2 reasons why the Falcons would be crazy to pass on Jake Long

halsey

1. Top LT's are hard to find without drafting them. All 6 of this year's Pro Bowl tackles are with thier original team. When guys like Walter Jones or Orlando Pace even come close to being free agents thier team's just franchise them.

2. Say what you want about Big 10 players, but Michigan has always been a very successful with putting guys in the NFL who have good careers. The Falcons experienced that when they drafted Mike Kenn in the first round. Michigan alums in the NFL right now include Tom Brady, Charles Woodson, Steve Hutchinson, Jon Runyan, Jeff Backus, Jon Jansen, Cato June, Braylon Edwards, Marlin Jackson, Larry Foote, Ian Gold, Amani Toomer, Ty Law, Todd Collins and Dhani Jones.

3. He's the kind of polished, NFL ready player the Falcons need who can come right in, start from game one and help provide a steadying influence to the franchise.

The thing is, there is so much OT talent available at the top of the second round. Where DT thins out superbad after dorsey and ellis. For that reason I would take Ellis (who is my favorite prospect int he draft) over long cause we can get comparable talent later on. Also I think he will make a great RT, while only and average to good LT.

bam_19 (1/13/2008)
The thing is, there is so much OT talent available at the top of the second round. Where DT thins out superbad after dorsey and ellis. For that reason I would take Ellis (who is my favorite prospect int he draft) over long cause we can get comparable talent later on. Also I think he will make a great RT, while only and average to good LT.

A very valid point.

The DT position does thin out way before the OT does. I don`t mind getting Long, only if Ellis is gone. I just forgot to state that in my prior post.

bam_19 (1/13/2008)

Comparing Jake Long to Sam Baker or Chris Williamson is not that far of a stretch but comparing Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis to Frank Okam or Joseph Brant is a VERY BIG STRETCH. Especially Dorsey being in the SEC and being the leader of the LSU Tiger defense.

People always argue about how deep positions are. In some cases depth matters when picking high, but not with premium positions like QB, LT, DT, pass rushers and CB. You don't pass up a chance to take a potential franchise LT because you think a guy in the second round is going to be pretty good. You certain;y don't do that with QB. The difference between a great QB and a pretty good QB can be the differnce in making a Super Bowl and watching one.

halsey (1/13/2008)
1. Top LT's are hard to find without drafting them. All 6 of this year's Pro Bowl tackles are with thier original team. When guys like Walter Jones or Orlando Pace even come close to being free agents thier team's just franchise them.

2. Say what you want about Big 10 players, but Michigan has always been a very successful with putting guys in the NFL who have good careers. The Falcons experienced that when they drafted Mike Kenn in the first round. Michigan alums in the NFL right now include Tom Brady, Charles Woodson, Steve Hutchinson, Jon Runyan, Jeff Backus, Jon Jansen, Cato June, Braylon Edwards, Marlin Jackson, Larry Foote, Ian Gold, Amani Toomer, Ty Law, Todd Collins and Dhani Jones.

3. He's the kind of polished, NFL ready player the Falcons need who can come right in, start from game one and help provide a steadying influence to the franchise.

#4...The kid is a monster!!!

grendel (1/13/2008)
#1 doesn't apply to Long

#3 only applies if you put him at RT, in which case, why are you taking him in the top 5?

exactly. he might be a pro bowl RT (not to mention none of those players he listed along the OL are stud LTs, they are OGs or RTs) but i just dont think he will make it as a LT. i have him off the board before we have a shot at him anyways though, so i dont think it will be a huge issue.

id rather get ryan clady a little later in the top 10. id prefer not to spend a top 3-5 pick on a guy who looks like a stud RT and a good LT.

All this talk of Long being a RT is the pros is bologna. He's looked dominant at LT when i've watched him and ALMOST EVERYONE that i've read grades him as a top 5 pick in the draft and a potential franchise LT. All this 'he's an RT' stuff came from one website and people have been echoing that one site over and over.

And all this talk of him having trouble with speed rushers came from the game vs Ohio State in which Vernon Gholston had 3 sacks. Well, first of all, i've read that he only had one came vs Long(the only sack of the year that Long gave up supposedly). Also, that one sack didn't happen because Gholston ran by him. He actually got low and went inside when Long expected him to go inside, as this video shows:

halsey (1/14/2008)
All this talk of Long being a RT is the pros is bologna. He's looked dominant at LT when i've watched him and ALMOST EVERYONE that i've read grades him as a top 5 pick in the draft and a potential franchise LT. All this 'he's an RT' stuff came from one website and people have been echoing that one site over and over.

wrong. Wanna give me a link to that website? I'd love to see what they have to say.

