Mock Draft

bam_19

It's clear we have some major holes on this team, and well it appears were going to be rebuilding over the next two years. In this draft I hope the lay the ground work for that, and I hope our front office does as well (when we get one, honestly i read an article about terrance mathis wanting the job I wouldnt' be totally against it atleast he loves the team). I am going to do this draft wiht the picks we currently have I'm not going to speculate on what we get for Kerney (i really hope it's a thrid). I also think the Falcons should try to trade down and pick up an extra second as the second round of this draft is deep. So here we go.

Round 1 - Sedrick Ellis -DT-USC-6'1-305-4.96- Best DT IMO, would help in every aspect along the line.

Round 2 - Sam Baker -OT-USC -6'5 -307-5.15- A technician is needed at LT and this guy is that.

Round 2 - Jamal Charles -RB-Texas-6'1-205-4.39-A RB with quick cuts and good vision who is solid after first contact

Round 3 - John David Booty -QB-USC-6'3-210-4.92-Played against top competition, No QB jumps out I feel he has a good shot with the right coaching

Round 4 - Darrell Robertson -DE-GT-6'5-245-4.78- An edge rusher to help us get after the QB (the robert mathis mold)

Round 4 - Heath Benedict -OG/OT-Newberry-6'6-328-4.92 - Great Athlete, weak competition boom or bust (boom if he lives up to potential)

Round 5 - Jo-Lonn Dunbar -ILB-BC-6'1-228-4.79-Depth potential middle linebacker

Round 6 - Brandon Coutu -K-UGA-6'0-200-5.10-Big leg solves a big problem

Round 7 - Bobbie Williams -FS-Bethune-Cookman-6'0-214-4.55-Project saftey who has exclled agaisnt lower competiton

Round 7- Matt Flynn -QB-LSU-6'3-227-4.70-Developmental Pick, played against top comp, lack of experience.

Well there it is folks, Also I will stat right now i'm not a USC fan at all it just sort of worked out that way.

bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)
Sam Baker dropping into our hands in the second round would be amazing.

I'm not a Baker fan , I would want Otah , Oher or Loadholt with that pick , or Chris Williams . Baker I think will be exsposed in the NFL. I could be wrong , I just don't like the thought of chancing it with our 34th pick.

BigSlick (1/11/2008)
I am acutally the opposite DW. I would shy away from someone like Flacco in favor of Booty.

The draft overall isn't bad. I don't agree with Ellis though in the top 5.

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32Player Pos. School Grade

1. Darren McFadden* RB Arkansas 99

2. Chris Long DE Virginia 98

3. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 98

4. Sedrick Ellis DT USC 97 :Whistling:

5. Matt Ryan QB Boston Coll. 97

6. Jake Long OT Michigan 97

7. James Laurinaitis* ILB Ohio State 96

8. Brian Brohm QB Louisville 96

9. Vernon Gholston* DE Ohio State 95

10. Andre Woodson Jr. QB Kentucky 95

11. Malcolm Jenkins* CB Ohio State 95

12. Derrick Harvey* DE Florida 95

13. Ryan Clady* OT Boise St. 95

14. Kenny Phillips* S Miami 94

15. DeSean Jackson* WR California 94

16. Rey Maualuga* ILB USC 94

17. Calais Campbell* DE Miami 94

18. Keith Rivers OLB USC 94

19. Mike Jenkins CB S. Florida 93

20. Dan Connor OLB Penn State 93

21. Limas Sweed WR Texas 93

22. Early Doucet III WR LSU 92

23. Felix Jones* RB Arkansas 92

24. Jeffrey Otah OT Pittsburgh 92

25. Samuel Baker OT USC 91

26. Malcolm Kelly* WR Oklahoma 91

27. Aqib Talib* CB Kansas 91

28. Ali Highsmith OLB LSU 91

29. Jonathan Stewart* RB Oregon 90

30. Michael Oher OT Mississippi 90

31. Mario Manningham* WR Michigan 90

32. John Carlson TE Notre Dame 90

* Denotes draft-eligible underclassmen

Draftnut57 (1/11/2008)
BigSlick (1/11/2008)
I am acutally the opposite DW. I would shy away from someone like Flacco in favor of Booty.

