Dan Reeves had full control

Twinblade (1/10/2008)
Statick (1/10/2008)
Twinblade (1/10/2008)
Nobody complained and cry about that, so whats the difference?

Yes, we did.

Especially when Dan used to load up on TEs every draft.

Nope, never heard a sound of the crying and whimpering. I just think everybody is paranoid.

I hope you didn't hear sounds coming from a message board. If you're saying you did, then you're way past paranoid.

Dan has his due, but after our SB run, he loaded up on positions that weren't glaring needs, as far as I could see.

Statick (1/10/2008)
Twinblade (1/10/2008)
Statick (1/10/2008)
Twinblade (1/10/2008)
Nobody complained and cry about that, so whats the difference?

Yes, we did.

Especially when Dan used to load up on TEs every draft.

Nope, never heard a sound of the crying and whimpering. I just think everybody is paranoid.

I hope you didn't hear sounds coming from a message board. If you're saying you did, then you're way past paranoid.

Dan has his due, but after our SB run, he loaded up on positions that weren't glaring needs, as far as I could see.

Funny how the falcon fans im around has never complain and cry about the falcons, Its just funny seeing all these so called falcon fans on this message board cry because we are not getting what they wanted.

What are you talking about? People used to complain about Reeves' drafting all the time. It was a yearly topic of discussion.

I invite anyone who thought that Reeves was a good GM to go to http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...=0200&type=team and see exactly what his drafts were like (look at the ones between 1997 and 2003). If you do some digging, you'll discover some ASTONISHING draft misses (like drafting Jammi German instead of Hines Ward, for crying out loud). Sure, he had some good picks (2001 was solid), but overall his draft record was dreadful, especially when it came to wide receivers.

An NFL head coach simply has too much on his plate to devote enough time to both the head coaching and GM jobs. It's a bad idea as a general rule to give one man both jobs.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/10/2008)
What are you talking about? People used to complain about Reeves' drafting all the time. It was a yearly topic of discussion.

I invite anyone who thought that Reeves was a good GM to go to http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...=0200&type=team and see exactly what his drafts were like (look at the ones between 1997 and 2003). If you do some digging, you'll discover some ASTONISHING draft misses (like drafting Jammi German instead of Hines Ward, for crying out loud). Sure, he had some good picks (2001 was solid), but overall his draft record was dreadful, especially when it came to wide receivers.

An NFL head coach simply has too much on his plate to devote enough time to both the head coaching and GM jobs. It's a bad idea as a general rule to give one man both jobs.

Direwolf

They complained on a message board, whoopie.....

Twinblade (1/10/2008)
direwolf (1/10/2008)

Direwolf

Dude, YOU'RE the one coming on said message board looking for answers.:laugh:

We gave you our opinions. If you don't like them, then don't ask.

Statick (1/10/2008)
Twinblade (1/10/2008)
direwolf (1/10/2008)

Direwolf

Dude, YOU'RE the one coming on said message board looking for answers.:laugh:

We gave you our opinions. If you don't like them, then don't ask.

I wasn't looking for answers thank you very much and I hate to break this to you, Rice will not be a falcon.

It's true that Reeves was a better coach than anyone we've had since. But that wasn't the point of this thread.

And, by the way, the disapproval of Reeves' drafts was pretty universal. The AJC gave us an "F" in 2003, which prompted Arthur Blank to write an angry letter. Every pundit known to man blasted pretty much every draft he had. Sports radio shows were chalk full of people freaking out about them.

If you never heard anyone upset about one of Dan Reeves' drafts, you just weren't listening.

Direwolf

Bringing in Dan Reeves was by far the best thing the Smith family ever did for this franchise.

Regardless of what you believe the draft is liking throwing darts, you know where you are aiming, you just don't know where it's going to land. Most draft picks don't mature until years down the road and it's impossible to know how dedicated they will be to becoming the best player possible.

samuel brooks (1/10/2008)
taylor smith hired and gave all duties to reeves he got us to superbowl and blank bought team and fired reeves before season was over complain about reeves drafts all you want but had blank not fired him we might have won a superbowl by now we wouldn't be laughing stock of the nfl that's for sure

When Blank acquired the team he stripped Reeves of the GM duties and gave him a 3-year extension to be head coach. The mistake Blank made was NOT letting Reeves go once he acquired the team.

DirtyBirdOne (1/10/2008)
samuel brooks (1/10/2008)
taylor smith hired and gave all duties to reeves he got us to superbowl and blank bought team and fired reeves before season was over complain about reeves drafts all you want but had blank not fired him we might have won a superbowl by now we wouldn't be laughing stock of the nfl that's for sure

When Blank acquired the team he stripped Reeves of the GM duties and gave him a 3-year extension to be head coach. The mistake Blank made was NOT letting Reeves go once he acquired the team.

then firing reeves was his 2nd mistake
formul8or (1/10/2008)
I think the consensus is great coach, bad GM. I see the same for Carrol.

I think the consensus should be a great coach, fairly good GM. He drafted Kernny, Alge, Vick. He gets alot of flack about drafting TEnds but that is a very important position to have a balanced offense. The TE position is really the most important position to have a balanced offense. Reggie Kelly the running back from Mich st should have been all pros but they were lazy.