Our New QB

guru

How 'bout our new GM pulling off a deal to bring Matt Cassel over? He's been learning under the best run system for 3 years. Given the right chance, he could be worthy and the price shouldn't be to high. He has the experience of being part of a winner and has played in playoff games. Plus, he also has ties to a certain popular coach that name keeps being mention but supposely has no interest.

I think it would be better to draft D-Mac (if available) and have Cassel be our QB than drafting anyone of the QB's coming out in the first round. Picking up one later in the draft would be great - good possible future QB. I liked to see how DJ comes back but we better have a plan already. He hadn't earned a starting spot before getting injured. The bad QB play this year just made us fall in love with him more.

I hope we draft UGA's Coutu and GA Southern Foster as well.

guru (1/12/2008)
How 'bout our new GM pulling off a deal to bring Matt Cassel over? He's been learning under the best run system for 3 years. Given the right chance, he could be worthy and the price shouldn't be to high. He has the experience of being part of a winner and has played in playoff games. Plus, he also has ties to a certain popular coach that name keeps being mention but supposely has no interest.

I think it would be better to draft D-Mac (if available) and have Cassel be our QB than drafting anyone of the QB's coming out in the first round. Picking up one later in the draft would be great - good possible future QB. I liked to see how DJ comes back but we better have a plan already. He hadn't earned a starting spot before getting injured. The bad QB play this year just made us fall in love with him more.

Isn't there some type of unwritten rule that coaches/managers would not raid the cubbard of the team he is leaving for atleast one year? Not an official rule so I guess anything is possible but if I recall correctly that is one of the reasons for the feud between Belichick and Mangini.

I think that he played pretty well in the blowouts that he came in for in the 4th quarter. That being said, those games were over and the defense had probably already given up and he is part of the best system in the NFL.

My main issue with him is the fact that he's a career backup. He has more or less all of the good qualities of a backup, but we have know idea how he would respond under pressure in late game situations. He hasn't really been in a tense situation really since high school...:ermm:

I would be okay with giving up a late pick for him (im not sure if he's a FA or not) to give him a chance, but with the amount of QB's we have I just don't see it happening.

guru (1/12/2008)

id like the falcons to shore up the weakness in the o-line and defense and see about a qb next year. imo if the current qbs had enough time surely 1 of them would stand out and get the job done. i know a qb is a high agenda but looks to me to be less a priority

Angus Beef (1/12/2008)
isn't there some type of unwritten rule that a departing manager/coach would not raid the cupboard of the team he is departing for at least one year? If I recall correctly that is the reason for the Belichick/Mangini feud. It is not a rule however so I guess all are fairplay.

ANYTHING GOES:D

GEORGIAfan (1/13/2008)
paulitik (1/13/2008)
Isn't David Greene in NE? We could get him and make all us Dawg fans happy. We could have the Shockley /Greene tandem again!

Just kidding, I'm not that much of a homer.

forget Greene. DJ SHOCKLEY IS DA FUTURE!!!

Im gonna have to agree with my boy GF on this one Shockley is the better choice of the 2. Greene is no where near as fast as Shockley so the people might get to thirsty before greene could get them some water. Shockley on the other hand is on point. Best water/towel boy the Falcons have ever had. DJ SHOCKLEY IS DA FUTURE OF WHAT WATER BOY'S WILL BE IN THE NFL.

FalconFan13 (1/13/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/13/2008)
paulitik (1/13/2008)
Isn't David Greene in NE? We could get him and make all us Dawg fans happy. We could have the Shockley /Greene tandem again!

Im gonna have to agree with my boy GF on this one Shockley is the better choice of the 2. Greene is no where near as fast as Shockley so the people might get to thirsty before greene could get them some water. Shockley on the other hand is on point. Best water/towel boy the Falcons have ever had. DJ SHOCKLEY IS DA FUTURE OF WHAT WATER BOY'S WILL BE IN THE NFL.

Dang you got to be COLD!!!. Dont join the Shockley train when he is winning us games. just eat a nice helping of Crow for every game he wins.

GEORGIAfan (1/13/2008)
FalconFan13 (1/13/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/13/2008)
paulitik (1/13/2008)

Dang you got to be COLD!!!. Dont join the Shockley train when he is winning us games. just eat a nice helping of Crow for every game he wins.

LOL GF you know i do it out of love for my boy :D You also know i would gladly throw some BBQ Sauce on that crow and ask for 2nd's everytime we win a game ;) Thats the difference with me and other real haters i just do it to be mean to certain people for fun but i cheer for all the players on our team as long as they are a falcon :)

I know i had you at 1st you thought i was fixing to give him uber praises didn't you :w00t:

The only game I remember Cassel seeing significent time in was against the falcons during the pre season a couple of years back, he played like 3 quaters and our second string completely shut him down. He didnt move the ball until a 3-4 stringers came out. So im gonna go with a strong no. lol

It's not as ridiculous a suggestion as some have made out.

From our perspective, of course there is no reason to believe that Matt Cassell has any chance of being a starting-calibre QB. But TD has seen him close up, and it is not impossible that he might believe that he has that quality.

Incidentally, the fact that he was a backup to Leinart and Brady is hardly a condemnation of his ability.

In short, I won't betting my house on us acquiring Matt Cassell, but if it does happen I will not be amazed, or even displeased (dependent on cost).