Well if there is a list that has him in the top five then that changes everything. Someone's made up list doesn't make a top 5 prospect. Sorry.

grendel (1/11/2008)
BigSlick (1/11/2008)
Draftnut57 (1/11/2008)
BigSlick (1/11/2008)

Well if there is a list that has him in the top five then that changes everything. Someone's made up list doesn't make a top 5 prospect. Sorry.

Scouts, Inc. is not "someone's made up list", although they've also sipped the Matt Ryan Koolaid...

Yes, it is definitely a made up list. So is THR and all the other draft websites. I have no proof of this, but I bet we can find just as many lists with Ellis out of the top5 as there are with him in the top5.

1 +255 RB 1 *Darren McFadden 6-2 210 4.4 - - Arkansas 1 -

2 -1 DT 1 Glenn Dorsey 6-2 296 5.1 - - LSU 2 -

3 -1 OT 1 Jake Long 6-7 322 5.0 - - Michigan - -

4 +3 DE 1 Chris Long 6-4 280 4.8 - - Virginia 1 -

5 +31 QB 1 Matt Ryan 6-5 224 4.8 - - Boston College - -

6 -3 QB 2 Brian Brohm 6-3 225 4.7 - - Louisville 3 -

7 +8 QB 3 Andre Woodson 6-5 232 4.7 - - Kentucky 2 -

8 +248 DE 2 *Calais Campbell 6-8 282 4.8 - - Miami - -

9 +247 WR 1 *DeSean Jackson 6-0 178 4.4 - - California - -

10 +3 DT 2 Sedrick Ellis 6-1 285 4.8 - - USC - -

THR has him @ 10 on their value board. Does this prove my point that he is not a top5 player in the draft? No.

It's ok if someone disagrees. I just don't feel that he is worthy of being a top 5 pick. It's ok if you do.

Yeah, but you have to look at the most respected scouts out there. Obviously when Scouts Inc, Scott Wright, and NFL Draft Scout all have him ranked 4th, 5th, and 5th, respectively, you have to take notice. I think we have to get someone to help our investment in Jamaal Anderson and Sedrick Ellis would be perfect to do that. I'm not saying he's my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset in the least.

Not bad overall.

I'd agree with Ellis, but only if Dorsey & J. Long were gone.

A little too much USC for my taste, but can't disagree at all with Baker.

Charles IMO is not a fit for what we need here at RB, too similar to what Norwood already brings to the table.

JDB, not a good pick IMO. The guy with good coaching could make a decent clipboard holder, but I don't see much more than that out of him.

I'm a Benedict fan, and I think he'll be a good OG prospect, but will need a year on the P/S.

Coutu is a decent pick, but the injury thing still scares me. I've actually changed my mind on the kicker I want here. I wanted Alexis Serna, but now I want Taylor Mehlhaff from Wisconsin. Not only did Taylor kick 84% of his FG's, but he was 4th in the country in touchbacks on his kickoffs, and #1 among draft eligible players. Both his accuracy, and of course his touchback percentage are much higher than Coutu or Carmody (the top 2 talked about guys on this board). In fact, neither of those 2 made the top 20 in touchback percentage (the cutoff was 21.4%).

Draftnut57 (1/11/2008)
bgarcia28 (1/11/2008)
Sam Baker dropping into our hands in the second round would be amazing.

I'm not a Baker fan , I would want Otah , Oher or Loadholt with that pick , or Chris Williams . Baker I think will be exsposed in the NFL. I could be wrong , I just don't like the thought of chancing it with our 34th pick.

I just chose this one to quote but Will respond to a lot of comments.

With Baker I Chose him simply because out of all the guys I think he has the best technique (plus being west coast I seen him play quite a bit). I like what he bring he gets in on the Run game and is technically sound with with quick feet in the passing game. However I strongly considered Otah here.

