How can anyone be resistant to Carroll being our coach and GM?

Your arguments stink. They are:

1. He is a college coach.

HE COACHED FOR 15 YEARS IN THE NFL!

2. Last year he was a college coach.

AT THE BEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN THE NATION, WHICH HE MADE BETTER I MIGHT ADD!

3. He has no experience as a GM.

We were about to hire a guy who was Philly's GM yet he never had final say over personnel decisions.

If you are going to moan and cry about Blank wanting Carroll to come here, please do two things for me. First, go read up about Pete Carroll. Second, explain how any of the candidates that are actually in consideration (not Cowher) would be better for the Falcons.

grendel (1/9/2008)
In college, he can go out and recruit as many players as they have scholarships for... He can get 15 future 1st round picks per year, if he can find them. There's no salary cap, there's no draft, there's just recruiting, and he's the best at it.

It's questionable whether he's even that great of a coach at the college level. I mean, if I had USC's recruiting classes and soft-as-cake schedules, I could probably manage 8-10 wins.

In the NFL, here are his coaching credentials:

Year Team Record Playoffs Other Notes

1994 New York Jets 6-10 none Lost final 6 games; Carroll was fired

1997 New England Patriots 10-6 1-1 Division champions

1998 New England Patriots 9-7 0-1

1999 New England Patriots 8-8 none Carroll was fired

So he barely did better than .500 and got fired twice in 4 years of NFL coaching...

Barely did over .500? Ok, in New York he didn't even get a chance, but in New England he never had a losing season. He had back-to-back winning seasons and two playoff appearances as well, including 1 playoff win and 1 divisional championship.

That's better than Mike Singletary (very little coaching experience), Jim Caldwell (isn't he like 20-60 as a HC??), and Jason Garrett (see Singletary), I think.....

The Patriots were not as bad when he came as when he left. His time there wasted prime years of some of their best players, and the last years for a few, while the entire team treaded water and never progressed with him as a HC. Eventually the offense fell apart save for Drew Bledsoe, one of many to waste away what should have been his best years, and Carroll was fired to the relief of the fans and everyone in the organization.

My problem is that his success at USC is due to the talent that the team has vs every other team that they play.

He's not drafting players for USC. He's recruiting them and those players are pretty well known.

Are there even "sleeper" recruits? If so who because I really don't follow college football enough to know that.

bigbirdfan75 (1/9/2008)
Your arguments stink. They are:

1. He is a college coach.

HE COACHED FOR 15 YEARS IN THE NFL!

2. Last year he was a college coach.

AT THE BEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN THE NATION, WHICH HE MADE BETTER I MIGHT ADD!

3. He has no experience as a GM.

We were about to hire a guy who was Philly's GM yet he never had final say over personnel decisions.

If you are going to moan and cry about Blank wanting Carroll to come here, please do two things for me. First, go read up about Pete Carroll. Second, explain how any of the candidates that are actually in consideration (not Cowher) would be better for the Falcons.

Right now I am not totally 100% for or against hiring Pete Carroll IF he wants to come here and STAY here for a while and he is committed to that then I would be ok with it. As far as the GM position goes he certainly knows a good player when he sees him whether he's in high school, college, or the NFL.