many hours he's spent in the film room, show me some stats of how much rehab he has done lately, I can go on and on and on. Bottom line, you will show "NOTHING" that is RELEVANT to him BEING a PROFFESIONAL NFL QB based on the last 2 years except a few preseason stats that don't mean nothing.

Tell um freeze1st. Being a hometown hero causes some to hate.

so what's this i read about,a hometown hereo.dude,it doesn't matter where he's from,i know if given a chance your redman will be backing D.J. up.enuff is enuff,when will ya'll realize this world suppose to be intergrated races .if we all we one color wouldn't you get bore of seeing you alot.this is the thing that racist people are either to dumb to see or just plain ignorant to accept...

It's amazing how so many people say DJ shouldn't get a chance and haven't seen him really have a chance to play in a while now.

Yeah, I know he's been injured, but if you use that philosophy toward getting rid of players I will point out an example of a hurt player "Adrian Peterson" right before the draft, look how he's turned out for the Vikings. They took a chance and give him an opportunity, that's all I am saying for DJ Shockley is "GIVE THE MAN AN OPPORTUNITY", it may work out and it may not, but he deserves a second look and an opportunity. That's all I am saying.