Sean Salisbury on ESPN

Just listened to Sean Salisbury on ESPN discussing the Pete Carroll rumors. While he admits he is a USC grad and doesn't want to see PC leave the program, he was adamant in saying it would be a huge mistake for any owner to offer any coach full control over personnel issues with the team. He believes in today's NFL that just won't work. You hire a coach to coach and a good GM who can evaluate talent to do the personnel work.

woodstockfan (1/9/2008)
Just listened to Sean Salisbury on ESPN discussing the Pete Carroll rumors. While he admits he is a USC grad and doesn't want to see PC leave the program, he was adamant in saying it would be a huge mistake for any owner to offer any coach full control over personnel issues with the team. He believes in today's NFL that just won't work. You hire a coach to coach and a good GM who can evaluate talent to do the personnel work.

I agree with this 100%.

We could be talking semantics here, but Reid has the "final say" in personnel issues; the Eagles have a GM (Heckert). What I understand with the PC issue is "total control" over personnel. It sounds like we wouldn't even have a GM--maybe a staff of scouts to merely gather data. Carroll would be HC/GM.

Andrew (1/9/2008)
Well he has done a pretty good job evaluating talent at USC.

True.

But that is the premier college football program on the west coast. You have kids all over the west who BEG to get into USC. He gets the cream of the crop in talent. I am not saying he isn't doing anything, but I don't know if you can compare the challenges or recruiting and evaluating talent at USC to any of the SEC schools. USC doesn't have a whole lot of competition for the blue chip recruits.

falcoholic (The Commish) (1/9/2008)
Andy Reid's done pretty well (most years) since having final say on personnel. Parcells did well having (mostly) final say on personnel. But I do see Sean's point.

i think we can all say those two are a different breed of coaches. i wouldn't put carrol in that group just yet.

i'm in the belief we need a strong gm seperate from the coach.

There is also a huge difference in recruiting for a college program like USC and running an NFL draft, dealing with salary cap issues, free agency, etc. I think Salisbury's point was in today's NFL there is no way one person can do all of this and coach the team. And it would be a huge mistake for an owner to consider giving all of this over to any coaching candidate.