Need Help Please

Guest stewie

Hey Guys,

I have recently started learning photoshop and and having some good success with the basics and even some of the more advanced features. However, I am having alot of difficulty with blending.

Could any of you give me some advise about the best ways to blend?

At this point I am mostly trying to learn how to blend a render with a background within a signature. I have made some backgrounds that I like (not that they are good!...but I like them), but when I incorporate the render I am having a world of trouble blending it and making it look like it is not just standing alone on a background.

I have found a bunch of tutorials online, but none of these have really helped me too well.

Any help any of you could give would be greatly appreciated!

What I generally do is duplicate the render a about 5 times. On the bottom couple I smudge the render outwards with a chalk or X brush (depending on style) on medium strength and high scatter and size jitter. The middle one I leave as it is. The top two are optional for me, on of them I blur and set on lighten/soft light or whatever, and the very top one I sometimes use the High Pass filter and set it to overlay, which doesn't really blend it, but makes it stand out in a way like if it was already blended, and then made to stand out....if you get what I mean.

This only thing I didn't understand was the "high pass filter". Could you explain what that is please?

Thanks for your response. Other responses are requested as well!

Thanks!

It's a handy filter that basically sharpens things better than sharpen :) What you do is create a new layer, go to Image>Apply Image (default settings). Basically this gives you one layer that is an exact copy of all the rest of your layers put together. It's like merging them all onto a new layer. Then the if you use Filters>Other>High pass from anyway from 5-15 pixels, you get this grey thingie, which I put on softlight or overlay or whatever. It makes things stand out as opposed to blend, but it kinda still makes it look as if the render and background are together...it's kinda hard to explain lol, it kinda has the effect of blending, but by making it stand out. I'm confusing myself now...well anyway I use it on basically everything.