MORT

cstyle4200

cstyle4200 (1/12/2008)
HE SAID THAT FALCONS WILL NAME AN GM THIS WEEKEND AND ALSO SAID IT LOOKS LIKE CALDWELL MAY BE GETTING THE HC JOB BUT ALSO SAID INDY WANTS HIM IF DUNGY LEAVE.

Did he also say we (Blank) run a dysfunctional organization? Or did he say we have a GM that he wouldn't speculate on but he did would speculate that Caldwell may be the HC?

This is driving me crazy. You CANNOT hire a HC before a GM. AND, you CANNOT choose the HC for your next GM.

It CANNOT work that way.

cstyle4200 (1/12/2008)
HE SAID THAT FALCONS WILL NAME AN GM THIS WEEKEND AND ALSO SAID IT LOOKS LIKE CALDWELL MAY BE GETTING THE HC JOB BUT ALSO SAID INDY WANTS HIM IF DUNGY LEAVE.

Yes I heard it on ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown too as well. He said

"Caldwell is a strong candidate"

"Falcons should be naming a GM this weekend"

The Pete Carrol thing was just a "flirtation" and nothing more.

67camaro (1/12/2008)
So the GM has NO say in his Head Coach??

Looks like Blank, and McKay did it again!!

No, it means that the GM will be hired, with the understanding of who he wants as HC. The FO has been interviewing Football tandems:

Heckert and Spagnuolo

Smith and Smith

McKenzie (or Schneider) and Caldwell

Kirwin and Carroll

Dimitroff and McDaniels

Let's see if Mort has finally gotten one right.

He said we could have a gm.I have been saying I think we will get 1 this weekend for a few days now.If we do the carrol thing is likely over.Dont be surprised to see the redskins go after carrol.Im kind of ready to get the staff inplace.Even if its just the gm we need to move forward before some more heads roll from fireings.

67camaro (1/12/2008)

Not Necessarily. Several things we should think about:

1) I am sure Blank has asked every GM Candidate who they would want as HC

2) We don't know if any of the coaches have talked to the GM's

3) We don't know if the GM Candidates have seen interviews of them or not.

IF they hire a GM and then a coach right after it would make logical sense that it was with the recommendation of that GM.

Miami has hired a QB's Coach before a Head Coach. Would you say that Parcells is messing up b/c he is hiring assistant coaches without the head coach approval? I would say they have talked with whoever they are going to hire and they have suggested that.

NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

IF they hire a GM and then a coach right after it would make logical sense that it was with the recommendation of that GM.

Miami has hired a QB's Coach before a Head Coach. Would you say that Parcells is messing up b/c he is hiring assistant coaches without the head coach approval? I would say they have talked with whoever they are going to hire and they have suggested that.

I don't like that idea either. That would mean the GM would choose a HC without interviewing anyone else. Is that smart? Why not explore all options then take your original instinct. Or maybe when you explore all options you decide there's someone else you'd rather have.

I don't like the package deal at all. Hire a **** GM, give him some time to choose a HC, and start building this team.

NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

A GM that would hire a head coach on a interview that he has seen is a JOKE!! Make NO mistake if our new GM does what the Pres. McKay, and Owner Blank wants then our new GM is just a FACE, and not a real GM, and NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!

I don't like that idea either. That would mean the GM would choose a HC without interviewing anyone else. Is that smart? Why not explore all options then take your original instinct. Or maybe when you explore all options you decide there's someone else you'd rather have.

I don't like the package deal at all. Hire a **** GM, give him some time to choose a HC, and start building this team.

Every serious GM candidate has relationships and ties to prospective coaches. It is essential that the Gm and HC work well together. It makes perfect sense to acquire the interviewing GM's choices for HC. In that manner, the owner gets the opportunity to reject some candidates and accept others.

By interviewing the HC's early, the Rooney rule is observed and the owner identifies which HC's he can live with.

This style of interviewing makes sense and has a better chance of succeeding in the long run.

