Mike Mayock calls Jake Long "the prototype left tackle"

halsey

grendel (1/10/2008)
What the **** has happened to Mayock this year? Has he always been this clueless, or has he had a stroke or something?

This makes me not believe his other rankings after conflicting so directly with what I've seen with my own eyes with Ryan and Jake Long.

So ig he disagrees with you then all of a sudden he must be clueless? I'll take the guy who has access to scouting tape, sits down to watch the guys on tape and is an experienced NFL player and analyst.

so sorry Halsey....that isn't in print. Every time I have seen Mayock talk about Ryan all he does is sing his praises, never any cons about Ryan or his ability.

He may be right about both...has a better chance of being right than I do. But I just don't see why all the Man-Love for Ryan from Mayock.(besides being a homer).

To get back to big boy....I have seen Long get smoked by speed rushers, but he could get coached up and turn into a stud LT. But he is no J.Thomas....more like W.Justice.

Steve_Bartkowski (1/10/2008)
Mayock is right in this case.

Long is a DOMINANT run blocker and a VERY SOLID pass protector. Some starting NFL RB is going to be very happy to hear Jake Long's name called when their team is drafting. I hope its Norwood and Dunn.

I hope it's Norwood and a guy like Mendenhall, or Felix Jones. But I still don't know how I feel about Long. Getting only a few Michigan games on TV each year, makes it hard to make a judgment on a player.

grendel (1/10/2008)
halsey (1/10/2008)
grendel (1/10/2008)
What the **** has happened to Mayock this year? Has he always been this clueless, or has he had a stroke or something?

This makes me not believe his other rankings after conflicting so directly with what I've seen with my own eyes with Ryan and Jake Long.

So ig he disagrees with you then all of a sudden he must be clueless? I'll take the guy who has access to scouting tape, sits down to watch the guys on tape and is an experienced NFL player and analyst.

I'll trust my own eyes, thanks.

And sit at home with out a job scouting players for a living and working for the NFL.

Why bring up a talking head of the media's opinion when he agrees with something you think? When is the last time on this board that people really cared about the BC asskisser, in particular. At best, he's a parrot capable of imitating simple words and phrases he learns from people at the office. At worst, he will die young because he forgets to breathe when no one is around to check on him.

grendel (1/10/2008)
Robb4242 (1/10/2008)And sit at home with out a job scouting players for a living and working for the NFL.

Did I miss the part where Mayock works for an NFL team? It'd be a pay cut for me to take a newspaper job or most of the scouting positions, so I'll stick with what I do, thanks ;)

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything about your job & if it came off like that I do apologize.

But what I was saying about Mayock is that he works for the NFL. Not a specific team, but the NFL as an organization (NFL Network draft analyst).

scott24falcs (1/10/2008)But I still don't know how I feel about Long. Getting only a few Michigan games on TV each year, makes it hard to make a judgment on a player.

I've watched him very closely in a few games against top competition this year like Ohio State and Florida. It's amazing to see an OT just PUSH defenders backwards consistently on running plays. He is simply dominant in the run game. There is no other word for it. In the passing game the only DE that I ever saw get the best of him was V Gholston of Ohio State and that was only for a couple of plays in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game Long handled him. Gholston is a top 3 DE in the country who will also have a great NFL career.

I like watching the guy in my sig push a hole threw most OLman and sack the QB or make him throw an INT.

Richard Nixon (1/10/2008)
Why bring up a talking head of the media's opinion when he agrees with something you think? When is the last time on this board that people really cared about the BC asskisser, in particular. At best, he's a parrot capable of imitating simple words and phrases he learns from people at the office. At worst, he will die young because he forgets to breathe when no one is around to check on him.

Yeah, he's all that just because he doesn't agree with you about Long. If he did, you wouldn't say all that about him.

FalcsForLife (1/11/2008)
I don't see how anyone could employ Mayock as a draft anilyst and I've been saying that for years.

Don't you think if Long was the prototypical LT then he would be playing LT at Michigan.

I don't where he has played his entire career, but he was the LT against Florida. He did a great job against Harvey as well.

grendel (1/11/2008)
BigSlick (1/11/2008)
FalcsForLife (1/11/2008)
I don't see how anyone could employ Mayock as a draft anilyst and I've been saying that for years.

Don't you think if Long was the prototypical LT then he would be playing LT at Michigan.

I don't where he has played his entire career, but he was the LT against Florida. He did a great job against Harvey as well.

Harvey was playing against the RT, I believe, or at least that's where he came from when he got his sack.

I don't doubt that they move him around. I know I watched Long v/s Harvey of the left side on a few plays.

grendel (1/10/2008)
scott24falcs (1/10/2008)But I still don't know how I feel about Long. Getting only a few Michigan games on TV each year, makes it hard to make a judgment on a player.

I've watched him very closely in a few games against top competition this year like Ohio State and Florida. It's amazing to see an OT just PUSH defenders backwards consistently on running plays. He is simply dominant in the run game. There is no other word for it. In the passing game the only DE that I ever saw get the best of him was V Gholston of Ohio State and that was only for a couple of plays in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game Long handled him. Gholston is a top 3 DE in the country who will also have a great NFL career.

Did you watch him against Florida? On several occasions on obvious passing downs I saw him slide inside to double team the DT and the TE or RB took the outside speed rusher one on one. It was clear to me that the Michigan coaches had gameplanned to keep Long from being left one-on-one against a speed rush.

Maybe there was some sort of slide protection at the line or simply a differnt series of pass protection.

halsey (1/11/2008)
Richard Nixon (1/10/2008)

Yeah, he's all that just because he doesn't agree with you about Long. If he did, you wouldn't say all that about him.

No one that has a real opinion on anything agrees with half of the ##### that comes out of his dicktrap.

Steve_Bartkowski (1/11/2008)
FalcsForLife (1/11/2008)

NEWS FLASH: Jake Long has been playing LT this whole season and gave up only 1 sack all season (against Gholston, a top 3 DE).

Well I watched 4 Michigan games this season and he played RT.

FalcsForLife (1/11/2008)
Steve_Bartkowski (1/11/2008)
FalcsForLife (1/11/2008)

NEWS FLASH: Jake Long has been playing LT this whole season and gave up only 1 sack all season (against Gholston, a top 3 DE).

Well I watched 4 Michigan games this season and he played RT.

Which 4 games were they?