Why the media is wrong about Carroll...

BigSlick

I keep reading and listening to media about why it would be dumb for Pete Carroll to leave USC for the Falcons. Here is why I believe that he is and would be willing to leave the college ranks.

1. He is an NFL coach. He never wanted to leave the NFL. He was offered and could have gotten any number of defensive coordinator jobs when he was let go in NE. He wanted to be a head coach and USC was available. I believe when he took the job at USC is was just to hold him over until he could get back into the NFL.

2. Everyone keeps saying he loves the Southern Cal life...living in LA with the fun and sun. He loves playing golf the ocean, etc. This may be true, but let's remember he coached in NY and NE before going to LA. Sure he was born on the WC but not in LA, in SF. SF and LA are totally different climates and atmospheres. His first job in the NFL was in Buffalo for goodness sake. He also coached @ NCST so he is familiar w/ the south...and if he loves golf what better place to live then the bible belt. You see almost as many golf courses in Georgia as you do churches.

3. In Atlanta he would likely be the highest paid coach in the NFL and for people who say money doesn't matter is silly. Money definitely matters.

4. Full control. While I don't necessarily agree with this, AB is likely going to offer it to him. McKay would stay on to run the organization and PC would have all power concerning personnel. This would PC's ultimate test.

5. Falcons are in good shape to rebuild. Our cap situation isn't terrible. Not great, but not awful either. He will have 4 or 5, likely 5, first day draft picks to start his rebuilding. He can really build a team the way he wants. If he thinks he got the shaft in the NFL then this would be the way to prove everyone wrong, although I doubt NE is ever going to regret their decision.

You put all this together plus the staff that he could likely bring to Atlanta and it's kind of an appealing job. To me it seems the worst is behind the Falcons.

Now don't take this post as my full endorsement of PC. I am skeptical, especially with him have full control. However, I would be a little excited to have him with us. It would definitely get me amped for our future.

BigSlick (1/12/2008)
I keep reading and listening to media about why it would be dumb for Pete Carroll to leave USC for the Falcons. Here is why I believe that he is and would be willing to leave the college ranks.

1. He is an NFL coach. He never wanted to leave the NFL. He was offered and could have gotten any number of defensive coordinator jobs when he was let go in NE. He wanted to be a head coach and USC was available. I believe when he took the job at USC is was just to hold him over until he could get back into the NFL.

2. Everyone keeps saying he loves the Southern Cal life...living in LA with the fun and sun. He loves playing golf the ocean, etc. This may be true, but let's remember he coached in NY and NE before going to LA. Sure he was born on the WC but not in LA, in SF. SF and LA are totally different climates and atmospheres. His first job in the NFL was in Buffalo for goodness sake. He also coached @ NCST so he is familiar w/ the south...and if he loves golf what better place to live then the bible belt. You see almost as many golf courses in Georgia as you do churches.

3. In Atlanta he would likely be the highest paid coach in the NFL and for people who say money doesn't matter is silly. Money definitely matters.

4. Full control. While I don't necessarily agree with this, AB is likely going to offer it to him. McKay would stay on to run the organization and PC would have all power concerning personnel. This would PC's ultimate test.

5. Falcons are in good shape to rebuild. Our cap situation isn't terrible. Not great, but not awful either. He will have 4 or 5, likely 5, first day draft picks to start his rebuilding. He can really build a team the way he wants. If he thinks he got the shaft in the NFL then this would be the way to prove everyone wrong, although I doubt NE is ever going to regret their decision.

You put all this together plus the staff that he could likely bring to Atlanta and it's kind of an appealing job. To me it seems the worst is behind the Falcons.

Now don't take this post as my full endorsement of PC. I am skeptical, especially with him have full control. However, I would be a little excited to have him with us. It would definitely get me amped for our future.

Unless you know him personally you are speculating a lot. I'm still not sure what I think of a scenario that would bring Pete Carroll to Atlanta. I still feel very burned by Petrino, and I know that is affecting my thought pattern of this.

SoCalFalconFan (1/12/2008)
BigSlick (1/12/2008)

Unless you know him personally you are speculating a lot. I'm still not sure what I think of a scenario that would bring Pete Carroll to Atlanta. I still feel very burned by Petrino, and I know that is affecting my thought pattern of this.

Yeah, but blaming Pete Carroll for Bobby Petrino being a ##### just isn't fair.

I am speculating. I agree. I don't feel like I am speculating more then the media is however. Actually considering that the Falcons and PC are still having talks, I think I am speculating less.

I don't care for speculation for or against Carroll outside of my own. Anyone saying that moving from a job in which everyone hates you in New England to LA paradise with a loyal fanbase and a winning team needs to look at this for what it is. There is no real reason outside of money for him to give up everything he could want in a coaching job to take ##### for a few years trying to rebuild a pro franchise, when his only experience in the pros was running a veteran team into the ground in New England.

How long did Pete & Dolphins talk last year? A week at least & had pretty much settled on a staff. Pete likes to flirt is seems. He's talked with NFL teams each of the last 3 offseasons. I think he's going to want to go somewhere that seems a little more obviously on the cusp of breaking though and making a serious playoff run, but that place has to be willing to give him at least some measure of control over personnel.

But if he really loved the SoCal life, he would have gotten more serious with the Bolts last offseason, but he must have realized that there was no way to get the GM out of the picture there.