The West Coast Offense will return if Spagnuolo gets the job

he hate me

Would you like to see the return of the West Coast Offense?

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the West Coast Offense now Vick is out of the picture. It was like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Is Roddy White a good fit for the WCO? He broke out after we stopped running the WCO. This concerns me.

Alge Crumpler should become a bigger part of the offense again with the return of the WCO. The TE was not a big part of Petrino's system.

Perhaps Matt Ryan will be our pick, Coach Jags compared him to Matt Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck runs the WCO in Seattle.

he hate me (1/11/2008)

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the West Coast Offense now Vick is out of the picture. It was like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Is Roddy White a good fit for the WCO? He broke out after we stopped running the WCO. This concerns me.

Alge Crumpler should become a bigger part of the offense again with the return of the WCO. The TE was not a big part of Petrino's system.

Perhaps Matt Ryan will be our pick, Coach Jags compared him to Matt Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck runs the WCO in Seattle.

Roddy doesn't worry me in the WCO. He actually showed signs of being a good WCO receiver by breaking tackles & getting YAC. I think his problem while Vick was here is that he was only thrown to 2 or 3 times a game & it became a mental thing if he made a drop or bad play, on top of trying to stay focused while we ran so much. I think if we run a WCO that passes normally, he'll be fine.

Crump, I think he can flourish in the system as long as his knees will hold up.

And Ryan would be a perfect guy to run that.

bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)
Who is Pat Shurmur and what is his relationship with Spags?

The WCO blends well with zone blocking. This could be a big deal.

Pat Shurmur

Quarterbacks Coach

The 42-year-old Shurmur is in his sixth season as the Eagles quarterbacks coach and his ninth as member of Andy Reid's staff.

In this role, he has helped Donovan McNabb earn three of his five Pro Bowl berths. In 2004, McNabb turned in the most productive season of his career, establishing franchise records in QB rating (104.7), completion pct. (64.0), and passing yards (3,875). In fact, McNabb became the only quarterback in NFL history to have a season with 30-plus TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (8).

In 2002, Shurmur earned praise for his poise displayed after McNabb and Koy Detmer went down with injuries late in the season. Down to little-used A.J. Feeley, who had not started since his junior year at Oregon, the Eagles went 4-1 down the stretch. Feeley, a 5th-round draft choice in 2001, was traded to Miami in 2004 for a 2nd-round pick in 2005.

Similarly, Shurmur withstood another McNabb injury in 2006 and helped back-up Jeff Garcia step into the starting role and lead the Eagles to a 6-2 record (including playoffs). Prior to his injury, McNabb was an early-season candidate for league MVP honors, topping the NFL charts in most passing statistical categories.

His first three seasons in Philadelphia were spent as the Eagles' tight ends coach, helping develop three-time Pro Bowler Chad Lewis.

An All-Big Ten conference center and team captain at Michigan State, Shurmur joined Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia in 1999 after an 11-year stint as a college assistant.

Shurmur spent the 1998 season at Stanford as an offensive line coach in charge of the centers and guards. Under his tutelage, the Cardinal offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per pass attempt in the PAC 10 and, in the process, helped first-year quarterback Todd Husak become the third quarterback in Stanford history to throw for over 3,000 yards in a season.

Prior to his tenure at Stanford, Shurmur spent nine seasons at Michigan State instructing the tight ends, special teams, and offensive line. Under his guidance, MSU developed three tight ends that went on to the NFL: Ty Hallock, Duane Young, and Mitch Lyons. In addition, Shurmur helped Derrick Mason establish a school record with 2,575 career kickoff return yards.

Shurmur himself was a four-year letter winner at Michigan State, earning All-Big Ten conference and honorable mention All-America honors in 1987. That same year, Shurmur co-captained a Spartans squad that defeated USC in the Rose Bowl. A solid student as well, he earned his MBA in financial administration. As such, the Dearborn Heights, MI, native became the first graduate student to play at MSU.

