Medai Bias and Pile Jumping

This snip-it was taken from John Clayton's article titled "Schwartz has inside track on job" found here.

Right the ship in Atlanta: The Falcons flirtation with USC coach Pete Carroll wasn't damaging in any way, but it was an unnecessary waste of time for the Falcons. The Falcons need to hire their general manager and move forward with the head coach hiring process. Now, they look like a ship without control. Carroll wasn't going to go to Atlanta because it's probably going to take time to rebuild the roster. If Carroll is going to get back to the NFL, he's doing it to prove he can win at this level, not just be 8-8 or 9-7. It's going to take the Falcons a couple years to re-establish their offense.

It kills me to continue reading about how it is going to take time to rebuild this team. Seems like no one in the media can remember that we had almost our entire offensive line went down due to injury, our best interior defensive lineman got injured a day after the draft (Coleman) and we had several rookies that were playing every Sunday as well. Not to mention the #7 saga that the team had to deal with which also happened after the draft so we couldn't make any moves to solidify the position. Therefore, we go into the season w/a duck at QB, a second year player who had never started and NFL game and only started one year in College and a 3rd string qb who wasn't even in football last year.

If this organization had one ounce of good luck at least one of the injuries or suspension would have come before the draft or during a decent time when some quality F.A.'s are available.

This year will be much different. There is no way the organization doesn't see the personnel upgrades that need to be made. None of them are so significant that they can't be corrected through a solid draft and some wise F.A. moves. If this team can pickup a solid qb, and yes I support the acquisition of a veteran like McNabb, and solidify the lines by adding a vet like Faneca or someone near his talent level and then adding the other pieces through the draft we will be in great shape to compete for the division. We have enough draft picks to add some key cogs to the ship. The NFC South is still a division that is up and down and there is no reason that with the right leadership this team will be back in the running for the playoffs next year.

Thoughts?

My thoughts would be that it will take at least 2 full years before your team is even a .500 ballclub. Mckay has not only left you with little cap space, he also failed to upgrade your personnel. Your roster is void of talent everywhere and it's going to take a monster effort to clean up the mess.

You team is a mess, without a GM or HC. There won't be any FA's that would want to go to ATL, it's too much of a mess so you're stuck with the draft. That takes time and as McKay showed you how hard that is. He hasn't hit on a pick yet, it's hilarious.

I agree with the poster's comments. If we can cut or restructure some of the verterans contracts, it will open some cap room for FA. The draft can fill numerous holes that can put pieces in position for a solid future, which in the NFL can start next year. We may not be Super Bowl material next year, but I don't think a drastic improvement is out of reach either. Look at the Browns and Bucs from this year-who predicted that? Probably very few. It's just that we have had some major bad luck and everyone is getting their shots in now, which will make it that much sweeter when it does get turned around...

Jigga Donkey (1/11/2008)
My thoughts would be that it will take at least 2 full years before your team is even a .500 ballclub. Mckay has not only left you with little cap space, he also failed to upgrade your personnel. Your roster is void of talent everywhere and it's going to take a monster effort to clean up the mess.

You team is a mess, without a GM or HC. There won't be any FA's that would want to go to ATL, it's too much of a mess so you're stuck with the draft. That takes time and as McKay showed you how hard that is. He hasn't hit on a pick yet, it's hilarious.

all you do is try and put this team down. why are you on these message boards?

Seems like no one in the media can remember that we had almost our entire offensive line went down due to injury,

You're acting like we lost a bunch of all-pros to injury. This roster is very thing to begin with and what little depth we did have was completely screwed up when they brought in Petrino.

When your backup left tackle is an undrafted free agent that is not a good thing.

The reason the media is bashing us is because we're giving them plenty of ammo.

And there is no quick fix for this team. We have to rebuild the o-line and we're talking multiple positions. Just adding one isn't going to do it.

As of now we have no idea what kind of offensive or defensive scheme we're going to run. Therefore we don't know if any of the personnel will fit the new shemes.

Again, thanks to Petirno, the team no longer has an identity. Before we were a zone blocking running team and we had peices in place for it. Then Petirno comes in and begins to dismantle that.

Now we're not a running team... and we're not a passing team. Thanks to you know who, (Pretendo), we no longer have a foundation to build on.

Whoever comes here basically has to start over...

I laugh every time i read a post about who we should draft or sign. Until we get a GM, and HC, it is all silly speculation, and wishful thinking. The poster who said this team is a mess hit it right on the head, if it's a mess you need to face reality and call it a mess, and right now this team is a serious mess. Anybody who thinks this team is going to get turned around in one year with one player, or even one draft is simply out of touch.

I'm not even gonna read any more posts about draft picks or FA signings until we FIRST have a GM, and then a HC who is commited to this team, and building a winning franchise that will be around for years to come. THAT folks is not done overnight or through one draft, it may start with one draft, but anybody who thinks this team is going anywhere next year is dillusional. With the right person heading this ship, and the Right coach on the sideline, we may very well be respectable next year, but my optimism is sinking with each person we interview, or offer the job who declines. Player personnel is useless to discuss until you see who is gonna be calling the plays, and what type of Offense, and Defense they want to run, first things first people.

Jigga Donkey (1/11/2008)

NOBODY ASKED FOR YOUR THOUGHTS. BECAUSE YOU FIRST HAVE TO HAVE A BRAIN. GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS TO TAMPA. YOU ARE A BUC FAN. YOU GOT BANED FROM THEIR BOARDS, AND WE'RE WORKING ON GETTING YOU BANED HERE. ..... KEEP IT UP ..... AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS;)