Why are so many Falcon fans only interested in running QB's.

halsey

I swear i've seen this same basic post 50 times over the last few months when discussing QB's:

"No way [insert the name of any QB who's not a good runner in college or the NFL] is overrated! We need to start Shockley next year and draft Dennis Dixon!"

WTH is wrong with so many Falcon fans. As if the only QB's who suceed in the NFL are QB's who can run for 50-100 yards a game. And why the **** would you be so confident in a running QB who is recovering from a blwon out knee. I mean...they blew out there knee....running....while playing QB.....but they are the future for the Falcons at QB.

Ridiculous.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people on this board tend to confuse a mobile QB with a fast QB. We need a QB that's going to get the ball out of his hands quickly and make plays through the air, but have the ability to move around / out of the pocket to buy time so that the play develops. Someone like Chris Redman, he is a pretty mobile QB and makes plays through the air. Not saying Redman is the future but someone with his skill set would be ideal IMO.

Our O-line does suck, so that is a valid reason. Anyway, there is a difference between a running QB and a mobile QB. You bring up the name Dennis Dixon, who i like, so I'll talk about him for a little. Dixon is not a running QB, he looks to pass first. He is extremely mobile, but only uses his legs as a last resort. Unless our O-line somehow improves by lightyears over the summer, we need a mobile QB, look at what happened to Leftwich when he played.

Smashmouth (1/11/2008)
bulldogfalcon (1/11/2008)
I think you need to re-evaluate your signature.

Funny how ignorance follows the ignorant isn't it ;)

Never would have guessed it my man. But to the topic just like plenty "mature" posters have already stated, there is a difference between being mobile and being a scrambler. Vick was a scrambler and Steve McNair in his prime was just flat mobile. Dixon from what I seen after watching a full season of his play was extremely mobile, he didn't break the pocket unless flushed and every option was covered. Brings me to a play against USC, I believe it was third a about 8 in the third quarter he was being pressured, had an alley up the middle for about a 5 yard gain but instead bought time and hit his slot receiver downfield for a 20+ yard gain.

Have you seen our O-Line play?

Moreover...

If he used his head perhaps he'd know we want a QB that can get out of the way and/or make a play outta no play rather than take a sack and/or get hurt whilest throwing an int instead. :blink:

This topic is dumb as _hit :ermm:

bossFALCON (1/11/2008)
Greenwood (1/11/2008)

uh third round is when a lot of steals are made such as schaub and norwood. we cant just go out wasting third rounders. not saying he would be a waste but it would be a risk.

Since the draft is impossible to predict, I don't think it's risky at all.

I prefer Matt Ryan in round 1, but if we somehow don't take a QB in round 1, Dixon is almost a steal in the 3rd round.

The Ducks couldn't score a point after he got hurt.

halsey (1/11/2008)
I swear i've seen this same basic post 50 times over the last few months when discussing QB's:

"No way [insert the name of any QB who's not a good runner in college or the NFL] is overrated! We need to start Shockley next year and draft Dennis Dixon!"

WTH is wrong with so many Falcon fans. As if the only QB's who suceed in the NFL are QB's who can run for 50-100 yards a game. And why the **** would you be so confident in a running QB who is recovering from a blwon out knee. I mean...they blew out there knee....running....while playing QB.....but they are the future for the Falcons at QB.

Ridiculous.

its sad that you lack that much knowledge regarding the game of football

we want Dennis Dixon because he has one of the best arms in this draft, he is one of the best QB's in this draft. Dixon is a pocket QB just like Brohm, Ryan etc. Dixon is much different than Mike Vick, MUCH DIFFERENT! The injury thing is stupid.. Brohm blew out his knee a year & a half ago & came back just fine. The injury thing actually alots us to save some money & get this guy as a steal because otherwise he would have won the Heisman Trophy & National Championship & would probably have made a VY type jump to the top of the draft class. He is 6'4 & has already put on 10 lbs to his now 214 frame. Dixon's mobility is just the icing on top.

Never would have guessed it my man. But to the topic just like plenty "mature" posters have already stated, there is a difference between being mobile and being a scrambler. Vick was a scrambler and Steve McNair in his prime was just flat mobile. Dixon from what I seen after watching a full season of his play was extremely mobile, he didn't break the pocket unless flushed and every option was covered. Brings me to a play against USC, I believe it was third a about 8 in the third quarter he was being pressured, had an alley up the middle for about a 5 yard gain but instead bought time and hit his slot receiver downfield for a 20+ yard gain.

real talk