67camaro (1/12/2008)
NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

A GM that would hire a head coach on a interview that he has seen is a JOKE!! Make NO mistake if our new GM does what the Pres. McKay, and Owner Blank wants then our new GM is just a FACE, and not a real GM, and NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!

There's the logic. Thanks 67camaro.

67camaro (1/12/2008)
NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

So, if you hire the coach that your new GM recommended, because they have a good, previous working relationship, then it's a joke? You are 99% certain that you are hiring the coach that the GM you just hired was going to hire anyway & you know that the GM/HC will be able to work well together, because you have talked to that GM about it during the interview process.

Now, nothing will change regarding Blank sticking his hand in the stew & stirring it about, but that's something any GM/HC is going to have to live with it seems. In that you are correct, but the GM that's hired will be more than just a face IMO, but how much more than just a face will be determined on how often he can smack Blanks hand as he reached for the stew.

birdweiserrr (1/12/2008)
NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

After the last fiasco, I'm sure Blank will have the last word on who we hire for HC, regardless of who we chose for GM.

GO FALCONS (AND FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE)!!!

bigatlfan2 (1/12/2008)
birdweiserrr (1/12/2008)
NCFalcon52 (1/12/2008)
67camaro (1/12/2008)

After the last fiasco, I'm sure Blank will have the last word on who we hire for HC, regardless of who we chose for GM.

GO FALCONS (AND FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE)!!!

Then we're in for another fiasco.

poolerspirit (1/12/2008)
So if we "already have a deal worked out" with the new GM and we're hiring his "approved Head Coach," why not announce and introduce our new GM and let him hire his HC.

who knows? maybe our gm to be is a part of an organization that is still in the playoffs and doesn't want to leave their team until they are eliminated. (mckenzie maybe?)

remember before we get all gloom and doom that just b/c mort reported it doesn't make it true.

From AJC:

Atlanta plans to hire a new general manager before hiring a coach, however the searches are running simultaneously.

Said Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on Caldwell: "Jim would be an outstanding selection if Atlanta were to choose him as their head coach, or any other team that may. He's been instrumental in what we've done around here offensively. Certainly he's helped me and my play, but what he's done for our offense, what he does week-to-week behind the scenes that nobody's going to hear about unless I'm telling you right now, what he does to help our offense. I don't think we'd be able to do some of the things we do offensively as far as our execution, our preparation without Jim Caldwell.

"Atlanta would be wise to hire him, in my opinion."

LINK:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...gmjob_0103.html

High praise from one of the best, if not the best, Quarterbacks in the league! Sounds like Caldwell would be a great pick for our HC.

Guess we'll see how this shakes out.

GO FALCONS!!!

(Fix the offensive line!)

bigatlfan2 (1/12/2008)
From AJC:

Atlanta plans to hire a new general manager before hiring a coach, however the searches are running simultaneously.

Said Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on Caldwell: "Jim would be an outstanding selection if Atlanta were to choose him as their head coach, or any other team that may. He's been instrumental in what we've done around here offensively. Certainly he's helped me and my play, but what he's done for our offense, what he does week-to-week behind the scenes that nobody's going to hear about unless I'm telling you right now, what he does to help our offense. I don't think we'd be able to do some of the things we do offensively as far as our execution, our preparation without Jim Caldwell.

"Atlanta would be wise to hire him, in my opinion."

LINK:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...gmjob_0103.html

High praise from one of the best, if not the best, Quarterbacks in the league! Sounds like Caldwell would be a great pick for our HC.

Guess we'll see how this shakes out.

GO FALCONS!!!

(Fix the offensive line!)

Yes, lets let a QB from another team tell us who our head coach should be!! THe last time I checked Peyton is not a GM, and he has NO idea about what our team needs.

cstyle4200 (1/12/2008)
Interesting. This says something strong about Caldwell. Obviously the Colts think he is a good enough HC so why wouldn't the Falcons try to get him ASAP? The Colts are a stronger, wise, better franchise than the Falcons and if they believe that Caldwell is capable of controlling their Super Bowl team than why can't he run the Falcons? Get him NOW!