Carroll Update from USC Blog

fsu_steve

"OK, we hear USC coach Pete Carroll and Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank spoke yesterday and had what was described as an ``extremely cordial'' conversation, according to a source. The Falcons informed Carroll they would interview other candidates and no job offer was discussed. At this point, it seems unlikely Carroll winds up in Atlanta."

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/20...ollfalcons.html

The only thing I hope that this Pete Carroll business doesn't do...

is delay us in hiring a GM. Because the longer it takes us to get a GM, the more likely we are to miss out on certain head coaching candidates.

And our chances or getting Carroll to come here is probably less that 5%. He has a good gig at USC. I don't know that he would leave it even under the perfect circumstances.

The only reason Pete Carroll was talked to was to ensure that Blank can say every stone was turned over. That he looked high and low, interviewed a bunch of candidates and this is the best guy. That is the reason for talking with Pete Carroll. The media is making more out if it because it is Pete Carroll. I am hoping we hire Ditimroff from NE for GM, then let him hire a HC.

FalconsHope (1/11/2008)
The only reason Pete Carroll was talked to was to ensure that Blank can say every stone was turned over. That he looked high and low, interviewed a bunch of candidates and this is the best guy. That is the reason for talking with Pete Carroll. The media is making more out if it because it is Pete Carroll. I am hoping we hire Ditimroff from NE for GM, then let him hire a HC.

Exactly, the main coaching / GM candidates are still in the playoffs outside of the Eagles so this "conversation" does nothing to our search. My hope is for McKenzie and Caldwell...Wolf / Dungy guys so I'm sure they would do an outstanding job.

Exactly, the main coaching / GM candidates are still in the playoffs outside of the Eagles so this "conversation" does nothing to our search. My hope is for McKenzie and Caldwell...Wolf / Dungy guys so I'm sure they would do an outstanding job.

Yes I am praying for McKenzie and Caldwell too!

I think as this thing spun up, Blank has actually started considering giving Carroll far-reaching powers as GM and HC. I mean despite how much we disliked Reeves personnel selections, he did have a decent success in a similar role.

Now if Carroll gives Blank the ultimatum that McKay is totally disbarred from the draft process and he'll take on the biggest fight of his life (our Falcons), I might be favorable to bringing him in. Although, without hindsight during McKay's last drafts, I was pretty happy with who he selected. I really thought those were better potential football players, but we aren't seeing it on the field, so I just don't know.

celtik