After signing as a rookie free agent with Green Bay in 1988, Shurmur was released during training camp and subsequently began his coaching career, becoming a graduate assistant with the Spartans that fall.

A product of Divine Child High School in Dearborn, Pat comes from a football family. His uncle, the late Fritz Shurmur, served as the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator from 1994-98 and helped that club win two NFC championships and one Super Bowl title.

Born 4/14/65, Pat and his wife, Jennifer (a former swimmer at Michigan State), have four children, daughters Allyson (14), Erica (13) and Claire (4), and son Kyle (10).

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/Coa...asp?coach_id=13

BigSlick (1/11/2008)
Not that I don't believe you, but how could you know this?

Paul Domowitch: Sources say Heckert favorite to be Falcons GM

by Paul Domowitch

Philadelphia Daily News

EAGLES general manager Tom Heckert still appears to be the leading candidate to get the Atlanta Falcons' GM job once owner Arthur Blank ends his wild goose chase for Southern California coach Pete Carroll.

According to two league sources, the Falcons could offer the job to Heckert as soon as this weekend. The team interviewed several other personnel executives in the last 2 weeks, including Patriots director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff, Packers pro personnel director Reggie McKenzie, Packers personnel analyst to the general manager John Schneider and Jaguars director of college scouting Gene Smith.

Chris Mara, the Giants' vice president of player evaluation, withdrew his name from consideration yesterday. He wasn't believed to be a serious candidate.

While Blank also has interviewed candidates for the head-coaching vacancy while conducting his search for a general manager, the new GM will select the coach.

If Heckert gets the job, his top head-coaching candidate is believed to be Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Spagnuolo spent eight years as an assistant on Andy Reid's Eagles staff before taking the Giants job last January.

Heckert is thought to be the main reason the Falcons asked the Giants for permission to speak with Spagnuolo this week. The Giants turned them down, which means Atlanta can't interview him until after his team is eliminated from the playoffs.

"In our opinion, and in Steve's as well, this is not the time [to interview]," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "Steve's focus and concentration, as it should be, is right on this game, just like we all are. He and I spoke about this, and he is the guy that brought it up first. He said, 'I don't want to be distracted at this point in time with anything.' "

If Heckert is hired and he hires Spagnuolo, the Eagles could lose at least one other valuable employee. Quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur is thought to be on the short list of people Spagnuolo would consider as his offensive coordinator.

If Heckert takes the Falcons job, it's uncertain whether the Eagles would replace him with someone inside the organization or go outside. The logical in-house replacement is vice president of player personnel Jason Licht.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...Falcons_GM.html

I found this info on the Eagles website:

Pat Shurmur

Quarterbacks Coach

The 42-year-old Shurmur is in his sixth season as the Eagles quarterbacks coach and his ninth as member of Andy Reid's staff.

In this role, he has helped Donovan McNabb earn three of his five Pro Bowl berths. In 2004, McNabb turned in the most productive season of his career, establishing franchise records in QB rating (104.7), completion pct. (64.0), and passing yards (3,875). In fact, McNabb became the only quarterback in NFL history to have a season with 30-plus TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (8).

In 2002, Shurmur earned praise for his poise displayed after McNabb and Koy Detmer went down with injuries late in the season. Down to little-used A.J. Feeley, who had not started since his junior year at Oregon, the Eagles went 4-1 down the stretch. Feeley, a 5th-round draft choice in 2001, was traded to Miami in 2004 for a 2nd-round pick in 2005.

Similarly, Shurmur withstood another McNabb injury in 2006 and helped back-up Jeff Garcia step into the starting role and lead the Eagles to a 6-2 record (including playoffs). Prior to his injury, McNabb was an early-season candidate for league MVP honors, topping the NFL charts in most passing statistical categories.

His first three seasons in Philadelphia were spent as the Eagles' tight ends coach, helping develop three-time Pro Bowler Chad Lewis.

An All-Big Ten conference center and team captain at Michigan State, Shurmur joined Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia in 1999 after an 11-year stint as a college assistant.

