Some people are saying let go Kieth Brooking?

super bob

why would we let go of number 56? never injured, better at olb, but is still a great MLB. yes he is expensive, but who else would replace a player like him with out costing the same amount?i believe he has a good three years left and is a great player.Read his stats, thats all it should take! let me know what you think!

TRANSACTIONS

Selected as a first round (12th pick overall) draft choice by the Atlanta Falcons in 1998.

CAREER

Led the Falcons in total tackles (165) for the sixth consecutive season in 2006.

Has started 96 consecutive games entering the 2007 season, dating back to 2001.

Only player on Atlanta's current roster that played for the Falcons on the 1998 Super Bowl team.

Intense, throwback player who was named to five straight Pro Bowls from 2001-2005. Only Claude Humphrey (1970-74) and Mike Kenn (1980-84) had made five consecutive Pro Bowl appearances in Falcons history.

Totaled 200-plus tackle seasons in 2002 (212) and 2003 (207), becoming only the second Falcons player to tally 200 or more tackles in a season twice.

Posted the most tackles (212) in a season by a Falcons player in 2002 since LB Buddy Curry tallied 229 in 1983. Became the fifth Falcons defender ever to record 200 tackles in a season with those 212 stops.

Recorded double-digit tackles in all 16 games in 2002.

Set a new single-game high with 22 tackles at Green Bay (9/8) in 2002.

Switched from weakside linebacker to middle linebacker with the retirement of LB Jessie Tuggle in 2001.

Promising third season in 2000 was cut short due to a sprained left foot that required surgery and forced him out of the lineup after five games.

2006 (FALCONS)

Started 16 games for the sixth consecutive season and led the team with 165 tackles for the sixth year in a row. He added 2.5 sacks, one fumble recovery and one pass defensed.

Tied a team-high eight tackles at Carolina (9/10) while holding the Panthers running attack to only 65 yards rushing.

Led the team in tackles with 12 vs. Tampa Bay (9/17) in addition to assisting a defense that did not allow a touchdown for the second consecutive game.

Collared a team-high eight tackles and a half-sack vs. Arizona (10/1), while assisting a defense that allowed a season-low 31 rushing yards.

Led the team in tackles with 10 at Cincinnati (10/29) for a defense that allowed only 73 rushing yards.

Collected a team-high 13 tackles at Detroit (11/5) in addition to his first sack of the season.

Tallied his fourth straight double-digit tackle game with 15 at Baltimore (11/19).

Posted nine tackles and one sack (nine yards) vs. New Orleans (11/26).

Led the team in tackles with a season-high 18 at Tampa Bay (12/10). The 18 tackles ties his second-highest single-game tackle total (at New Orleans 11/16/03).

Recorded a team-high 13 tackles vs. Dallas (12/16).

2005 (FALCONS)

Made fifth consecutive Pro Bowl appearance (ties team record) despite switching to MLB in Week 6 because of injuries, starting all 16 games for the fifth year in a row.

Finished the season with a team-high 150 tackles in addition to establishing career-highs in interceptions (4) and passes defensed (10). Also recorded one fumble recovery and tied a career-high with 3.5 sacks.

Recorded 12 tackles and his first sack of the season at Seattle (9/18).

Posted eight tackles, one sack and one interception vs. Minnesota (10/2) in his 100th career game. The sack was part of a nine-sack effort by Atlanta, which was one shy of the team record. He also became the first Falcons player to record a sack and interception in the same game since DE Patrick Kerney accomplished the feat vs. St. Louis (9/24/00).

Started his first game of the season at MLB in place of an injured Ed Hartwell (Achilles) at New Orleans (10/16) and led the linebacker corps with eight tackles in addition to posting his second interception of the season.

Led team with 12 tackles and two passes defensed, one of which was tipped to S Bryan Scott for an interception, at Carolina (12/4).

Established a career-high with his fourth interception of the season at Tampa Bay (12/24) in addition to tallying a team-high 12 tackles.

Tallied one sack, one pass defensed and a team-high 10 tackles vs. Carolina (1/1) in the season finale.

