I went to the Giant's boards to see what they think about Spagnuolo

They seem to absolutely love the guy.

They are very concerned that he will leave and come here. They say that he has actually been the MVP of the whole team this year as a coach. When you get a bunch of New Yorkers singing your praises in unison like that, it says something.

This guy might be the real deal, who knows.

With all that being said, if Dallas beats them, all those same fans will be calling for his head on a platter.

rideordiefalcons (1/11/2008)
You mean the fans of recent world champion Giants???? Give me break...the guy would be coming from and average, middle of the road team....how great is he?

I will just say -- how great of a team was Mike Tomlin on last year? He kept the Steelers going this year. It doesn't always matter how bad the team is if the coach is well respected in the league circles.

You mean the fans of recent world champion Giants???? Give me break...the guy would be coming from and average, middle of the road team....how great is he?

In one season, he turned the Defense around. He has the entire team fired up and feeling confident. The team was looking quite mediocre under Coughlin and suddenly improved once Spags was hired.

The Giants are a serious threat to the Cowboys. There is a good chance that the 'Boys could go down this weekend. As Falcon fans, we should all be pulling for Dallas.

If the Giants lose, I can confidently say that it won't be the fault of their defense.

bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)

In one season, he turned the Defense around. He has the entire team fired up and feeling confident. The team was looking quite mediocre under Coughlin and suddenly improved once Spags was hired.

The Giants are a serious threat to the Cowboys. There is a good chance that the 'Boys could go down this weekend. As Falcon fans, we should all be pulling for Dallas.

If the Giants lose, I can confidently say that it won't be the fault of their defense.

Cowboys owns the giants number...The giants will choke as always.

He coached under Jim Johnson while he Eagles defense was doing so well and so far has the Giants defense playing better. He has the experience in the pros everyone is screaming about and he's been a coordinator. Heckert thinks very highly of him as well as Mara. If Heckert were to be the one hired as Gm then having a head coach who gets along with him will be a plus.

marvinthemartian (1/11/2008)
They seem to absolutely love the guy.

They are very concerned that he will leave and come here. They say that he has actually been the MVP of the whole team this year as a coach. When you get a bunch of New Yorkers singing your praises in unison like that, it says something.

This guy might be the real deal, who knows.

With all that being said, if Dallas beats them, all those same fans will be calling for his head on a platter.

You do understand what kind of Franchise that The Giants are..

If The Giants want to keep Spagnuolo, they would just fire their current Head Coach and promote him next week to the position (if they lose to The Cowboys).

They've won in the biggest Market in The NFL (and in the most popular division).

The Giants Franchise fired Dan Reeves a season removed from a NFC Champioship appearance! They are not locked-into "chrony-isms", or outward appearrances.

I doubt that The Falcons have him "sealed & ready for delivery"..

My guess = Garrett because The Cowboys have Wade Wilson to fall-back-on as Offensive Coordinator, and Romo has more good years to go with less wear & tear than most former 1st round QBs his age. They don't need to "groom" a youngster within their offense (that Garrett would leave behind).

I would not be shocked if the tandem is Garrett as Head Coach/OC, and Singletary as Assistant HC/Defensive Coordinator. That way Singletary could get great experience for another job, or The Falcons jo if Garrett bolts for Cowboys later-on.

Dirty DVD,

You may be right. I happen to think that the Giants would be better off firing Coughlin and promoting Spags. Then again they may not. Business is run on many levels. The Mara family is slowly losing its tight control of the franchise. They are not without power, but their grip has loosened over the past four years.

Chris Mara has pursued a career in personnel evaluation. He has been with the team for some time. He wants to become a GM, however, he was passed over recently for that position with the Giants. That is a clear indication that the Mara's are no longer in total control. Chris understands that and is looking to his future with a different eye.

Recently, Arthur "interviewed" Chris Mara for the GM position in ATL. I use the quotation marks because the interview was simply for public consumption. Chris is not ready to run a franchise yet and he knows it. He also knows that he can not count on the Giants to offer him the job in the near future. So, Arthur does the good deed and interviews Chris. Chris backs out very publicly and returns to his job.

In about two years, when everyone has forgotten all the details, Chris will once again appear as a candidate for another GM job. However, this time, he will have even more experience under his belt and his publicist will put the word out that he was a "finalist" in the GM search at ATL. In addition to that statement, he will also be able to claim that he backed out of consideration because "he did not feel that the situation was right for him." No one will doubt that statement because everyone will remember the Vick debacle.

So, in other words, Arthur did the Mara family a big favor. Chris gets to pad his resume a little. It looks very good that Chris was even considered for a GM job at such an early point in is career. Who knows, maybe the Falcons will have earned a better reputation by then.

Why do I mention this? Because Arthur may want to ask the Mara family to use their influence to let Spagnuolo go. The Giants may refuse to play along, but at least the chances of a return favor are good. So, you see, Arthur ain't stupid. He feels better that Spags is still a viable option, if McKay and he decide to pull the trigger.

This will all play out in the next two weeks. Let's sit back and see what happens.

No way the Giants would fire Coughlin in order to retain Spags. Coughlin has captained that ship through some very rough waters and his team actually seems to be playing well for him now. Sure the new DC helped out, but they replaced Barber, only have 1 really good wr who cannot practice, have a qb that was wildly inconsistent for the majority of the season, lost their starting TE, and now they're playing some good ball. Coughlin will get a multi year extension after this season even if they lose to Dallas by double digits.

Spagnuolo is a far greater choice for our HC than Garrett. Wasn't it you Mr Ethan who was blasting Singletary for his lack of experience? Well Garrett has around the same as Singletary. Look up Spagnuolo's work history. He's worked under Jim Johnson and been a coach of some really good defenses for longer than Garrett and Singletay combined and some. Garrett is a product of having a really good team already built for him. All he did was get TO more involved. Big whoop.