Shurmur spent the 1998 season at Stanford as an offensive line coach in charge of the centers and guards. Under his tutelage, the Cardinal offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per pass attempt in the PAC 10 and, in the process, helped first-year quarterback Todd Husak become the third quarterback in Stanford history to throw for over 3,000 yards in a season.

Prior to his tenure at Stanford, Shurmur spent nine seasons at Michigan State instructing the tight ends, special teams, and offensive line. Under his guidance, MSU developed three tight ends that went on to the NFL: Ty Hallock, Duane Young, and Mitch Lyons. In addition, Shurmur helped Derrick Mason establish a school record with 2,575 career kickoff return yards.

Shurmur himself was a four-year letter winner at Michigan State, earning All-Big Ten conference and honorable mention All-America honors in 1987. That same year, Shurmur co-captained a Spartans squad that defeated USC in the Rose Bowl. A solid student as well, he earned his MBA in financial administration. As such, the Dearborn Heights, MI, native became the first graduate student to play at MSU.

After signing as a rookie free agent with Green Bay in 1988, Shurmur was released during training camp and subsequently began his coaching career, becoming a graduate assistant with the Spartans that fall.

A product of Divine Child High School in Dearborn, Pat comes from a football family. His uncle, the late Fritz Shurmur, served as the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator from 1994-98 and helped that club win two NFC championships and one Super Bowl title.

Born 4/14/65, Pat and his wife, Jennifer (a former swimmer at Michigan State), have four children, daughters Allyson (14), Erica (13) and Claire (4), and son Kyle (10).

He has coached the OL. I'd be interested to find out which scheme he likes to run.

bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)

West Coast pedigree makes Shurmur a sure thing

JACKSONVILLE Trace the lineage of the quarterbacks coach in the West Coast offense. The end result is predictable. Quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator is almost guaranteed. Quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator to head coach is a strong possibility.

Steve Mariucci was the QB coach in Green Bay and skipped the offensive coordinators position when San Francisco hired him as the head coach.

Marty Mornhinweg followed a path similar to Holmgren QB coach in Green Bay, offensive coordinator in San Francisco and head coach in Detroit.

Mike Holmgren was in charge of the quarterbacks in San Francisco, then the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, then the head coach in Green Bay.

Andy Reid coached the quarterbacks in Green Bay before taking the top job in Philadelphia.

To the chase: If you're a quarterbacks coach in a West Coast offense, career advancement awaits.

So, here's Pat Shurmur, never a quarterback at any level during his playing days and never a quarterbacks coach at any level before his current gig, coaching Philadelphia's quarterbacks.

"Pat has done a heck of job," Reid said. "It's not easy filling in for Brad Childress. I know Donovan (McNabb) has a lot of respect for Pat."

After raving about his assistants and the possibility that Childress, the Eagles' offensive coordinator, may someday get a head coaching job and that Shurmur may become an offensive coordinator in the NFL or a head coach in college, Reid said, "I'm not trying to sell off my whole staff. I feel like I'm at an auction."

Maybe one day, Shurmur will be Reid's offensive coordinator. Maybe one day, Shurmur will get a job elsewhere.

"I can't be a good quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles if I'm spending my times doing someone else's job," Shurmur said.

It's plain to see McNabb's improvement in the last few seasons, especially this season when he passed for 3,875 yards, 31 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He completed 64% of his passes and finished with a QB rating of 104.7, the 16th-best rating in NFL history. McNabb set career highs in yards, touchdowns, completion percentage and QB rating.

McNabb is talented and his stats are just the result of his development. But the role of the quarterbacks coach cannot be discounted.

"Pat's an important conduit to Donovan because he has his pulse on a day-to-day basis," Childress said. "He's sitting in meetings with him every day. Pat does a great job of relaying Donovan's thoughts to us and our thoughts to him."

Childress wasn't concerned that Shurmur never played quarterback or had no experiencing coaching quarterbacks until the 2002 season.