I live in Minnesota and I bet I've watched more of Jake Long than you have. But even if that wasn't true I watched him give up 14 hurries to the likes of Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio State (that is total, not in each game). The only prospect that he faced that will be drafted this year is Vernon Gholston, who got a sack off of him. He struggles with speed rushers, and his physical tools make him a perfect fit for the RT position. He wouldnt have to face the edge rushers that he has problems with and he would be able to dominate his man in the running game. Now, he could still do that as a LT, but I really think he would be eaten alive against speed rushers like Dwight Freeney, John Abraham etc. He struggles with players that I can't even name from Wisconsin and Illinois, yet we should select him in the top 5.

And as far as everyone ranking him and saying he will be a franchise LT and top 5 pick. You want another Big Ten guy that was supposed to be a franchise LT, everyone was sold on him and was a "consensus" franchise LT?

How about Robert Gallery.

So, instead of telling me and other people that share the same opinion that I do that I'm just echoing a website, why don't you do a little more research and see if you can come to the same conclusion as I have. From the sounds of it, you are just going with the crowd which is saying that he will be a franchise LT. Instead of just saying "everyone else thinks he will be a great LT" why don't you actually tell me why he is.

Mr. Offseason (1/14/2008)
halsey (1/14/2008)

wrong. Wanna give me a link to that website? I'd love to see what they have to say.

I live in Minnesota and I bet I've watched more of Jake Long than you have. But even if that wasn't true I watched him give up 14 hurries to the likes of Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio State (that is total, not in each game). The only prospect that he faced that will be drafted this year is Vernon Gholston, who got a sack off of him. He struggles with speed rushers, and his physical tools make him a perfect fit for the RT position. He wouldnt have to face the edge rushers that he has problems with and he would be able to dominate his man in the running game. Now, he could still do that as a LT, but I really think he would be eaten alive against speed rushers like Dwight Freeney, John Abraham etc. He struggles with players that I can't even name from Wisconsin and Illinois, yet we should select him in the top 5.

And as far as everyone ranking him and saying he will be a franchise LT and top 5 pick. You want another Big Ten guy that was supposed to be a franchise LT, everyone was sold on him and was a "consensus" franchise LT?

So, instead of telling me and other people that share the same opinion that I do that I'm just echoing a website, why don't you do a little more research and see if you can come to the same conclusion as I have. From the sounds of it, you are just going with the crowd which is saying that he will be a franchise LT. Instead of just saying "everyone else thinks he will be a great LT" why don't you actually tell me why he is.

I really don't care where yo live or how much you've watched him. I trust guys who scout for a living over you and they almost all rate Long as a top 5 pick. You can throw out names like Robery Gallery in a lame attempt to compare 2 differnent players all you want. I can do that with any player. You name any prospect in the upcoming draft and I can name a bust from the past to compare him to. The fact is Long is a top LT prospect who comes from a school with a rich tradition of putting good lineman in the NFL.

Mr. Offseason (1/14/2008)wrong. Wanna give me a link to that website? I'd love to see what they have to say.

Halsey, you just got owned.

If the falcons were smart they would try too draft Vernon Gholston in the first round.That way they can play both 3-4 and 4-3 scheme.Plus I watched college football this year and I only seen 2 real top 5 player in this years draft.You know a game changer or freakish type of player.Thats Vernon and Mcfadden, but I think Mcfadden has character issues so I am backing away from him.Vernon 6'4 265 lb's 4.5 speed and 500 pound bencher and can play weak outside linebacker in a 4-3.His a matchup problem in a 4-3 outside linebacker on a blitz and can releave Anderson on third down for pass rushing situation at the DE position too.Gholston,a freakish type of player.Jake Long ,I like him but to me his not a top five pick,guy like Alex Boone and Sam Baker are just as good and are second round pick.Plus Gholston destroyed J.Long every time he went against him.Plus, have you guys seen free agencies there tons of young pro bowl offensive linemen on the market.And at running back it so much talent in the draft you dont have too go first there.The QB's in this draft are not worth a first round pick.

VERNON GHOLSTON THE PICK BRING HIM MCKAY/DOR

Jake Long

T, Michigan

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is massive. Shows rare strength, competitiveness and aggressiveness. When using hand punch aggressively, can jolt defensive ends backward. Does a good job of pass blocking with leverage, and adjusts well in tight spaces. Works well with others to negate line stunts and blitzes. Is an excellent down blocker, driving defensive linemen down the line. Reaches head-up defensive ends quickly, and shows the strength to turn them out of plays.

Weaknesses: Is somewhat of a 'tweener -- has the height and build of a tackle but the athleticism and quickness of a guard. Lacks the quickness to slide outside to protect the corner from explosive edge pass rushers. Struggles to adjust to double moves. Does not consistently use his hands well in pass protection, leaving his chest exposed. Tends to stop moving his feet after initial contact in pass protection, and thus gets beaten by secondary pass-rush moves. On in-line run blocks, tends to bend at waist and lean to maintain blocks.