He is a very accomplished player, but all those resume bullets you listed are for his past performances...

He's not performing those kinds of feats TODAY, at least not in a difference making manner...

For the record, I don't think he should be let go, per se, but he shouldn't be starting at MLB next season and if he's unwilling to take a lesser role, then maybe he does need to be let go...

I admire Keith and thank him for his performances in the Falcons' uniform, but if this team is going to improve, in terms of stopping the run, he has to be replaced at MLB...

He needs to take a sizeable pay cut, because he is no longer a pro-bowl calibre player and his performances don't justify his 2008 cap hit.

I have a huge amount of respect for Brooking and would love to see him stick around to mentor his replacement, but only at the right price. We can't let sentimentality get in the way what's in the best interest of the team.

ukfalc (1/12/2008)
He needs to take a sizeable pay cut, because he is no longer a pro-bowl calibre player and his performances don't justify his 2008 cap hit.

I have a huge amount of respect for Brooking and would love to see him stick around to mentor his replacement, but only at the right price. We can't let sentimentality get in the way what's in the best interest of the team.

Exactly my point...

Well said...

BROOK HAS BEEN A GOOD PLAYER IN PAST YEARS. BUT YEARS HAVE A WAY OF SLOWING DOWN THE BEST OF THEM. THIS IS A BUSINESS. IF YOU HURT THE BUSINESS .... YOU GOT TO GO. I KNOW IT SOUNDS HEARTLESS, BUT THATS THE NFL. I DON'T CARE HOW GREAT A PLAYER IS .......... TIME IS NOT HIS FRIEND.:)

REV.2000 (1/12/2008)
BROOK HAS BEEN A GOOD PLAYER IN PAST YEARS. BUT YEARS HAVE A WAY OF SLOWING DOWN THE BEST OF THEM. THIS IS A BUSINESS. IF YOU HURT THE BUSINESS .... YOU GOT TO GO. I KNOW IT SOUNDS HEARTLESS, BUT THATS THE NFL. I DON'T CARE HOW GREAT A PLAYER IS .......... TIME IS NOT HIS FRIEND.:)

I agree. I think some people just like a player so much as a person they will never admit they have slowed down.

His leadership and knowledge of the LB position is invaluable, however... He needs to be moved back to his old position and mentor a new LB. He isn't a run stuffer and he isn't very fast. He's lost a step, but he still has a year or so left as a solid player. I say we slowly start to lessen his role, but still keep him for the mentoring of younger up and coming guys.

Joe Horn was invaluable for our WRs core even though he didn't do very much on the field, Brooking could be another one of those guys. Besides, cutting him out right would only lead to another position that has to be filled this off-season. We have too many holes for that kind of mentality.

This is what I told Rich Mckay's kid. I think this will apply to you as well.

You must be Rich Mckay's kid... They said the same about Patrick Kerney!!! And look what happened.

It s people like you that hurt the team.

Word to the wise&

If it s not broke don t try to fix it!.

Are you saying the LB to the Left and Right are Pro bowlers!? Think about it newbe.

66% 78% 58%

WLB MLB BLB

Dwilliams Kbrooking MBoley

I am not saying that the percent of the LB s is accurate it s a for a visual understanding. You do not replace the player with the higher percentage for no reason. If he has a bad year then he has a bad year. Baseball mentality 3 strikes then your out.

The next worst thing that could happen to our defense is to get rid of Coleman because he had a bad year.

And!!!! I say again worst thing that could happen to our defense is to get rid of Coleman.

He too will be the sack champion the next year.

I do think Keith is getting older but, hey, look at the patriots. Seau, 18 years in the league, okay he's not as mobile as he was 8-10 years ago but his experience has been invaulable to an undefeated team. Again with the Patriots, Tedi Brushchi has been in the league for what some might perceive as too long. However the man he tackling all over the place and making plays.

I think the problem with Keith is he isnt willing to make changes in his game. He's a player that plays 5 yards behind the line of scrimmiage. If he is willing to put in the effort and get some of those 100 tackles for losses and a few sacks then I see no harm in letting this Lifetime Falcon be our starter at Linebacker...

