Gil Brandt says Dorsey could fall out of top 5 because of knees

atljbo

Dorsey s Knee Could Affect Draft Status

By Thayer Evans

Tags: Adrian Peterson, chop block, Gil Brandt, Glenn Dorsey, N.F.L. draft

NEW ORLEANS While the senior Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is seemingly the front-runner to be the first overall pick in April s N.F.L. draft, his stock could be impacted by a right knee injury that he sustained earlier this season.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block and was hampered by it the rest of the season. Yet he still won Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award this season.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he expected Dorsey s knee to be heavily scrutinized by N.F.L. team doctors at the N.F.L. combine in February.

Dorsey could find himself in a draft situation similar to Minnesota Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson, Brandt said. Many believed Peterson was the best prospect in last year s N.F.L. draft, but he was selected seventh over all because he was coming off a broken collarbone and had been hampered by injuries his previous two seasons.

I would imagine that there s some concern with his knee, Brandt said of Dorsey in a telephone interview. The teams doctors, 25 of them might say, There s nothing wrong with this guy. He s in great shape. Seven might say, Well, I think he s a risk.

But because Dorsey plays defensive tackle, a position more coveted in the N.F.L., his value may ultimately outweigh possible concerns about his knee, Brandt said. If he was the No. 1 overall pick in the N.F.L. Draft, he would be the first defensive tackle selected in that spot since the Cincinnati Bengals took Ohio State s Dan Wilkinson in 1994.

He s a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful human being, Brandt said of Dorsey. He s a great, great person. He s one of the nicest, politest guys you ll ever meet in your life. The guy is unbelievable athletically. The guy s got everything you want in a good football player.

So will Dorsey s knee injury negatively affect him in the draft? Will he be the first pick? Why or why not? If not, who will be?

If we could get him with the 5th pick....thats a steal to me

Other news that relates to this topic

L.S.U. defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is still undecided about playing in the 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl

atljbo (1/10/2008)
Dorsey s Knee Could Affect Draft Status

By Thayer Evans

Tags: Adrian Peterson, chop block, Gil Brandt, Glenn Dorsey, N.F.L. draft

NEW ORLEANS While the senior Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is seemingly the front-runner to be the first overall pick in April s N.F.L. draft, his stock could be impacted by a right knee injury that he sustained earlier this season.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block and was hampered by it the rest of the season. Yet he still won Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award this season.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he expected Dorsey s knee to be heavily scrutinized by N.F.L. team doctors at the N.F.L. combine in February.

Dorsey could find himself in a draft situation similar to Minnesota Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson, Brandt said. Many believed Peterson was the best prospect in last year s N.F.L. draft, but he was selected seventh over all because he was coming off a broken collarbone and had been hampered by injuries his previous two seasons.

I would imagine that there s some concern with his knee, Brandt said of Dorsey in a telephone interview. The teams doctors, 25 of them might say, There s nothing wrong with this guy. He s in great shape. Seven might say, Well, I think he s a risk.

But because Dorsey plays defensive tackle, a position more coveted in the N.F.L., his value may ultimately outweigh possible concerns about his knee, Brandt said. If he was the No. 1 overall pick in the N.F.L. Draft, he would be the first defensive tackle selected in that spot since the Cincinnati Bengals took Ohio State s Dan Wilkinson in 1994.

He s a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful human being, Brandt said of Dorsey. He s a great, great person. He s one of the nicest, politest guys you ll ever meet in your life. The guy is unbelievable athletically. The guy s got everything you want in a good football player.

So will Dorsey s knee injury negatively affect him in the draft? Will he be the first pick? Why or why not? If not, who will be?

If we could get him with the 5th pick....thats a steal to me

Other news that relates to this topic

L.S.U. defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is still undecided about playing in the 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl

I've been thumping for us to go OT with the first pick, but if Dosey actually slipped that far we would be FOOLS not to jump at it

grendel (1/10/2008)
Birdmahn (1/10/2008)
I may be way off base and the only guy in America who thinks this, but I'm not totally convinced Dorsey is going to be a great NFL player. He didn't impress me against Ohio State. Heck to me he didn't look like the best DL playing for LSU in that game.

:w00t::w00t:

Yes, I think you're the only guy in America who thinks that...

Dorsey had a GREAT game and was dominating the LOS...

Well dominating against OHIO STATE! hehe He could be the greatest thing ever, he just didn't overly impress me...and I wasn't even drinking :hehe:

A lot of people on here are saing that Dorsey is bigger than Ellis , no so my friends, go to College stats and check it out , Dorsey is 6-2 , 303 and Ellis is 6-2 , 305 . Plus dorsey's body fat is far greaterthan Ellis's . Plus some here don't know that Ellis is the strongest player in the draft .

Birdmahn (1/10/2008)
I may be way off base and the only guy in America who thinks this, but I'm not totally convinced Dorsey is going to be a great NFL player. He didn't impress me against Ohio State. Heck to me he didn't look like the best DL playing for LSU in that game.

He didn't look like the best DL because he was pretty much double teamed every play, freeing up the other D-lineman so they could be the "star". He still had something like 6 tackles, with 1 and 1/2 of those for a loss, and a sack, or something like that. And he's still not playing at 100% due to the cheap shot on his knee.

I agree.

If Dorsey can take a chop block like that, and keep going for the whole season, he's clearly not injury-prone. If the knee checks out ok, I think that whole issue actually becomes a positive.

As for the Ellis-Dorsey battle, they are both studs. I'll be interested to see how they weigh in and perform at the combine. I'll wait til then to make up my mind as to which I'd prefer. But either of them would be fine by me.

I'd hate to see us pass up Jake Long, but Dorsey or Ellis, plus an OT in the 2nd, might put a smile back on my face.