"He's the same kind of student of the game that Andy was," Childress said. "You can be taught. You can learn. He's still in that process. But he's able to give input, and he certainly gives plenty of input."

It's not a huge surprise Shurmur is where he is. Coaching is in the family. His uncle, Fritz Shurmur, was Green Bay's defensive coordinator when Reid was an offensive assistant for the Packers. In the early '90s, Shurmur coached the offensive line, tight ends at special teams at Michigan State. When the family visited Fritz in Green Bay, Shurmur stopped by Reid's office.

"I started the interview process with Andy way back when," Shurmur said. "When Andy had an opportunity to be a head coach, I moved up the ranks."

In 1999, Reid hired Shurmur from Stanford, where Shurmur coached the offensive line. Shurmur started out as the Eagles' offensive line and tight ends coach. He moved into the QB job when Rod Dowhower retired and Childress was promoted from QB coach to offensive coordinator (take note of Childress' career path).

"I'd like to think I've had some effect on Donovan," Shurmur said. "It's very important with all the things quarterbacks have to do that they're able to see it in a simple way. I try to simplify for it him. I'd like to think my simple demeanor and simple lifestyle has rubbed off on him."

In the film room and practice, Shurmur will tell McNabb what to look for and what to do in certain situations.

If a cornerback or safety does this, McNabb should look for that. If a linebacker does this, McNabb should watch for that.

"You want him to have some recall because there are constantly new things happening," Shurmur said. "The other thing I try to do is remain very calm around him. It's the way I am. It's easy to get excited as a quarterback. You're going to play 60, 70 plays, and every once in a while, you're going to have a bad play. So hey, forget about it, move on and make the next play your best."

It's that even-keeled temperament that impresses backup quarterback Koy Detmer.

"From a psychological standpoint, he does a great job of making all of us quarterbacks, particularly Donovan, relaxed about the game plan and all the different situations that could come up in a game," Detmer said. "He doesn't get all worked about whether it's good or bad. You're going to have highs and lows. Lots of things are going on, and you've got to be able to stay calm."

McNabb played coy when asked what Shurmur's biggest asset is.

"Pat does an excellent job with just coming up with different routines," McNabb said.

Those routines are?

"That's an in-house secret. I can't let that out of the bag. Maybe other coaches will try to do it."

Or maybe other coaches will want to make Shurmur their offensive coordinator.

"I'd like to progress to the point where I can be a head football coach someday," Shurmur said. "Until that day comes, I'm excited about being the quarterbacks coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I've always believed those aren't jobs you chase, those aren't jobs you make phone calls about or exert influence to get. If a team owner, university president or board of trustees member looks at you and says 'This guy has the vision to be a head coach,' they come looking for you. That's going to be my approach."

Given the track record of previous West Coast quarterbacks coaches, there's a strong chance someone will come looking for Shurmur.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/z...-zillgitt_x.htm

bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)

The Eagles have a big offensive line.

#72 William Thomas | OT

Weight: 335 lbs.

#79 Todd Herremans | OG

Weight: 321 lbs.

#67 Jamaal Jackson | C

Weight: 330 lbs.

#73 Shawn Andrews | OG

Weight: 335 lbs.

#69 Jon Runyan | OT

Weight: 330 lbs.

BigSlick (1/11/2008)
Not that I don't believe you, but how could you know this?

Heckert leaving?

EAGLES GM TO INTERVIEW WITH ATLANTA FALCONS

By Bob Grotz, For The Reporter

If the search follows form, Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank and front office executive Rich McKay should be swooping into Philadelphia Monday aboard Blank s jet to interview Eagles general manager Tom Heckert.

If the talks go well, Heckert eventually could be flying south to Dixie with an Eagles assistant coach or two. Could Donovan McNabb be far behind?

At the least the early signs are promising for Heckert, the resident of Chadds Ford, as he s among the elite candidates to succeed McKay as G.M. of the Falcons, according to sources.