My opinion:)

He needs to play his natural posistion, and if im not mistaken Boley is the reason he's playing in the middle. Either way he should stay on for another year or so,this team has a lot of holes and there is no way we can fill them all in one draft. We will see how the draft pans out but if Dmo leaves like it has been speculated, we cant replace both of them in this draft.

The Falcon starting LB's had a total of 5 sacks last year.

Brooking 2

Boley 3

Williams 0

Brooking had 110 tackles.

It is obvious by just looking at the numbers (and seeing it for yourself watching the games) that the Falcons continue to use the "roll and fill" type of defense that has been used since Mora.

The LB's are rarely called upon to blitz and instead are asked to "stay home" and roll into the gaps and fill the holes. So you arent going to see staggering sack and tackles for losses from this ENTIRE group until the defensive scheme changes to a more aggressive one.

I agree that Brooking needs to be moved back to WLB AND if he is a team player, accept a renegotiation of his contract.

I also believe that he has a few years left and if in the proper position and with a more aggressive scheme can cause some serious disruption in offensive backfields.

He is doing EXACTLY what has been asked of him at this time. How can you fault a guy for that?

I have great respect for Keith Brooking, but he's not the same player he was 5 years ago. When I saw the undrafted reserve RB for the Colts Kenton Keith embarrass Brooking in the open field, I realized its time for him to move on to the coaching portion of his career. I think he'll make an outstanding LB coach.

Agreed 200%. Brook is the only linebacker we've had year aftaer year that brings it every Sunday, and plays THROUGH injury. A dirty little secret that most fans seem to not understand, "prone-to-injury" = "unable-to-play-through and with injuries" in the NFL. they ALL get injured, you just never hear about most of them.

one note** Brook is NOT a middle linebacker, never has been, never will be. He MANNED up with the franchise BEGGED him to fill the role due to the MISMANAGED personnel decisions (Letting Draft go, signed arguably the biggest BUST in Falcons history...Hartwell).

zonterry (1/13/2008)
This is what I told Rich Mckay's kid. I think this will apply to you as well.

You must be Rich Mckay's kid... They said the same about Patrick Kerney!!! And look what happened.

It s people like you that hurt the team.

Word to the wise&

If it s not broke don t try to fix it!.

Are you saying the LB to the Left and Right are Pro bowlers!? Think about it newbe.

66% 78% 58%

WLB MLB BLB

Dwilliams Kbrooking MBoley

I am not saying that the percent of the LB s is accurate it s a for a visual understanding. You do not replace the player with the higher percentage for no reason. If he has a bad year then he has a bad year. Baseball mentality 3 strikes then your out.

The next worst thing that could happen to our defense is to get rid of Coleman because he had a bad year.

And!!!! I say again worst thing that could happen to our defense is to get rid of Coleman.

He too will be the sack champion the next year.

Kerney actually made plays while he was hear.Nobody would ever sign Brooking to a FA contract even close to that.When he hits double digits in forced fumbles for his career then maybe u might have something but that's not the case.Years of garbage tackles and pile ons.No int since 05.There's way a LB that has started as much as he has with all the years under his belt with 5 straight pro-bowls to only have 8 forced fumbles in his entire career.He doesn't impact games just stat sheets.....in only one column.I would expect a weak side line backer to do more than fall on guys after big gains.Him and Hartwell played like twins last year and that was while he was outside.

Nativebird (1/13/2008)
Agreed 200%. Brook is the only linebacker we've had year aftaer year that brings it every Sunday, and plays THROUGH injury. A dirty little secret that most fans seem to not understand, "prone-to-injury" = "unable-to-play-through and with injuries" in the NFL. they ALL get injured, you just never hear about most of them.

one note** Brook is NOT a middle linebacker, never has been, never will be. He MANNED up with the franchise BEGGED him to fill the role due to the MISMANAGED personnel decisions (Letting Draft go, signed arguably the biggest BUST in Falcons history...Hartwell).

He looked just like Hartwell while on the outside.but because he's Keith Brooking nobody cares.