ESPN confirms GM Dimitrioff from the PATS!!!

michaelgee

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3193496

Pats college scouting director Dimitroff set to take over as Falcons GM

By Chris Mortensen and Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Updated: January 12, 2008, 6:12 PM ET

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tapping into the wealth of talent in the New England personnel department, the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday night reached an agreement with Patriots director of college scouting Thomas Dimitroff to be the team's new general manager.

Falcons officials on Saturday informed the five other candidates for the position of their decision. Details of Dimitroff's contract, which is not yet signed, were not available.

A New England team official confirmed for ESPN.com before Saturday night's divisional-round playoff game against Jacksonville that Dimitroff has accepted the job. He will face a daunting task in rebuilding a threadbare roster and in helping to make viable again a franchise that this season drifted into irrelevance on the Atlanta sports scene.

Dimitroff is expected to have considerable input into the Falcons' next head coach and sources said he has already offered some analysis to team officials in that regard. With the general manager spot filled, the Falcons could move relatively quickly to name a head coach to succeed Bobby Petrino, who resigned with three games remaining in his first NFL season.

An 18-year veteran in the league, Dimitroff has been with the Patriots for six years. He joined the franchise in 2002 as a national scout and then was named director of college scouting a year later.

Before joining the Pats' personnel department, Dimitroff worked nine seasons in the scouting departments of the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns.

He also worked in the CFL and the World League.

Dimitroff replaces Rich McKay, who served as president and general manager but had the latter title removed by owner Arthur Blank three weeks ago. McKay has remained with the Falcons as team president and recently signed a two-year contract extension through 2010.

This doesn't exactly inspire me. The great majority of the Patriots important players were drafted before Dimitroff joined the team or were free agents.

Unless they blow me away with the coaching hire, my season tickets will definitely be available to a new owner.

Here is an idea lets give the guy a chance before we start crying about it. Not very body is going to be happy. If you that Mr. Blank wouldn't go out and get the best guy he could as GM then you don't know him. He wants this team to be a winner more than anyone else. He is the one who puts up the money. So lets give Mr. Dimitroff a chance and see what happens. He has to do better that McKay.

Here is an idea lets give the guy a chance before we start crying about it. Not very body is going to be happy. If you that Mr. Blank wouldn't go out and get the best guy he could as GM then you don't know him. He wants this team to be a winner more than anyone else. He is the one who puts up the money. So lets give Mr. Dimitroff a chance and see what happens. He has to do better that McKay.

I agree that Blank wants to win badly, but I think this is a horrible hire. I don't think there has ever been a football team that filled more of thier holes with free agents than the NE Patriots. So the Falcons go after thier Director of College scouting. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Peyton (1/12/2008)

I agree that Blank wants to win badly, but I think this is a horrible hire. I don't think there has ever been a football team that filled more of thier holes with free agents than the NE Patriots. So the Falcons go after thier Director of College scouting. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Actually I love this hire. I wanted him more than Heckert. he has been in the Pats organization for a long time and can bring that culture here!

Chad Holcomb (1/12/2008)

don't worry Chad, these fans in here will do nothing but whine and complain

Peyton (1/12/2008)
this guy should have his finger on the pulse of the draft, something totally new to the Falcons.

The Pats had 8 draft picks this year. One of them made the roster. One.

Only one was a first day pick. They also traded last year's first for a first this year, which is #7 overall. They have great draft strategy EVERY year. ANd actually, if you look, two of their picks are listed on their roster. But don't forget just how deep this team is and how hard it would be for a 2nd day pick to make the team... Then look at the past few drafts and see how good they were.

Peyton (1/12/2008)
this guy should have his finger on the pulse of the draft, something totally new to the Falcons.

The Pats have a depth chart, unlike us where rookies are the first team.

new to football are you?

The Cush (1/12/2008)
Peyton (1/12/2008)

Only one was a first day pick. They also traded last year's first for a first this year, which is #7 overall. They have great draft strategy EVERY year. ANd actually, if you look, two of their picks are listed on their roster. But don't forget just how deep this team is and how hard it would be for a 2nd day pick to make the team... Then look at the past few drafts and see how good they were.

Cush,

Sadly the people posting in here don't get it. It is embarrassing to see so many people putting knives in this guys back before he even gets the contract signed.

Typical isn't it...

Brandon Merriweather is the only draft pick on thier roster. Five of the other guys were cut, and two of them were put on injured reserve.

Peyton (1/12/2008)

Brandon Merriweather is the only draft pick on thier roster. Five of the other guys were cut, and two of them were put on injured reserve.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=...erbio&bio=32515This is guy #2.