Florida rejects commitment from Sanders.

SacFalcFan

Florida rejects commitment from Sanders

By Jeff Hood

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/12/08 7:37 PM

Zebrie Sanders plan to choose between Florida and Georgia this weekend has hit an unexpected snag.

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound offensive tackle from Northmont High in Clayton, Oh. was set to commit to the Gators on Sunday.

But the lack of scholarships available in Gainesville for offensive linemen has Sanders looking elsewhere for a place to play college football.

The school that Zebrie was going to commit to called and informed him they no longer have slots available, said Sanders father Vincent Sanders. It was a disappointing situation for him. He had told that school to hold a spot for him when he went on a visit there.

And Zebrie had already called all the other coaches and told them he appreciated the experience, but he wanted to go elsewhere. Needless to say, now he feels like he has egg on his face.

Sanders opportunity to commit to the Gators apparently slipped away this week after Florida accepted commitments from offensive linemen Ricky Barnum Lakeland, Fl. and Matt Pathcan of Seffner, Fl.

Georgia is in a situation similar to the Gators. The Dogs are tapped out on the total number of scholarships it has remaining for the current recruiting class.

I have not talked to the people at Georgia, Vincent Sanders said. They told Zebrie if anything comes open they will contact him.

Florida State and UCLA now appear to be Sanders new front-runners.

He may take an official visit to FSU; he may take an official to UCLA, Vincent Sanders said. He s going to go where they want him.

Vincent Sanders was still stinging Saturday night from the disappointing news.

As his dad, I was hurt, he said. When a head coach tells you you re a part of our school and then everybody backs away from you, how am I supposed to feel?

I m not interested in bashing anybody. I m just telling you what happened.

Zebrie is just fortunate enough that some other doors are still open.

freakyfalcon (1/12/2008)
yeah I heard about that. Seems like Zebrie waited too late to make up his mind. Im hearing he may end up at FSU unless we some how have an opening over the weekend. I think both the Dawgs and UF are saving their last scholly for Omar Hunter's decision.

right now uga has zero openings for anyone. they don't have one for zebrie or hunter.. they are trying to get an open one, but it's doubtful they can do that.

I've been think. can we drop Bryce Ros scholly and ask him to take an acedemic one and be a walk-on. That way we have an athletics scholarship for Omar Hunter.

Rumor has it that Dwayne Allen is now seriously considering FSU. Should we just drop him his commitment? We are set at TE. Give his scholarship to Omar.

The coaching staff need to do everything they can to land Omar signature.

SacFalcFan (1/12/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/12/2008)
yeah I heard about that. Seems like Zebrie waited too late to make up his mind. Im hearing he may end up at FSU unless we some how have an opening over the weekend. I think both the Dawgs and UF are saving their last scholly for Omar Hunter's decision.

right now uga has zero openings for anyone. they don't have one for zebrie or hunter.. they are trying to get an open one, but it's doubtful they can do that.

What about Xavier Avery? I'd ask him for a guarantee he's coming to UGA, come **** or a high draft selection....and if he says he isn't sure, you yank the scholly.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/12/2008)
I've been think. can we drop Bryce Ros scholly and ask him to take an acedemic one and be a walk-on. That way we have an athletics scholarship for Omar Hunter.

Rumor has it that Dwayne Allen is now seriously considering FSU. Should we just drop him his commitment? We are set at TE. Give his scholarship to Omar.

The coaching staff need to do everything they can to land Omar signature.

An academic scholarship for Ros with a 2.8 GPA? We're not Auburn.

Didn't know Ros has that low of an GPA.

I', praying really hard Coach Ritch will do whatever he can to get Omar Hunter.

Right now, its unlikely because TJ Pridemore just commited to Florida. I read an article somewhere that if Omar commit to UF, Pridemore will too. So I think Omar will be a Gators. Its too bad we are too late.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/13/2008)
Didn't know Ros has that low of an GPA.

I', praying really hard Coach Ritch will do whatever he can to get Omar Hunter.

Right now, its unlikely because TJ Pridemore just commited to Florida. I read an article somewhere that if Omar commit to UF, Pridemore will too. So I think Omar will be a Gators. Its too bad we are too late.

tj and omar are not a package. even if they end up at florida, they were not a package deal.

The idea of pulling a scholly from Ros is absurd to me. Our class is our class. I dont care if we get Omar or Zebrie. They're fine players, and they'll be fine college players. But our class is loaded, and neither of them are a need. And it's Bryce Ros' fault, or any other UGA commit that Zebrie waited this long... Same with Omar.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/13/2008)
I read somwhere it will likely happen.

I just don't want to lose a chance of getting Omar.

Do you have any news regarding Omar that you would like to share?

I don't repeat stuff I am told in confidence so the only think I believe is omar ends up at somewhere other than uga.

mbrizzle (1/13/2008)
The idea of pulling a scholly from Ros is absurd to me. Our class is our class. I dont care if we get Omar or Zebrie. They're fine players, and they'll be fine college players. But our class is loaded, and neither of them are a need. And it's Bryce Ros' fault, or any other UGA commit that Zebrie waited this long... Same with Omar.

richt doesn't pull schollies from commits. even if a guy won't qualify or a guy has a chance of going to mlb instead of college..

freakyfalcon (1/12/2008)

I don't think I'd want UF's sloppy seconds anyway. Go to FSU, kid.

(1/14/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/12/2008)

Uh, UGA was on him before UF.

(1/14/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/12/2008)

Uh, UGA was on him before UF.