JDB I knew I would take flack for that one, but all the QB's in the draft have questions marks (brohm is my favorite but no value at 3-5). With all of them having question marks I took the guy who performed best against good competition. I like flacco and I almost stuck him in there but he comes from D2 (not that he can't be good but its a compeletely different game just to D1 let alone the NFL) Again I've seen JDB play some and if he can become a touch more consistent I think he can be a good NFL QB not a superstar but Good. Also comparing his stats to a guy like Henne JDB performed much better against ranked competition.

AS for the Kicker situation I was sorta up in the air on who to pick I just want one of them. Coutu seemed to have good fg% and he can boom it hitting a 58 yarder.

AS for the Ellis pick I firmly believe he will do for anderson what Okoye has done for Williams. Plus mroe because I believe he plays the run better and is stronger.

Quick Edit as I forgot about the Charles pick, true he is like Norwood but I think he can be a feature back where I don't have that belief with Norwood. Charles looks has quick feet and great vision and is tough after first contact, plus again when comparing stats he did very well against his ranked opponents.

BigSlick (1/11/2008)

i don't agree with Ellis as top 5 either for a couple of reasons. First, while he is a tremendous athlete and player, he is going to be a system guy in the NFL. He likes the height and bulk for a 3-4 DE, and he is really only an UT one gap penetrator in the NFL...ala...Tampa Bay or Indy. The lack of bulk will kill him other wise. And unless he is a one gap guy then why draft him. 2 gap responsibilities or 3-4 looks negate his athleticism.

The only way i see him going to us at such a high pick--and its a big maybe--would be if Pete Carroll was coach and he brought Kiffen w/ him. But even then, i don't think that happens.

bam_19 (1/11/2008)
It's clear we have some major holes on this team, and well it appears were going to be rebuilding over the next two years. In this draft I hope the lay the ground work for that, and I hope our front office does as well (when we get one, honestly i read an article about terrance mathis wanting the job I wouldnt' be totally against it atleast he loves the team). I am going to do this draft wiht the picks we currently have I'm not going to speculate on what we get for Kerney (i really hope it's a thrid). I also think the Falcons should try to trade down and pick up an extra second as the second round of this draft is deep. So here we go.

Round 1 - Sedrick Ellis -DT-USC-6'1-305-4.96- Best DT IMO, would help in every aspect along the line.

Round 2 - Sam Baker -OT-USC -6'5 -307-5.15- A technician is needed at LT and this guy is that.

Round 2 - Jamal Charles -RB-Texas-6'1-205-4.39-A RB with quick cuts and good vision who is solid after first contact

Round 3 - John David Booty -QB-USC-6'3-210-4.92-Played against top competition, No QB jumps out I feel he has a good shot with the right coaching

Round 4 - Darrell Robertson -DE-GT-6'5-245-4.78- An edge rusher to help us get after the QB (the robert mathis mold)

Round 4 - Heath Benedict -OG/OT-Newberry-6'6-328-4.92 - Great Athlete, weak competition boom or bust (boom if he lives up to potential)

Round 5 - Jo-Lonn Dunbar -ILB-BC-6'1-228-4.79-Depth potential middle linebacker

Round 6 - Brandon Coutu -K-UGA-6'0-200-5.10-Big leg solves a big problem

Round 7 - Bobbie Williams -FS-Bethune-Cookman-6'0-214-4.55-Project saftey who has exclled agaisnt lower competiton

Round 7- Matt Flynn -QB-LSU-6'3-227-4.70-Developmental Pick, played against top comp, lack of experience.

Well there it is folks, Also I will stat right now i'm not a USC fan at all it just sort of worked out that way.

FINALLY!!! Someone who actually has a clue about the QB's in this draft. I like all the picks except for Baker in the 2nd. I think he's a bit over-rated myself. And I don't think that Flynn will last past the 3rd round. But good choices at QB man.

FINALLY!!! Someone who actually has a clue about the QB's in this draft. I like all the picks except for Baker in the 2nd. I think he's a bit over-rated myself. And I don't think that Flynn will last past the 3rd round. But good choices at QB man.

Thanks, I don't really know much about flynn but he looked good against Ohio St. And his stats were good against both ranked and unranked opponents. Most have him rated as a 6th-7th round prospect so I stuck him in.