Bottom line: Long is one of the most hyped prospects in years, and he almost entered the '07 draft before wisely going back to Michigan for his senior season. He lacks the ideal athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL, but there are many left tackles starting in the NFL with his level of athleticism. Long certainly will be drafted much higher than we have him rated because NFL coaches tend to fall in love with tough, smart linemen. Still, he is not an elite prospect.

defensedefensedefense (1/14/2008)
Jake Long

T, Michigan

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is massive. Shows rare strength, competitiveness and aggressiveness. When using hand punch aggressively, can jolt defensive ends backward. Does a good job of pass blocking with leverage, and adjusts well in tight spaces. Works well with others to negate line stunts and blitzes. Is an excellent down blocker, driving defensive linemen down the line. Reaches head-up defensive ends quickly, and shows the strength to turn them out of plays.

Weaknesses: Is somewhat of a 'tweener -- has the height and build of a tackle but the athleticism and quickness of a guard. Lacks the quickness to slide outside to protect the corner from explosive edge pass rushers. Struggles to adjust to double moves. Does not consistently use his hands well in pass protection, leaving his chest exposed. Tends to stop moving his feet after initial contact in pass protection, and thus gets beaten by secondary pass-rush moves. On in-line run blocks, tends to bend at waist and lean to maintain blocks.

Bottom line: Long is one of the most hyped prospects in years, and he almost entered the '07 draft before wisely going back to Michigan for his senior season. He lacks the ideal athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL, but there are many left tackles starting in the NFL with his level of athleticism. Long certainly will be drafted much higher than we have him rated because NFL coaches tend to fall in love with tough, smart linemen. Still, he is not an elite prospect.

I'm gonna trust the vast majority of analysts and my eyes over the one scouting report that so many of you are clinging to. I don't see any reason to trust the Sporting News' draft analysts over everyone else, sorry.

Position: OL

School & Year/Status: Michigan - Senior

Height & Weight: 6'7 - 315 lbs.

Ranked #3 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report

Jake Long of Michigan, despite a poor showing in the season finale against Ohio State, is without a doubt the top offensive lineman in this year's draft. Long is the centerpiece of an offensive line that has led Michigan to a 164.9 yard a game rushing average as a team. Besides being an absolutely mammoth tackle at 6'7" and 315lbs., Long possesses elite speed and footwork for an offensive lineman. The Michigan O-line has allowed just 28 sacks under his leadership in 13 games this season, even though their quarterbacks are not exactly fleet of foot. According to ESPN, Long himself was only beaten for a sack once this season, by Vernon Gholston of Ohio State. Jake Long is probably best known for his excellent pass blocking, but don't mistake Long for a finesse tackle. As good as people believe he is, his run blocking may still be underrated. He blocks with a real mean streak. Long does a terrific job of taking on (and running over) a D-lineman and moving into the next level to flatten a linebacker as well. Michigan is averaging 4.0 yards per carry this season and tends to find those tough yards behind Long on the left side. This 2 time All Big Ten performer is experienced on both the left and right side of the line, making a versatile option for an NFL team. Jake Long's years of experience blocking top notch Big Ten ends will serve him well in his professional career. Long should find himself a new home no later than the fifth pick of this year's draft.

There will be another elite tackle labeled with the can t miss tag for the 2008 NFL Draft, Jake Long from Michigan. Long returned for his senior year after many had him graded as a first round prospect for the 2007 NFL Draft. Long has prototype size at 6 6 320 pounds and is a consensus preseason first team All-American. Long is rated as the top offensive tackle NFL prospect in the nation and the leading candidate for the Outland Trophy and Rotary Lombardi Award. He was a 2006 consensus All-American and the 2006 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year . The 5th year senior has played in 30 games and made 27 starts at offensive tackle, 14 as right tackle and 13 at left tackle. In high school he played defensive and offensive tackle and as an offensive tackle as a prep, he never allowed a sack. Out of high school he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.0 seconds and bench pressed 380 pounds.

Long has had some problems with durability and injuries, but he appears fully healthy entering his final college season. Long has great feet, as you would expect for a prospect rated as a top five overall NFL Draft pick for the 2008 NFL Draft. Looking at his game except durability, he has no weakness, he is not just a finesse guy either, he can move the pile, run block with the best of them and he plays with a mean streak. His experience on both the left and right side will improve his versatility. Michigan running back Mike Hart didn t run for 1,562 yards and score 14 touchdowns by accident, most of those runs were behind Jake Long.

Rivals.com: "Long should be the first lineman taken in the NFL Draft."

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE...?selposition=28