Blank and McKay already have interviewed personnel executives Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider of the Green Bay Packers, and assistant general manager Chris Polian, the son of Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian. The Polian meeting was Thursday.

Advertisement

McKenzie was most impressive during the Green Bay interviews, according to an NFL source, and may well be the early leader in the clubhouse.

Blank and McKay also are interviewing head coaching candidates from teams with byes to replace Bobby Petrino, who quit before the end of the season to take a job with Arkansas. They got together with Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell Thursday and today meet with Cowboys assistant coaches Jason Tony Sparano and Jason Garrett today in Dallas.

The general manager likely will have considerable input in choosing the next head coach as McKay did when he went with Petrino. The Falcons are conducting parallel interviews with the coaches due to NFL rules.

Heckert, true to his low-key profile, could not be reached for comment. He s spent seven years with the Eagles, the last two as general manager.

During an end of the season interview Wednesday Heckert was blatantly optimistic about the future of the Eagles, who won their last three games to finish 8-8.

There were times we played well and times we didn t play well, Heckert said. I think the last three games it wasn t just that we won the games. Defensively we played really well. We got to see some of those young linebackers and that s obviously a positive. And Donovan (McNabb) was back to his form before coming off his knee injury. You can t throw away the first 13 games but you can look at a lot of positives that came out of those last three games. And we played some good teams, too.

The Eagles finished the season with victories over the NFC East champion Dallas Cowboys, the New Orleans Saints and the Buffalo Bills. Only the Cowboys had a winning record, but the Saints were in control of their playoff destiny.

If Blank doesn t know already, McKay will tell him NFL teams employing Heckert have had just one losing season in 16 years in 2005 with the Eagles.

Additionally, unlike the high-profile McKay, who helped the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win a Super Bowl, Heckert is content to stay in the background.

Consequently Heckert is much less known around the league although he s considered very professional a chip off the old block of his father Tom.

Heckert worked 10 years in personnel with the Miami Dolphins, the franchise that employed his father in personnel for 13 of his 20 years in the league.

With the Eagles, Heckert s drafts have produced four Pro Bowl players - cornerback Lito Sheppard, safety Mike Lewis, guard Shawn Andrews and running back Brian Westbrook. Another pick, defensive end Trent Cole, had 12 1-2 sacks and could wind up in Honolulu at the end of the season as an addition.

Heckert has worked smoothly with Reid, although there have been times the 40-year-old G.M. has wanted the veteran coaching staff to expedite playing time for draft picks and younger players.

Eagles defensive tackles Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley are among the recent first-round picks Heckert is most proud of.

Patterson played right away and is emerging as a star. Bunkley played at a high level this past season after barely getting on the field as a rookie and coming across as a potential bust.

Heckert was testy when asked if the play of the defensive line this past season exceeded expectations.

Your expectations, Heckert said. Ours? No. We told you we liked Bunkley. We told you we liked Patterson. We knew they were good players. It really wasn t a surprise to us.

Blank, a co-founder of Home Depot, is said to be close with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie. Their management styles are strikingly similar according to sources, as both enjoy participating in personnel meetings, interviewing free agents and participating in the player draft.

Blank, however, is a bit of a Jerry Jones wannabe in that he likes to stand on the sideline during games. A few years back Blank pushed injured quarterback Mike Vick around in a wheelchair on the Falcons sideline on national TV.

Vick since has been suspended by the league and is in jail on dog-fighting charges and is no longer welcome at the Georgia Dome.

Quarterback is one of the issues the next G.M. of the Falcons must resolve. Speaking of passers, if anyone knows how much football McNabb has left in the tank, and how much he would be worth in a trade, it s Heckert. The Falcons could pick as high as third in the draft, depending on a coin flip.

If Heckert leaves the Eagles, vice president of player personnel Jason Licht and director of pro personnel Scott Cohen could be candidates to succeed him, along with pro personnel scout Jon Sandusky.

