Dimintroff

Honestly, I don't see how anybody can know. There is no way to measure what his contributions were or were not to the New England Patriots. I hear the guy puts together a **** of a Powerpoint presentation though, whatever that is worth.

We don't really have any choice but to hope for the best, but I think I will have a better idea of how I feel about him when we bring in a Head Coach.

That's also when I decide if I am going to renew my season tickets or not.

Peyton (1/13/2008)
Honestly, I don't see how anybody can know. There is no way to measure what his contributions were or were not to the New England Patriots. I here the guy puts together a **** of a Powerpoint presentation though, whatever that is worth.

We don't really have any choice but to hope for the best, but I think I will have a better idea of how I feel about him when we bring in a Head Coach.

Well he's from the Pats so I'm optimistic :P

Charles Odum, Asoociated Press

He has no experience as a general manager.

That's reason enough for it not to be a good decision, in my eyes. If this were normal set of circumstances in which we were looking for a GM, I'd be excited. But--and I say this as a loyal fan--this is a team in absolute shambles. The condition of the franchise goes beyond a bad record. They've lost their face-man to prison, lost his competent backup to an ill-fated trade, lost their head coach to college in the middle of the season, lost their dignity to Bill Parcells, and lost the season to media scrutiny and poor play. Inexperience is not what is needed at the helm. Inexperience is about as likely to turn this franchise around as Byron Leftwich is to be a Hall of Famer. With the experienced candidates with some success that were interiviewed, I have to wonder why the job went to a newbie, especially with the franchise in the shape that it's in.

BFarmer1980 (1/13/2008)
Charles Odum, Asoociated Press

He has no experience as a general manager.

That's reason enough for it not to be a good decision, in my eyes. If this were normal set of circumstances in which we were looking for a GM, I'd be excited. But--and I say this as a loyal fan--this is a team in absolute shambles. The condition of the franchise goes beyond a bad record. They've lost their face-man to prison, lost his competent backup to an ill-fated trade, lost their head coach to college in the middle of the season, lost their dignity to Bill Parcells, and lost the season to media scrutiny and poor play. Inexperience is not what is needed at the helm. Inexperience is about as likely to turn this franchise around as Byron Leftwich is to be a Hall of Famer. With the experienced candidates with some success that were interiviewed, I have to wonder why the job went to a newbie, especially with the franchise in the shape that it's in.

Lets not pass judgment on this man when we havent even seen him work yet thats what the problem with these boards is every move we make somone finds somthing negative about it to say. If we got Tom Brady people would still complain.....and so what he doesnt have any experience as a GM Ted Thompson wasnt a GM b4 he got to Green Bay and look at what hes put together so get off the mans back and wait to see what happens b4 you pass any kind of judgment

I don't think I passed any kind of judgment on Dimintoff in that post. I expressed my opinion that his hiring wasn't a good choice, and said nothing negative about him, save that he has no GM experience, which I feel to be important to the rebuilding of the francise. In fact, if you read the post, you see that I pointed out that I'd be excited to have him if this team was under normal circumstances. The fact is, though, that the franchise is in anything but a normal situation. Can he evaluate talent with the best of them? Sure. But, as I expressed, this franchise has problems that are far greater than sub-par players, and it's those intangibles that bring both success AND stability to a franchise that we can't know for sure if this guy brings to the job, as he's never done the job before. That's the only point I'm trying to make,

.leon (1/13/2008)
Peyton (1/13/2008)
Honestly, I don't see how anybody can know. There is no way to measure what his contributions were or were not to the New England Patriots. I here the guy puts together a **** of a Powerpoint presentation though, whatever that is worth.

agreed, their water boy could help out!!;)

Well he's from the Pats so I'm optimistic :P

The problem with hiring a GM, is that good GMs are normally retained by their teams. There are very few proven candidates available with super bowl rings - so you end up with a choice of inexpereinced candidates and experienced people who werent' successful enough to retian their previous jobs. The same applies with finding a head coach.

The irony is that Rich Mckay when we signed Rich McKay in 2003 he actually ticked ALL of the right boxes, being an experienced candiate who had built a team from scrath that had been consistently competitive and won a championship. Now, 4 years later, the GM that was regarded by many experst as the best in the NFL hasn't made the impact expected.

In a nutshell, there are no guarantees of success in this league. All we can do as fans is to get behind the new GM and HOPE that it all works out well. It beats the alternative (i.e. whinging about it for the next 3 years and hoping he fails).

ukfalc (1/13/2008)
The problem with hiring a GM, is that good GMs are normally retained by their teams. There are very few proven candidates available with super bowl rings - so you end up with a choice of inexpereinced candidates and experienced people who werent' successful enough to retian their previous jobs. The same applies with finding a head coach.

The irony is that Rich Mckay when we signed Rich McKay in 2003 he actually ticked ALL of the right boxes, being an experienced candiate who had built a team from scrath that had been consistently competitive and won a championship. Now, 4 years later, the GM that was regarded by many experst as the best in the NFL hasn't made the impact expected.

In a nutshell, there are no guarantees of success in this league. All we can do as fans is to get behind the new GM and HOPE that it all works out well. It beats the alternative (i.e. whinging about it for the next 3 years and hoping he fails).

Another simple yet outstanding post from ukfalc! :D

I'm really pretty indifferent about it at this point. I'd like to see who we hire as a coach. That way more important than GM.

I know I dont like a nfl scout who is 40 years old hiring the head coach. But hey, he could hire the next Bill Belichick (yeah right).

This just smells like it could be the worst hire the Falcons have made in 50 years. It's definately a gutsy hire though. He could really turn this thing around, being that we're at the bottom of the bottom. Or.... He could be in WAY over his head.