Mara out of running for Falcons GM job

_T_E_C_O_

Chris Mara, the Giants VP of player evaluation, has decided he s not interested in becoming the new GM of the Atlanta Falcons.

I have withdrawn my name from consideration for the position of general manager for the Atlanta Falcons, Mara said in a statement released a few minutes ago by the Giants. I want to thank (Falcons owner) Arthur Blank for his interest in me, and we had a very good discussion earlier this week in Atlanta. However, I am no longer a candidate for the position.

Mara interviewed down in Atlanta on Tuesday, a few days after saying he wasn t sure if it was the right situation. Apparently it wasn t, and it s hard to blame him. After the Michael Vick disaster and the way Bobby Petrino skipped town, the Falcons are a mess.

It s good news for the Giants, of course. Mara, according to many sources around the league, has an outstanding eye for talent and will make an excellent GM for someone, someday.

texasbirdfan (1/10/2008)
Mara in other words.."thank you, I have done my due diligence in spying on the Falcons and there is not anything more we New York Football Giants need to know"

i read it a different way. i think he withdrew his name because he knew he wasn't going to get the job. coaches do this all the time when they interview for hc jobs

The Mara interview was nothing more than a favor. Mara has not proved himself to anyone in the NFL, yet. He wants to be a GM. His family is slowly losing control of the NYG franchise. He was not chosen to be the GM despite his efforts to use his family's influence. Hew had to settle for a personnel assistant in the organization.

In three seasons, when everyone has forgotten, Chris will be able to float the story that he was a "finalist" for the GM position in ATL. He will claim that at the time, he did not feel that it was the right situation for him. Afterall, every one will remember the turmoil the Falcons endured this season.

This boils down to a resume stuffer. A favor granted to the Mara family by Arthur. It doesn't cost Arthur and it helps Chris' candidacy for a future GM job elsewhere. My hope is that the favor will be returned, in short order, when we reach out to hire Spagnuolo.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/10/2008)

Chris Mara, the Giants VP of player evaluation, has decided he s not interested in becoming the new GM of the Atlanta Falcons.

I have withdrawn my name from consideration for the position of general manager for the Atlanta Falcons, Mara said in a statement released a few minutes ago by the Giants. I want to thank (Falcons owner) Arthur Blank for his interest in me, and we had a very good discussion earlier this week in Atlanta. However, I am no longer a candidate for the position.

Mara interviewed down in Atlanta on Tuesday, a few days after saying he wasn t sure if it was the right situation. Apparently it wasn t, and it s hard to blame him. After the Michael Vick disaster and the way Bobby Petrino skipped town, the Falcons are a mess.

It s good news for the Giants, of course. Mara, according to many sources around the league, has an outstanding eye for talent and will make an excellent GM for someone, someday.

Thanks for the info. Could you share the link to your source please? I trust you but would like to read more.

Heckert is the man.

Philadelphia_Eagles_helmet_rightface.png

bgarcia28 (1/10/2008)
The Mara interview was nothing more than a favor. Mara has not proved himself to anyone in the NFL, yet. He wants to be a GM. His family is slowly losing control of the NYG franchise. He was not chosen to be the GM despite his efforts to use his family's influence. Hew had to settle for a personnel assistant in the organization.

In three seasons, when everyone has forgotten, Chris will be able to float the story that he was a "finalist" for the GM position in ATL. He will claim that at the time, he did not feel that it was the right situation for him. Afterall, every one will remember the turmoil the Falcons endured this season.

This boils down to a resume stuffer. A favor granted to the Mara family by Arthur. It doesn't cost Arthur and it helps Chris' candidacy for a future GM job elsewhere. My hope is that the favor will be returned, in short order, when we reach out to hire Spagnuolo.

Hmmm....

14falcons (1/10/2008)
_T_E_C_O_ (1/10/2008)

Thanks for the info. Could you share the link to your source please? I trust you but would like to read more.

Heckert is the man.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/01/ma...ame_from_a.html

I originally got the story from the New York Daily News but for some reason I can't find it.

grendel (1/10/2008)
14falcons (1/10/2008)

Heckert is the man.

Can you stop posting that crappy Eagles helmet all over the board?

I could but I choose not to. The helmet represents the Heckert pictures that I have tired of posting because there just aren't that many pictures of Tom floating around on the net. The Helmet represents the type of Franchise I would like us to be, Even Blank has mentioned he would like our franchise to be like the Eagles franchise. The image evokes success.

When McKay joined, I liked his association with the Bucs. I think we saw some success from it too. Even if it was only temporary. I am hoping that Heckert can bring us some of the success the Eagles have enjoyed during the last five to ten years.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/10/2008)
14falcons (1/10/2008)
_T_E_C_O_ (1/10/2008)

Heckert is the man.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/01/ma...ame_from_a.html

I originally got the story from the New York Daily News but for some reason I can't find it.

Thanks. Hey did you note the quote at the end of the article you posted the link too? From the Giants press too no less.

This job sounds like it's going to Eagles GM Tom Heckert. We'll see. And if so, we'll see what that means for Spags.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/10/2008)
Rejection is never an easy thing to accept.

Especially when it happens over and over and over and over....

Interviewing doesn't translate into an offer. I never thought of him as a super serious candidate anyway, especially with his family ties to the NYG. We were not rejected, as far as I know we never offered him anything.