If Heckert wanted to raid the Eagles coaching staff, quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur and linebackers coach Sean McDermott are on the verge of being coordinators.

http://www.thereporteronline.com/WebApp/ap...ath=/TRO/Sports

formul8or (1/11/2008)
I think Jenkins is better in the WCO, but White could regress some.
Huh?......How?

Look, every team at some time uses some aspect of the west coast offense. It's not the ground breaking offense it was in the early 80s. I suspect we will start to see more spread offense proliferate in the league in the next several years. I doubt there will be one team that uses it exclusively, but every team will utilize some aspect of it at some time. The NFL is a copy cat league so to throw out terms like "west coast offense" is not really saying much......

Chris Redman might absolutely f*** teams up in a WCO. He has a good but not great arm, but very good accuracy, is very decisive and releases the ball quick. He would do well if he didnt regress.

We actually have good WCO personnel. Jerious Norwood would shine with an Eagles influence here.

grendel (1/11/2008)
he hate me (1/11/2008)

What do you mean by "return"? I think the biggest problem with Knapp was that he didn't understand the WCO, so when he tried to "modify" it for the zone blocking / cut blocking, he just screwed the whole thing up. We didn't pass to the backs coming out of the backfield, we didn't use slants and quick outs, etc. We basically neutered the WCO and became a run-first offense (the opposite of the WCO) and couldn't get anything going. Knapp should be arrested for impersonating an Offensive Coordinator.

knapp had to adjust his offense to vick's skills. vick's strength was running not throwing. knapp's offense looked different when schaub was under center.

he hate me (1/11/2008)

Spagnuolo is a Defensive coach. Why do you think the WCO is an automatic?

1989fan (1/11/2008)
Chris Redman might absolutely f*** teams up in a WCO. He has a good but not great arm, but very good accuracy, is very decisive and releases the ball quick. He would do well if he didnt regress.

We actually have good WCO personnel. Jerious Norwood would shine with an Eagles influence here.

I agree with you.

SoCalFalconFan (1/11/2008)
he hate me (1/11/2008)

Spagnuolo is a Defensive coach. Why do you think the WCO is an automatic?

i think there is a great chance he gets his oc from the eagles.

grendel (1/11/2008)
he hate me (1/11/2008)

What do you mean by "return"? I think the biggest problem with Knapp was that he didn't understand the WCO, so when he tried to "modify" it for the zone blocking / cut blocking, he just screwed the whole thing up. We didn't pass to the backs coming out of the backfield, we didn't use slants and quick outs, etc. We basically neutered the WCO and became a run-first offense (the opposite of the WCO) and couldn't get anything going. Knapp should be arrested for impersonating an Offensive Coordinator.

knapp had to adjust his offense to vick's skills. vick's strength was running not throwing. knapp's offense looked different when schaub was under center.

Look, I don't want to get into a big Vick argument, but Knapp's use of Vick in the offense was horrendous. Even with Schaub in there, his offensive play design was horrible and his use of the weapons in the offense was criminally negligent. Vick could make all of the throws Schaub could, but Knapp decided it would be fun to get cute and run a spread option offense... combined with a WCO and ZBS... It was a Frankenstein's monster of an offense, only Frankenstein's monster was designed by a genius scientist and our offense was designed by a ******, so it couldn't even get to the walking around and scaring people part...

imho knapp was a scapegoat for vick. vick played at least 12 games a year in ideal conditions, including at least 10 games in a dome and had a comp % under 60. it's not like he was playing 8 games at giants stadium a year.

knapps offense could have worked with the right qb.

Im not very excited about the wco to be honest. I would like a stand up smashem O and D lines. More along the lines of what dallas and jacksonville run. Thats just my personal opinion. I think you can find more guys to work in that type of offense in the draft. Other than the bucs few years back, the WCO is not doing as well as it once did. I think it takes really special players to make it work and we are from from that. Like BP or not, he put in place a type of guy that he wanted for this team. Going back and foorurth on systems is going to put this team further in the hole than MV going to prison. For example justin blaylock doesnt get drafted probably if there running WCO.